StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

I'm a second semester Freshman but I'm strongly

Jan 15 2013Education
I'm a second semester Freshman but I'm strongly thinking about transferring. Last year when I first stepped on campus and thought "this is my school, I was born to go here"... yea right until I actually enrolled and went.

The people: UCONN is 80% in state, so most people are going to college with their whole high school and friend group and they aren't really interested in making new friends. After the first night of college, the cliques formed and after that nothing changed. So you're basically stuck with the same people you met the first night of college. In my dorm, the people are friendly, but only to the level of "hey, hi" relationship. Also, if you're not in a sorority then it's basically impossible to meet new people.

The campus: the campus is actually pretty nice. Most of the buildings are updated and everything is laid out pretty well.

The dorms: Freshman dorms suck. End of story. The bathrooms are so gross and there's always puke on the toilet seat. The showers, don't even get me started. I feel like i have to stand in one spot without moving b/c i don't want to touch the grimy walls and there aren't even walls in between the showers, just a curtain. And each shower flows into the last one with a drain, so you're pretty much screwed when the person to the left of you is puking in the shower from being hung over the next morning...

The food: the food is not too bad, although i'm a plain eater and eat the same thing every night, there are options for everyone which is nice. There are also a bunch of different dinning halls. McMahon is the nicest, it's like gourmet restaurant style food served on fancy square plates.

The staff: there is a mix b/w good and bad. I only liked one of my teachers, i could tell she was a dedicated teacher, and all my other ones didn't give a shit and were impossible to get in touch with to meet for office hours.

My advisor was no help at all either!
The education program: it's super competitive, they only take 40 students for elementary education so if you don't get in you're completely screwed! The advisor for education is also no help at all and never even emailed me back after I emailed twice and someone else but that other person responded only to say she forwarded the email to that same advisor who never answered... thanks.

The weather: cold and windyyyyyy!!!!!! It makes you not want to leave the dorm, its so windy all the time its a wind tunnel. It's also super cold so your face feels like it's being hit by bricks when it's windy (which is all the time).

Social scene: Frat parties are so overrated, the first one is fun because you don't know what to expect, but expect this: a huge crowd of people crammed in the basement of a house, beer on the floor everywhere, you can't talk or hear anything bc the music is so loud. You literally can't even move because there are so many people, you really can't even dance! They always run out of drinks and every party i've been to has gotten broken up by the cops--the cops have been super annoying and they are everywhere. There is a thing on friday nights called late night in the student union which is alright, there's karyoke where you can watch people suck at singing and eat food.Sports: UCONN is pretty big in sports. Football this year sucked, and the games were rather boring, although we rock in basketball. I haven't been to a game yet.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Friendliness: F

There is so many

Dec 26 2012PreMed and Medical
There is so many extra-curricular activities to do and to meet more and more people. UConn Huskies are some of the finest people that you'll ever meet. Just walking through campus will give you sense of belonging. I am proud that I get to experience 4 years of my life here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D

I graduated from UConn almost 6 years ago,

Oct 10 2012English
I graduated from UConn almost 6 years ago, and I still don't have a bad thing to say about them. Of course there were annoyances and struggles within the campus, with professors, with roommate situations, but it wouldn't be college if those weren't expected.

What I received from UConn was an amazing college experience filled with years of memories always to be remembered. Social life aside, the academics all have great programs. Most advisers are there to help at all moments, and there is something for everyone.

Most of my close friends went out of state for college, but I don't regret my decision at all. I went to a great school, and in most cases my degree holds more prestige than those who achieved theirs elsewhere. Going to UConn was the best decision I made, and I will always recommend it. And another great pro; the campus has tons of activities to get involved in. Plus their sports teams aren't terrible, so going to off campus games were always a blast.

Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: B+ Reputation: F