StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

If you are looking to come to a

Nov 13 2013Math
If you are looking to come to a school with a great city life, it is not here. You are in the middle of no where, we may have more cows than students. But there is some stuff to do, game rooms, movies, late night activities, clubs, ect. If you are in a STEM class, you are expected to work hard, good luck finding time to do anything. If you are in say poly sci, party all you want you'll still pull A's. If you are looking to come here, and loose weight or maintain your weight, good luck! Yes, there is a gym and yes you can run around campus but the food here sucks. There is little healthy variety and they always have a endless supply of temptation (ice cream, french fries, hot dogs, hamburgers, are always in supply).
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: D

I am a Junior at the University of

Nov 02 2013Psychology
I am a Junior at the University of Connecticut Storrs campus and I must say it is not what I had hoped for. I often wish I had gone to another college. It is a big party school, and that is really all anyone does. Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays of every single weekend are dedicated to parties. There is literally nothing else to do. Sponsored events are often poorly thought out and have low attendance rates. I find the classes are the only decent part. Most classes are interesting, and teach you a good deal. They seem to have intelligent faculty that really know what they're talking about, even if the do get snooty at times. The rest of the environment is not conductive to learning though. Outside the library it is hard to find a place to study, and even on the quite floors of the library noise can be a big problem. The dorms I've had have all been very small compared to other schools I've visited. The administration seems very set on packing us in like sardines and you feel that they only care about the money. The dorm buildings themselves are a hit or a miss. McMahon is carpeted, new, and cleaned regularly. West looks like an army barracks though and the showers make it so only one person can use them at a time. To be honest I wish I didn't go here. If you're smart enough to get into Uconn don't, it'll be the worst mistake of your life.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Individual Value: F

Me: I was a resource economics major in

Jan 20 2014Public Policy
Me: I was a resource economics major in the agriculture school (not an option), not in the liberal arts school, so I put my department as public policy. That is my minor and I took just as many classes there, but I highly recommend the ag school as well.

Resource Economics: Fabulous major, interesting and diverse coursework, high placement rate post-graduation. As a prior economics major in the liberal arts school, I highly encourage prospective econ majors to look into the ag school as well. The gen eds are less strict/demanding and the coursework is much more interesting unless you're going for straight financial management and no policy or hands-on business or theory (there are 3 concentration tracks)

Public policy: One of the most applicable minors, very oriented toward professional development, also interesting coursework, faculty are some of the best (especially for public finance)

Reputation: The school is only getting better and more competitive, so get here while you can rely on getting in! Top 20 public school, and many top programs in the nation

Students: Fun, exciting, diverse. Party scene if you want it, alternatives if you don't. Definitely a lot of athletes.

Campus & surrounding town: Beautiful rural area that becomes a mini-city when you're in the center of campus. Everything is beautiful except for the construction areas. There will always be construction, but that doesn't take away from the positive atmosphere of the campus. As for Mansfield/Storrs, there is also a new development called "Storrs Center" that has become a new downtown area. There's tons of restaurants and little shops coming in and everything is brand new and modern. It'll only get bigger with more to do as it develops over the next 3 years or so, and there's already plenty moved in. A new Price Chopper is the most exciting for off campus students! If you don't like the little city area on and close to campus, a bus ride or short drive can get you back in the woods- I recommend Mansfield Hollow Dam or the UConn forest for outings.

Parking: Not wonderful, probably my only complaint; but hey, we have a lot of students!
Food: I work in a dining hall, one of the smaller ones. It's better than most colleges, and there are plenty of healthy options as well as lots of dessert! The biggest ones, South and Northwest, will have the largest in terms of quantity. McMahon and Towers have a lot of specialty dishes. Buckley is a smaller atmosphere but the cooking is some of the best for that reason, in my opinion (I work here). Whitney is all about local foods- go there if you're into that because the salads and fruits are the best. Dairy Bar has the best ice cream for miles. The union has plenty of fast food options as well, healthy and not-so-much.

Class size: You're going to get lecture hall courses for a year, maybe a few as a sophomore, for gen eds- especially if you're in liberal arts/sciences. However, writing sections always cap at 19 for personal attention and all of my major/minor courses have capped around 29-35 over the past year. There's plenty of room for individual attention.

Final impression: As a transfer student, I clearly chose to go here because I found it to be better than the rest after attending another. Highly recommended.Feel free to contact me with ANY questions. I know a lot about UConn, I grew up in the area- and I came back for the school, not out of homesickness I can assure you! I can tell you some downsides, but I honestly can say that most things are on the positive end.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014