StudentsReview :: Southern Connecticut State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southern Connecticut State University

Aug 21 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
this school is a joke. I hope you dont make the same mistake I did
Jul 14 2014Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Southern is honestly just like ANY OTHER COLLEGE. They have classes that aren't counted in your credits but is a requirement. They have a lot of extra curricular activities there and on weekends the schools pretty dead since people leave campus for work or whatever. It's diverse and you may meet people that isn't your crowd. Don't waste your time with only partying believe me I know it's great but, not worth partying all the time, but can be a good stress release. There are some parties every week or some event. The faculty can be somewhat helpful it honestly all depends on your needs. OH BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE BOOKSTORE UNLESS IT'S AN ABSOLUTE MUST. PRICES ARE CRAZY. I honestly kind of wished I went to a community college first but then I wouldn't have met some cool people. Southern isn't all that bad, everyone has different experiences, some teachers are crazy and a pain, LEARN TIME MANAGEMNT so you wont have breakdowns like me. Make your own deadlines so you won't do assignments last minute.
Friendliness: A, Campus Aesthetics: C-
Jun 10 2014Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
My academic experience at Southern was EXCELLENT. This school has what you need if you're willing to go after it, so make sure you're informed and proactive. A lot of students didn't seem to take school as seriously, so, yes, the atmosphere wasn't the "brightest". However, I sought out those individuals who were like-minded and I had no problems. As a member of the Honors College my tuition was completely paid for (best decision I could have made as I now have NO student loans). The smaller class sizes (both in and out of honors classes) were really conducive for fostering relationships with professors, and those relationships helped me get a job right out of graduation, and will help me when I apply for graduate school in the fall. The social life at Southern is a bore (as most people are commuters) and the food is pretty bad. But, hey, it was all about the education for me. I had my core group of friends and we all took school pretty seriously. If we felt like doing something fun on the weekend there was no problem getting into downtown New Haven for food, drinks, and dancing. House parties were always fun too! Academic clubs were prevalent (I was a part of both clubs for my major and became president of one). Not too many non-academic clubs that I was aware of, though. Honestly, so happy I went to Southern. Met some of the best and brightest professors I'll probably ever meet. My thesis advisor worked with me over the summer and sometimes into the late afternoon/evenings when we needed to hammer out the work. Looking back on it now, I'm so glad I chose Southern over UCONN. I would have been just a number! Southern's psychology department is a real gem too. Many of the professors in the dept. went to top notch schools and they actually know how to TEACH. Can't say enough about how awesome they were. They really helped me to see my own potential and I will be forever grateful!
Starting Job: Research Assistant Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F