StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

When I was first applying to schools myQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
When I was first applying to schools my senior year of high school, I wanted a big campus with D1 sports, but also a good education. All signs pointed to UConn because of its highly acclaimed business school and Husky basketball. Little did I know that there was about a 5% chance of getting tickets to the games, and I had to complete two years of general education courses before even stepping foot into the Business School. I am a rising sophomore and plan to transfer somewhere else for my second semester. I would say about 95% of the student body parties... and parties harddddd. My hallmates drink almost every night, as does most of the school, and on the weekends there is very little to do except go to "off-campus" parties crowded with hoards of people in apartment complexes. I guess I was looking for a school where partying was an option, not the only option. That being said, there are intramural sports and club activities offered during the week and some weekends. Although, because of the 17,000 plus undergrad population, it is difficult as a freshman to reserve a spot for anything. As for academics, every major is different. I have friends who major in chemistry and engineering who say the course work is so unbelievably difficult, and still they get fail exams. Gen eds for the school of business are relatively easy, but in turn, horrible professors. You are absolutely a number at this school, no matter how hard you try to meet with your teachers. In lecture halls of 350, it's hard to ask questions unless you want to speak to a TA, who most likely has a difficult time speaking english. For the introductary general courses, almost all of your grades are calculated by 3 or 4 exams throughout the semester. If you are not a great test taker, this can be awful. As for the surrounding city, there isn't one. Storrs is UConn, and UConn is Storrs. Perhaps you would like to go to Hartford or Boston for the weekend? Or maybe just Walmart to get some food? You can't. You aren't allowed to have a car on campus until you are a junior, and there is no shuttle bus transportation except around the campus, which gets pretty small after a few weeks. Maybe UConn is for some people, but if you are looking for a great education with caring professors, activities that don't involve getting wasted, a fun city, and peers who care about academics, please choose a different institution. Good luck with the college process, and remember, stay true to yourself! If a school doesn't fit your needs now, it most likely won't when you get there either. Bon voyage! : )
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Collaboration/Competitive: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I would leave UConn if it wasn't forQuite BrightSocial Work
I would leave UConn if it wasn't for my major and they way I see my classes and major spanning out. I love it academically, it's challenging, but not overly difficult. If you're an average smart person, you'd be fine. But, if you don't drink or party, find somewhere else to go. I don't drink or party and I pretty much find myself doing nothing. It's hard to meet people who don't want to get wasted every night and just want to hang out. I got lucky and my roommate doesn't drink either, but it can be difficult to not be bored out of your mind when you don't want to go out and party. So overall, UConn is amazing academically, and pretty shitty if you don't party/drink.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: D+
For what you pay for, this school isQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
For what you pay for, this school is good: a good education without the high prices of the elite schools. If you're instate it gets even better because of the state subsidies that go into tuition. That's pretty much where the advantage ends.

Most of the other students here are useless for the most part. If you're not already on antidepressants you will be from being around them. I am. They are stupid, snooty, and have a life that revolves around getting shit faced and other trite agenda. They will someday be pumping your gas, bagging your groceries, or delivering your pizza despite the mickey major they completed here in sociology with a .5 GPA.

You will also notice many things that the university could improve (very obvious things) but won't. You will probably be frustrated as to why the university spends so much on athletics when your academic building is falling apart or has recently been evacuated. You will wonder why there are so many athletic complexes on campus when there's a constant shortage of housing. And you will wonder if anyone in admissions reads the applications when you get a taste for how dumb the people here really are.I think I put a review here last year when I was a sophomore and things really haven't changed. My advice: stay focused, take antidepressants, stay away from people, get well-acquainted with solitude, go home as much as possible, and try not to kill anyone (you will be tempted on multiple occasions). And when you do graduate and the alumni association sends you a letter for a donation, don't send them anything.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2009