StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

I really do not wish to "trash" my

Jan 01 2006Business - Management and Administration
I really do not wish to "trash" my alma mater. My comments are meant to be taken with the realization that I graduated more than 15 years ago, before the Internet was available to (literally) everyone in the USA.

I was the first in my family to graduate college, so my dependence upon the school system for the advice and support other kids get from their college educated parents is also a great influence on my past expereince and present opinion of that experience.

The university has undergone a tremendous revitalization which was only just beginning when I was about to leave. From my perspective, the final results are quite positive, at least structurally and aesthetically. Beyond that, I really doubt much else has changed.

Admittedly, the sports program was subperb during my years there, and provided most of the socialization/entertainment opportunities for an isolated school in a beautiful, rural setting. I believe that my educational experience was wonderful, despite the fact that individualized attention is lacking at such a big school. Encouragement and information regarding future academic and/or career planning was "severely" lacking. As a minority student, I found that the cultural clubs were my only lifeboat, as well as another mode of social understanding of the "real world". Both of of these are things which are a necessity in a big campus atmosphere with such a diverse student body (culturally, economically, and racially speaking).

The unfortunate coolness of the school's atmosphere was diretly due to its large campus size and rural, northeastern CT location. That same physical largeness of the school left me filled with a sense of loss, and regrets about the lack of individualized attention I believe I would have otherwise received at an Ivy League, or at least at a smaller, private school. Tnere was no one there to point out the advantages of, or even method for, planning for grad school during my undergrad years. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have skipped the scholarship and opted for a small/private school, despite the fact that I'd have to pay back the loans required later. I stumbled across this site as I began planning for my four years old child's future. I definitely plan to use my own experience to guide and encourage him towards a smaller and/or private educational experience. He, at least, will have the benefit of my own knowledge about the college experience to make better decisions on his choices for a college education.

4th Year Female -- Class 1989
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: D-

i just finished my first year at Uconn

Aug 12 2005Finance
i just finished my first year at Uconn and liked it alot.. Some people complain about the town, but there is plenty to do on campus and the towns around Uconn are slowly growing. hartford is 15 minutes away if ur into clubs and bars, but for me i like it because ur close to about everything. Boston is an hour and a half, my friends and i go surfing in Rhode island, which is probably under an hour. The sports programs are amazing, and the school's recognition has gotten a lot better. Its pretty stupid to go to a private university that cost about twice as much and has little to no recognition than rather than just going to Uconn.
1st Year Male -- Class 2008
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: C+

UConn is a still a more than affordable

Jun 02 2005Economics
UConn is a still a more than affordable school with a growing reputation for excellence. Unfortunately it has strayed from its previous role as a safety net for top students unable to afford or enter top out-of-state private schools and now become a bit elitist. Those that do get in get a great education at a school with wonderful facilities at a great price.
Starting Job: Budget Analyst Preparedness: A Reputation: A