StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

I couldn't ever imagine going to a different

Jan 30 2013Economics
I couldn't ever imagine going to a different school. The quickly growing academics and quality sports programs and night life make for a perfect college experience. I love UConn! People that come on here saying it is hard to make friends or they are bored must dwell deep inside the dorms because there are tons of parties and school-sponsored activities to attend no matter what your interests are! If you get in, 100% come!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Innovation: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+

The problem I have with UCONN is that

Apr 03 2013Other
The problem I have with UCONN is that as an out-of-state student, there are not many people that care to learn about you and get to know you. Most kids here are from CT and know another 800 kids that go here so they don't need new friends. I just feel really alone here. I honestly wanted to go away from home and attend a huge university.. but I'm definitely transferring because this school is unbearable. The professors suck and grade so harshly and now my gpa is crap.The FUCKING WIND is the most annoying thing in the world. I was told I would get used to it... yeahh not happening. The only plus is the food options here I guess. But I literally cannot wait for this semester to be over with. Transferrrrrrring!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Surrounding City: F

I'm a second semester Freshman but I'm strongly

Jan 15 2013Education
I'm a second semester Freshman but I'm strongly thinking about transferring. Last year when I first stepped on campus and thought "this is my school, I was born to go here"... yea right until I actually enrolled and went.

The people: UCONN is 80% in state, so most people are going to college with their whole high school and friend group and they aren't really interested in making new friends. After the first night of college, the cliques formed and after that nothing changed. So you're basically stuck with the same people you met the first night of college. In my dorm, the people are friendly, but only to the level of "hey, hi" relationship. Also, if you're not in a sorority then it's basically impossible to meet new people.

The campus: the campus is actually pretty nice. Most of the buildings are updated and everything is laid out pretty well.

The dorms: Freshman dorms suck. End of story. The bathrooms are so gross and there's always puke on the toilet seat. The showers, don't even get me started. I feel like i have to stand in one spot without moving b/c i don't want to touch the grimy walls and there aren't even walls in between the showers, just a curtain. And each shower flows into the last one with a drain, so you're pretty much screwed when the person to the left of you is puking in the shower from being hung over the next morning...

The food: the food is not too bad, although i'm a plain eater and eat the same thing every night, there are options for everyone which is nice. There are also a bunch of different dinning halls. McMahon is the nicest, it's like gourmet restaurant style food served on fancy square plates.

The staff: there is a mix b/w good and bad. I only liked one of my teachers, i could tell she was a dedicated teacher, and all my other ones didn't give a shit and were impossible to get in touch with to meet for office hours.

My advisor was no help at all either!
The education program: it's super competitive, they only take 40 students for elementary education so if you don't get in you're completely screwed! The advisor for education is also no help at all and never even emailed me back after I emailed twice and someone else but that other person responded only to say she forwarded the email to that same advisor who never answered... thanks.

The weather: cold and windyyyyyy!!!!!! It makes you not want to leave the dorm, its so windy all the time its a wind tunnel. It's also super cold so your face feels like it's being hit by bricks when it's windy (which is all the time).

Social scene: Frat parties are so overrated, the first one is fun because you don't know what to expect, but expect this: a huge crowd of people crammed in the basement of a house, beer on the floor everywhere, you can't talk or hear anything bc the music is so loud. You literally can't even move because there are so many people, you really can't even dance! They always run out of drinks and every party i've been to has gotten broken up by the cops--the cops have been super annoying and they are everywhere. There is a thing on friday nights called late night in the student union which is alright, there's karyoke where you can watch people suck at singing and eat food.Sports: UCONN is pretty big in sports. Football this year sucked, and the games were rather boring, although we rock in basketball. I haven't been to a game yet.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016