StudentsReview :: Quinebaug Valley Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Quinebaug Valley Community College

The school is okay and the work isBrightOther
The school is okay and the work is easy but I would recommend going elsewhere if you can afford it, it will look better if you are planning on transferring. Teachers and staff are moderate to really great. other students are pretty 'cliquey,' if you don't hang out the computer lab talking about smoking pot and goofing around you will be out of the loop.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D
Are you KIDDING! I have been looking atAverageEducation
Are you KIDDING! I have been looking at future schools I want to go after QVCC and all I see is C's and F's then I check out QVCC and its a A! are you joking! This school is horrible! It isnt even a school its more like a high school! Hell qvcc wants money so bad they are building a HIGH SCHOOL onto the college. We already have annoying arrogant trouble making high schoolers who go to qvcc called the QHS.

I can't believe what positive comments I have read. Hirst!!! ARE YOU JOKING that teacher showed up twice for her class from what my friend told me and I had her for lib. arts and she would show up late ..assign homework that meant NOTHING and then even would assign a project and forget about it. She never gave us grades or gave our corrected work back.

If you need to go to a community college cause of money and location then fine go to this school hell i would again myself just because of those two reasons but GET OUT soon as you can. I am so stressed of going to qv.

Most of my classes are night which is horrible sitting in a class 6:30- 9:30 at night listening to someone talk and talk and talk. The classes are easy they really are I do not feel its challenging at all and I'll be honest I am not a super smart student.

Another major issue I have had over the years of being there are its such a small school with SO many people inside. There is never a spot open in the library to grab a computer if it isnt an ACTUAL college student working on homework then its the high schoolers who are sitting on it for facebook! (hell i was in lib. and a teacher came in to tell the high school girl next to me to get back to class, after a long argument he left to call the police to expel the student and kick her off campus.) This also goes for the computer lab and any other free space around school. I have actually went into empty rooms just to work on homework until a class kicks me out or i would study in my car because of the amount of people taking up space.

Teacher's I have experienced do not care if you have a life outside of school. Sue Spencer could care less if you have two jobs, kids, rent to pay, and a broken car, etc etc you either make it to every pointless class or you fail. And if your not her favorite or any of the early education teachers favorites ... GOOD LUCK cause they wont give two shits about you. The teachers there care more about you showing up to class and assigning their scheduled homework then caring if the students learned what they are suppose to and experienced it they way they need to.

and when i mean pointless i literally mean the majority of class would be doing nothing but talking. and i found myself knowing when one of those classes when happen so i wouldnt show just so i can do other stuff. and teachers will mark you. you can be sick or dying they will still mark you. i had to be hospitalized for a day after being horribly sick for a week unable to move and my teacher still said well your getting 70% of attendance which will drop your A grade. WHAT!

I took a photography class and showed up for maybe two weeks of the school semester ... this teacher did not care about attendance thank god. we did NOTHING in class no notes no tests no photo taking in class ... he would say leave go home take photos come back next week will show your photos and the end. i got a A in that class and learned nothing at all!

Don't get me wrong my first semester there was wonderful because I just got out of high school and the college was college lol there were no high school kids there and the amount of students was alright. soon after tho it changed and went all down hill.

GOOD LUCK finding a parking space in the winter or heck even the first few weeks of school. better get there early. I found myself parking at the daycare center behind the school because so many people were parking in the grass and in front of other cars.

The work study program is horrid you get the job for a dam month before they fire you cause of lack of funding. FUNDING ARE YOU KIDDING how about the school starts to pay me instead of the state since your getting all this money from high school students!

Instead of updating or expanding qvcc they decide to add a high school. I can not wait for the day I leave this school for good. If it helps any I am twenty years old, I work, I drive back and forth to school and I keep my GPA to a B average.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F
I transferred after one lousy semester at theQuite Bright
I transferred after one lousy semester at the University of Maine. I learned more at QVCC in the first WEEK than I did at UMaine. Excellent place to attend. Obviously social life/extracurricular isn't excellent, but the college serves its purpose very well. I wasn't a NUMBER. That was really a nice change in pace. I love it here, it feels kinda like high school, and I used to grimace at the thought of ever attending a *gasp* local community college after graduating. It was so much better than my previous university. And CHEAP. Yes, some of the under achievers from high school are here, but not soley.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007