StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

I had the most

May 20 2014Finance
I had the most amazing experience at UConn. I challenged myself to go back after receiving my undergraduate degree. I wanted to learn. And, I did. Had the best teachers and the best education.
Starting Job: n/a Preparedness: B Reputation: B+

I love UCONN! The school spirit is fantastic,

Apr 14 2014Biology
I love UCONN! The school spirit is fantastic, the university is beautiful, and the biology program is exceptional and highly regarded. If I had to do it all again, I would choose UCONN, no doubt. The honors program is a great way of making attending sucha big school into a more personal experience. One piece of advice: it is occasionally difficult to get in touch with professors as they are often busy with research.
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

UConn is a great school and keeps getting

May 04 2014Chemical Engineering
UConn is a great school and keeps getting better. I just finished my freshmen year as a Materials Science and Engineering Major with a concentration in Nanotechnology and Ethics, with minors in Computer Science, Math, and Physics, so as you can imagine, I've been busy. But what I think really sets UConn apart from the other schools that I've seen my friends at is how much room there is to grow.

Let me elaborate.
There are so many opportunities to travel, do research, and do fun activities (skydiving club!) that are made possible because we are such a well funded and large campus. And all of these opportunities have the potential to land you in a leadership position that will look great on a resume. I love that part of UConn because I have really come out of my shell in college by getting involved around campus and as a result I am not a number in the system, I am a name that professors and department heads know because of how much I do in terms of academics, volunteer work, and community involvement.

A word of advice:

Anywhere you chose to go to school, you're going to have a miserable time if you do not get involved. You will just be a number in the system if you chose to go to college and just party on the weekends and study during the week, so I don't want to hear anyone complaining about that at UConn because well WHAT DID YOU EXPECT. UConn is becoming more and more competitive every year and with that, we are getting some of the brightest and most diverse people from around the region and beyond. If you want to stand out, then DO SOMETHING. The main complaints I've heard about UConn have been the night life (I will address in the next paragraph) and the lack of individual attention. This is college, no professor has the time to look through their tests to see who deserves a special pat on the back. If you want individual attention, GO ASK FOR IT. Show up to office hours and the professors will be more then happy to talk for as long as you'd like about whatever your little heart desires. Most people are just too nervous to ever do it.

NIGHT LIFE:
It's certainly lacking as a freshmen. With Greek life being big, if you're looking to party 3 nights a week, I would highly suggest joining a frat. You'll get the experience that you're looking for.

As a science major however, you may be left out of that scene, especially your freshmen year. Again, I think the key would be to get involved with some clubs and trips, you'll meet upperclassmen and other people who you can hang out on the weekends with, without having to trek all the way to party houses to get crammed into a basement with drunk people. That is just my experience though.UCONN is an amazing school but you need to take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Say "Yes" to things you would normally say "No" to (that is not meant to be taken sexually). You'll see how easy it is to grow and have a great time doing it. Thanks for reading all this.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017