StudentsReview :: Southern Connecticut State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southern Connecticut State University

My academic experience at Southern was EXCELLENT

Jun 10 2014Psychology
My academic experience at Southern was EXCELLENT. This school has what you need if you're willing to go after it, so make sure you're informed and proactive. A lot of students didn't seem to take school as seriously, so, yes, the atmosphere wasn't the "brightest". However, I sought out those individuals who were like-minded and I had no problems. As a member of the Honors College my tuition was completely paid for (best decision I could have made as I now have NO student loans). The smaller class sizes (both in and out of honors classes) were really conducive for fostering relationships with professors, and those relationships helped me get a job right out of graduation, and will help me when I apply for graduate school in the fall. The social life at Southern is a bore (as most people are commuters) and the food is pretty bad. But, hey, it was all about the education for me. I had my core group of friends and we all took school pretty seriously. If we felt like doing something fun on the weekend there was no problem getting into downtown New Haven for food, drinks, and dancing. House parties were always fun too! Academic clubs were prevalent (I was a part of both clubs for my major and became president of one). Not too many non-academic clubs that I was aware of, though. Honestly, so happy I went to Southern. Met some of the best and brightest professors I'll probably ever meet. My thesis advisor worked with me over the summer and sometimes into the late afternoon/evenings when we needed to hammer out the work. Looking back on it now, I'm so glad I chose Southern over UCONN. I would have been just a number! Southern's psychology department is a real gem too. Many of the professors in the dept. went to top notch schools and they actually know how to TEACH. Can't say enough about how awesome they were. They really helped me to see my own potential and I will be forever grateful!
Starting Job: Research Assistant Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F

i am not a fan of this school

Dec 22 2013Anthropology
i am not a fan of this school. Some of the professors are unhelpful while others are not. A lot of the students are very stuck up and self absorbed. It is hard to meet people at this school as the relationships with them never last. I really suggest staying away from this school if you can especially since the surrounding city is very bad. Prices of supplies/books are double-triple the retail price! so buy your books online.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
Useful Schoolwork: C+, Education Quality: F

I don't have enough time to write a

Dec 30 2013Unknown
I don't have enough time to write a full review about how terrible this school is but I so have time to talk about the lack of professionalism in the bookstore. Southern's bookstore is a joke, scam, and a shame to the Southern Connecticut State University image. Full of trivial employees and managers milking students for what little money they have. My professor notified the bookstore that he would be using a different book than that on the bookstores records prior to the start of the semester. He asked them to let students know not to buy the required text for his consumer behavior class because a $200 text is outrageous. Apparently this went in one incompetent employees ear and out the other. When buying my textbooks they reassured me that a $200 paperback book was the new book my teacher wanted. Of course this was the wrong book and when I returned a couple weeks later to return it they told me I could not return my textbook without my teacher emailing them (which he did weeks prior to the semester)?!? In class the next week our professor got fed up with the lack of communication from the bookstore after his numerous emails that he stop class to call the bookstore himself. He called the bookstore and explained his students needed to return their books and he was still given an attitude from the employee on the other line. So a week later I figured I could finally return my textbook and I was told they received confirmation from my teacher but they were no longer excepting returns?!?! I ask to speaker to the manager and explained I just want to get the right text book. When the manager came over he just walked right past me and said "we're not excepting returns anymore" and continued to hide in his office. End of story is that I never ended being able to return my textbook and spent an additional $80 on the real textbook I needed. I know this review won't help to remove the people in power that need to be removed I just want to bring awareness to the scam southern is promoting in the lower level of the student center. I urge anyone reading this to avoid the bookstore at all costs no one has a clue what they are doing. PLEASE buy your textbooks online or else where if you want to pay fair prices and avoid rude customer service.