StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

I came in as a transfer student asQuite BrightOther
I came in as a transfer student as commuter. They do not realize that people work outside of school and had horrible class times, all in the afternoon and night.

If you don't start your freshman year in a dorm don't count on making friends. People do not randomly go up to you and will not help you if you need it (unlike my prior school). The students are caught up in sleeping around and drinking, the surrounding town suprises people who aren't from around there that there isnt much to do. I was aware but I just happened to end up here.

My issue is that if you're not into sleeping around, fake tanning, and drinking, the student population will not be for you.

academically however, I have had good luck with my professors, only disliking one class. The classes have been engaging so I must add a plus to that.But, all the money goes to the business school, school of pharmacy, or the basketball team. Everything else is second rate and one can easily tell they don't care about any majors that "won't make them alumni money"

more→Oct 14 2006
4th Year Female -- Class 2007
Education Quality: A-, Social Life: F
Overall I enjoy going to UConn.BrightPsychology
Overall I enjoy going to UConn. The campus is absolutely beautiful with all the trees, the grass, the "lakes". It IS a big school, and can take 15 minutes to get from one end of campus to the other, walking an average pace. There are of course busses but you have you be at least somewhat familiar with their time schedules and routes to really make any use of them. I personally don't mind the large classes. Freshman lecture halls for instance can have 300 people. Almost every class I was in that had numbers like that, was supplemented by lab, discussion, or seminar classes. I had only one TA that I didn't get along with, otherwise my professors were friendly and willing to answer questions I had. All UConn professors are required to have office hours, where they're paid to sit at the office and answer student questions. It's a good resource.

One of the reasons I came to UConn was because I knew they had the Rainbow Center, which is an academic/cultural center on campus like the Women's Center etc, for GLBTQQAI students, which I personally found amazing. The RC has become my second home.

Be aware that UConn is in the middle of nowhere, as in, cow country. That's the only part of this school I don't like so much. You're not allowed a parking permit on campus for a car unless you have Junior credit status, unless you want to pay about $500 a semester on this special lot that's "off campus" and belongs to some guy.If you like to party, there's plenty of people on campus who share your hobby. Be aware however that if you get wait listed for housing because having alcohol illegally etc, because of the high amount of people who want to go here, you'll probably not get housing the next semester, basically kicking you off campus.

more→Aug 10 2006
1st Year Male -- Class 2009
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C-
Quite BrightComputer Science
UConn is what you make of it. If you get involved it is great. If you sit in your room it sucks.
more→Jul 28 2006