StudentsReview :: Southern Connecticut State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southern Connecticut State University

PLEASE AVOID THIS SCHOOL.Quite BrightComputer Science
PLEASE AVOID THIS SCHOOL. This school lacks helpful professors. Half of them can't even speak English, so how do they expect you to learn? The area around the campus is disgusting. I payed 8,000 to go to this school last semester with all of their stupid UNIVERSITY fees. The registrar, financial aid office, and advising is unprofessional. You will be placed in classes with over 100 students with shitty teachers. Please do not go to this school. There are plenty of other schools with better academic programs.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Extracurricular Activities: B-, Education Quality: F
My degree from SouthernEducation
My degree from Southern not only prepared me for my job but it's reputation as an Educational Institution from New England greatly helped in getting a job. In education today, I would recommend that students get more than one area of certification.
Nobody is helpful around here.Quite BrightBiology
Nobody is helpful around here. I am a recent transfer student from a tiny college in Virginia, so I am used to a lot of one-on-one relationships with my professors. I knew coming to a large university such as Southern would be very different, but with that being said I am extremely disappointed in the faculty. They are snobby and don't really care. For instance, I've been asking my biology professor to meet with me during his office hours, seeing as they are by appointment only, and every single time I set up an appointment he does not show up. I have set up four appointments so far and he hasn't showed up for one. Class registration is approaching and I have no idea how to sign up for classes. You have to meet with your advisor in order to set up a schedule and to get a registration pin, but please tell me, how am I going to set up a schedule with my advisor when I don't know who my advisor is?

Not only is my biology professor a disappointment, so are the books that the school writes and requires you to buy in order to take certain classes. The chemistry books for this year are actually missing a chapter. Wouldn't you proofread a book you're going to mass produce? Along with the book missing a chapter the DVDs that are given with the lab manuals don't work either, so I spent $150 on a book that is missing a chapter and a lab manual with a DVD (that I have to watch) that doesn't work. Now, my chemistry lab professor is fabulous. She was extremely helpful until this past week. We had a lab report due last week for the lab that we had conducted the previous week. Well, she gave us an opportunity to take a look at the rubric that she was going to base our grades off of which was extremely helpful seeing as I, like most students, like to know what I am going to be graded on. My professor came in this past week and explained how she is no longer allowed to do that because she got into a lot of trouble with the head of the Chemistry department. Now, I don't know if it's just me, but I don't like to be surprised by the grade I am going to receive in a class or on a major assignment. I think it is extremely unfair for them to not give us any indication on what we are going to be graded on during a major writing assignment. I like to be prepared for class and walking in and not knowing if I did extremely well on the first lab report or if I completely failed it isn't fair. As well as not giving us any indication on what we are being graded on, when they do try to help us it doesn't work. The links to videos o the university's website that are supposed to help us generate our graphs no longer exist. Also, we have a chemistry class taught at the end of every week to review the concepts and we have a quiz at the end of class. Now this professor is different than my lecture professor, its like this for everyone, but she was going over examples from a worksheet that the class had asked her to go over. Well, she did the problem and got the wrong answer and said, "Let's just pretend my answer is correct." The students in the class had no idea how to do the problem and we had a quiz right after. Needless to say over half of the class failed the quiz.

The moral of this review is don't come to Southern. If you are thinking about coming here you better be ready to be very independent.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018