StudentsReview :: Southern Connecticut State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Southern Connecticut State University

Total Grad Surveys 8
Females 7
Males 1
Avg years at University 2.4
Research Quality D (2.6)
Research Availability D- (1.6)
Research Funding B (6.7)
Graduate Politics C (4.6)
Not Errand Runners D+ (3.1)
Degree Completion B- (6.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (6.9)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.2)
Competitiveness C- (3.7)
Education Quality D+ (3.2)
Faculty Accessibility D+ (2.8)
Useful Research D+ (3.4)
"Individual" treatment D (2.2)
Friendliness D (2.3)
Safety C+ (5.0)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.0)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.0)
University Spending C- (3.9)
Extracurriculars C (4.5)
Scholastic Success C- (4.1)
Surrounding City B (6.8)
Social Life/ Environment C (4.7)
Research AvailabilityD-
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]B
More time spent on bureaucratic obligations than onNov 29 2011School of Information
More time spent on bureaucratic obligations than on actual schoolwork. Taking mostly online courses exacerbates matters: students are left to fend for themselves with no student handbooks, guidelines for the program, no deadlines given for important matters (course registration, thesis, graduation). The only reminders we receive: tuition payment due dates & sales at the bookstore. Their website is horrible. Important information is buried, or suddently appears when it is too late. Policies change in mid-semester, professors and advisors give conflicting information, students are forced to purchase $100+ portfolio software as graduation requirement, only to be told a few weeks later: not needed. And professors: it's a game of Russian roulette. Some very bright, demanding ones who can push you to your brain's limits. Others should be teaching grade school; they never prepare you for the few real classes in which you will find yourself. Do yourself a favor: stay out of SCSU as a graduate student. You're better off going broke at a school that really cares about your education, not your wallet.
Typical state schoolAug 02 2011School of Information
Typical state school. Students are rewarded for surviving all the bureaucratic red tape, complicated and sudden policy changes, rather for learning anything useful.
After my experience at UCLA for my undergraduateJun 02 2011English
After my experience at UCLA for my undergraduate degree, I chose to pursue my graduate degree at a public institution. It has been the worst decision of my life. My experience with the faculty and the bureaucracy has been more than frustrating. My advisor retired over a year ago, and I have still not been able to schedule an appointment with my new assigned advisor: she has not even returned one of my emails or phone calls. I sent messages to professors about important matters and if they get back to me at all, it's usually not for at least a week. The courses make no sense and do not provide the scaffolding for the degree and certification (Secondary Language Arts), the English Department Education coordinators are all new hires and seem to be making up the rules as they go along. My university supervisor for student teaching, for example, changed her mind five times about important matters without consulting once on any of her decisions (about my life, by the way). I was warned by a good friend who is a Dean at Connecticut College that SCSU has a reputation for being inferior and having a huge chip on its shoulder as a result, and I have found that to be the best statement to summarize my totally negative experience there. The professors are lazy and condescending. I am surprised that it keeps its accredidation. DO NOT GO TO GRADUATE SCHOOL HERE! It's a nightmare.
I am a business person returning to schoolApr 01 2009Political Science
I am a business person returning to school to update my education in order to switch fields. Southern faculty is helpful and available in my department. I wish there were more opportunities to get to know other students in my area of concentration. I am not aware of any clubs or organizations to get involved with and don't have the time to look into it myself. The university could be more proactive trying to bring comraderie to the school.
Not a great MPH programMar 24 2009Public Health
Not a great MPH program. It is often difficult to reach advisors. There are a lot of "rules" that the faculty very randomly. Everything within the program is graded in a very biased/subjective manner. It is a very unchallenging program. If I were you i would opt to go to another school. There is NO focus on international health- what is Public Health without international health focus? The professors are a bunch of lunatics and honestly need to all retire because their teaching style is out-dated.
I did not go here for undergrad andDec 11 2008Education
I did not go here for undergrad and I am so surprised at the amount of bureaucracy I have had to navigate through since getting into the program. Nobody has any time for you, the program itself is incredibly poorly designed and makes it almost impossible to work your way through school because some classes are only offered during the day. Its almost as if none of the professors actually sat down and gave the program some thought from a students perspective. Some of the staff are very nice, but on the whole it seems that no one can spare a minute. There is not a whole lot of transparency with the program either. For example, pre-requisites for classes are not actually listed in the catalog given to you, so you need to ask your adviser to lay out your entire program because you won't be able to yourself. Your very nearly crippled as soon as you are into the program by a painstakingly slow and ill-conceived progression of courses. That is not to say that the teachers are not brilliant, all of them are highly intelligent and talented. However, nothing is made easy at this school, it just doesn't seem to work. I would HIGHLY suggest exploring other options before thinking about a special ed program through southern.
Compare SCSUSave SCSU