StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

Jul 28 2006Computer Science

UConn is what you make of it. If you get involved it is great. If you sit in your room it sucks.

1st Year Male -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F

Overall I enjoy going to UConn

Aug 10 2006Psychology
Overall I enjoy going to UConn. The campus is absolutely beautiful with all the trees, the grass, the "lakes". It IS a big school, and can take 15 minutes to get from one end of campus to the other, walking an average pace. There are of course busses but you have you be at least somewhat familiar with their time schedules and routes to really make any use of them. I personally don't mind the large classes. Freshman lecture halls for instance can have 300 people. Almost every class I was in that had numbers like that, was supplemented by lab, discussion, or seminar classes. I had only one TA that I didn't get along with, otherwise my professors were friendly and willing to answer questions I had. All UConn professors are required to have office hours, where they're paid to sit at the office and answer student questions. It's a good resource.

One of the reasons I came to UConn was because I knew they had the Rainbow Center, which is an academic/cultural center on campus like the Women's Center etc, for GLBTQQAI students, which I personally found amazing. The RC has become my second home.

Be aware that UConn is in the middle of nowhere, as in, cow country. That's the only part of this school I don't like so much. You're not allowed a parking permit on campus for a car unless you have Junior credit status, unless you want to pay about $500 a semester on this special lot that's "off campus" and belongs to some guy.If you like to party, there's plenty of people on campus who share your hobby. Be aware however that if you get wait listed for housing because having alcohol illegally etc, because of the high amount of people who want to go here, you'll probably not get housing the next semester, basically kicking you off campus.

1st Year Male -- Class 2009
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C-

I really do not wish to "trash" my

Jan 01 2006Business - Management and Administration
I really do not wish to "trash" my alma mater. My comments are meant to be taken with the realization that I graduated more than 15 years ago, before the Internet was available to (literally) everyone in the USA.

I was the first in my family to graduate college, so my dependence upon the school system for the advice and support other kids get from their college educated parents is also a great influence on my past expereince and present opinion of that experience.

The university has undergone a tremendous revitalization which was only just beginning when I was about to leave. From my perspective, the final results are quite positive, at least structurally and aesthetically. Beyond that, I really doubt much else has changed.

Admittedly, the sports program was subperb during my years there, and provided most of the socialization/entertainment opportunities for an isolated school in a beautiful, rural setting. I believe that my educational experience was wonderful, despite the fact that individualized attention is lacking at such a big school. Encouragement and information regarding future academic and/or career planning was "severely" lacking. As a minority student, I found that the cultural clubs were my only lifeboat, as well as another mode of social understanding of the "real world". Both of of these are things which are a necessity in a big campus atmosphere with such a diverse student body (culturally, economically, and racially speaking).

The unfortunate coolness of the school's atmosphere was diretly due to its large campus size and rural, northeastern CT location. That same physical largeness of the school left me filled with a sense of loss, and regrets about the lack of individualized attention I believe I would have otherwise received at an Ivy League, or at least at a smaller, private school. Tnere was no one there to point out the advantages of, or even method for, planning for grad school during my undergrad years. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have skipped the scholarship and opted for a small/private school, despite the fact that I'd have to pay back the loans required later. I stumbled across this site as I began planning for my four years old child's future. I definitely plan to use my own experience to guide and encourage him towards a smaller and/or private educational experience. He, at least, will have the benefit of my own knowledge about the college experience to make better decisions on his choices for a college education.

4th Year Female -- Class 1989