StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

What a blast I've had going to UConn.Not so brightPsychology
What a blast I've had going to UConn. Go Huskies! I love my couse work and professors. I've been at UConn for 3 years and have a pretty good perspective on the university. Like any college your experience will be a reflection of how you involved yourself or took advantage of the university experience. You have to work hard to be bored at UConn. Although the campus is on a small town, most of the action in on campus anyway. I do miss the convience of have shopping and restaruants just off campus, but I'll take the trade-off for the lack of safety that often accompany bigger cities. The facilities and faculty are first rate and the sports and entainment venues are some of the best in the country. It's very easy to get spoiled here until you visit another college and see what you are not missing. I think UConn is becoming a target school for more potential students because I've heard that it is harder to get in than previous years. I guess that's a good thing as long as you can get accepted by admissions.

My only real negative comment is about the lack of student parking. They probably won't take care of that before I graduate though.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2010
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Individual Value: F
When I was first applying to schools myQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
When I was first applying to schools my senior year of high school, I wanted a big campus with D1 sports, but also a good education. All signs pointed to UConn because of its highly acclaimed business school and Husky basketball. Little did I know that there was about a 5% chance of getting tickets to the games, and I had to complete two years of general education courses before even stepping foot into the Business School. I am a rising sophomore and plan to transfer somewhere else for my second semester. I would say about 95% of the student body parties... and parties harddddd. My hallmates drink almost every night, as does most of the school, and on the weekends there is very little to do except go to "off-campus" parties crowded with hoards of people in apartment complexes. I guess I was looking for a school where partying was an option, not the only option. That being said, there are intramural sports and club activities offered during the week and some weekends. Although, because of the 17,000 plus undergrad population, it is difficult as a freshman to reserve a spot for anything. As for academics, every major is different. I have friends who major in chemistry and engineering who say the course work is so unbelievably difficult, and still they get fail exams. Gen eds for the school of business are relatively easy, but in turn, horrible professors. You are absolutely a number at this school, no matter how hard you try to meet with your teachers. In lecture halls of 350, it's hard to ask questions unless you want to speak to a TA, who most likely has a difficult time speaking english. For the introductary general courses, almost all of your grades are calculated by 3 or 4 exams throughout the semester. If you are not a great test taker, this can be awful. As for the surrounding city, there isn't one. Storrs is UConn, and UConn is Storrs. Perhaps you would like to go to Hartford or Boston for the weekend? Or maybe just Walmart to get some food? You can't. You aren't allowed to have a car on campus until you are a junior, and there is no shuttle bus transportation except around the campus, which gets pretty small after a few weeks. Maybe UConn is for some people, but if you are looking for a great education with caring professors, activities that don't involve getting wasted, a fun city, and peers who care about academics, please choose a different institution. Good luck with the college process, and remember, stay true to yourself! If a school doesn't fit your needs now, it most likely won't when you get there either. Bon voyage! : )
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Collaboration/Competitive: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I would leave UConn if it wasn't forQuite BrightSocial Work
I would leave UConn if it wasn't for my major and they way I see my classes and major spanning out. I love it academically, it's challenging, but not overly difficult. If you're an average smart person, you'd be fine. But, if you don't drink or party, find somewhere else to go. I don't drink or party and I pretty much find myself doing nothing. It's hard to meet people who don't want to get wasted every night and just want to hang out. I got lucky and my roommate doesn't drink either, but it can be difficult to not be bored out of your mind when you don't want to go out and party. So overall, UConn is amazing academically, and pretty shitty if you don't party/drink.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011