StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

I love Uconn, but it might not loveQuite BrightJournalism
I love Uconn, but it might not love you back. I entered as a business student with 24 credits (FROM HIGH SCHOOL, NOT TRANSFER CREDITS) already completed. Because of this, I was held to the GPA requirement of a junior to stay in the School of Business rather than be treated as a freshman. I did meet the freshman mark, but not the junior mark (I needed a 2.9, but I got a 2.7, which is the freshman minimum requirement). After one year, I was dismissed, even though the credits that counted towards my GPA were the amount a freshman gets. So I had 30 credits to get to where everyone else has 53. The worst part is that getting back in is impossible, even though i just got a 3.94 this semester. They will not make exceptions. They just don't care.

I don't want to scare anyone away, because it is a great place to be. Everyone I met was really nice and most people are open to be friends with anyone. I have so many different friends that I have little in common with but get along with great.

The faculty here can be frustrating. They are very approachable, but can be condescending if you are struggling, and have little time for understanding your issues. Just don't have issues. If you do your work (like I didn't do my 1st year, and did do my 2nd), you'll get the results you want.

Anybody who is not into the party life, that's totally fine. But don't shy away from a school because it as a party reputation. If you don't want to be anywhere near drinking, college isn't for you. That's a reality. Every school has a drinking culture to some extent. However, you will find that all of the bigger schools have a large base of students who have sober fun on weekends. The Student Union is packed every night, and the rec center (gym & pool) stays open til midnight every night. There is always something to do. The library is huge and has floors for quiet, or floors for studying with light chatter.

Athletic events are amazing. You really see the community come together and get behind the Huskies. But it's not like the only thing going on. I've heard friends say all anybody cares about at their school is the sports during the seasons. I love sports as much as anybody else, and I'm a die hard fan here, but it is never the main focus of the campus. You won't be distracted.

There is not much of a town around Storrs, but there are places all over campus to get anything you would ever need, a few local sit-down restaurants that are great, and a supermarket/walmart within reasonable distance. You will never feel stranded. Everything you would ever need is there.Uconn is a very good place to be and it's becoming more highly regarded as an elite university.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
University Resource Use: A+, Individual Value: F
UConn is a great school.BrightOther
UConn is a great school. Over the course of my three years here, I have become involved in a number of clubs, groups, and internships on Campus. As an environmental science major, I am directly involved in "greening" the University-- something I take great pride in.

The schooling, especially any science regime, is intense. Bring your game face if you decide on the University of Connecticut. Much of the work is put on individual shoulders, there is no one here to help you out-- unless you ask. UConn is a big research school, and as such makes limited effort to keep students on-track. There are a number of resources and opportunities to get-help on campus, but you have to be pro-active. In fact, to get anything at all out of your education here-- being pro-active is a must.

Athletics, intermurals, clubs, and organizations are big here. Get involved and time will fly by-- don't and you'll spend your time watching tv and napping through college.

The students here are very diverse in attitude (not in terms of race):

Head to east campus if you are environmentally inclined. To north campus if you like to lie out and party. To South if you want to study and be serious in your school work (south is home to the honors kids). To the University owned apartments if you prefer an independent lifestyle. To the bars if you want a cheap and dirty drunk, and to the off-campus parties for relief.

As for social life: There is little to do off campus, the area surrounding Storrs is anything but urban. Don't expect a corner complete with a bakery, coffee shop, cheese store, fruit stand, etc. --- there isn't any. The closest (decent) mall is a 30 minute drive away, and the closest (decent) grocery store is 15. However, the social scene is a blast. Everyone parties -- hard; find your niche with some good friends and you'll have a good time. Plus, the University always has a bazillion things to do on-campus. If you stay active, there will never be enough time to do what you want to do.

There is little in terms of off-campus housing. In fact, roughly 70% of students live on-campus. However, I recommend living off-campus if you can, definitely worth the inconvenience. It's especially hard for undergraduate males to rent anything close to the University other than an apartment. Landowners don't want ragers in (nice) houses.

As for the weather: it gets cold, and it's always windy. Welcome to Storrs.
All in all, it's a fun school. If you dig the campus and like the Northeast, then go ahead and say yes to UConn. Go Huskies!

3rd Year Male -- Class 2010
Useful Schoolwork: A, University Resource Use: C+
I transferred to UConn from BC two yearsQuite BrightComputer Science
I transferred to UConn from BC two years ago, largely because I wanted to be part of a campus environment. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover how strong the computer science program is at UConn and also how cyber-sophisticated the whole university is. Not only have they put a ton of money into the campus computer infrastructure, but they actual know how to use it. The joy and freedom of having access to everything available at your fingertips is really powerful. My friends from other colleges, who are also computer science majors, that have visited me from time to time, are amazed how organized our online data is and how well integrated all the departments and administrative databases are. Also, my non-computer savvy friends like the convenience of having their laptops serviced at the tech center when they have a problem.

Like I said, the computer science program here is top notch. It’s a perfect combinations of theoretical, application, future science and industry career focused. The teachers are also great. They are not just academic junkies operating outside of the real world. They have good combination of theory and application, and they can teach. The program here blows away everything I experienced at BC.

The academics here are at UConn are challenging so I can’t imagine where people find the time to party and get drunk all the time. I’d say it’s more like we work are *ss off and party with the same intensity when we can. There is so much activity happening on campus it may be hard for some to stay disciplined enough to not let the social scene take over their academic load.

I love the spirit and atmosphere of the fall sports, football and soccer always draw big crowds and usually make it deep into their NCAA tournaments. The womens soccer team also draws hugh crowds but I haven’t followed their games. With the winter comes basketball and both the women and mens teams are fantastic events. There is nothing like it. It’s insane. My girlfriend likes the UConn rep theater so we go to their shows during the year. They have a strong drama/theater department at UConn and they put on some really good shows. They have like 3 theaters, Katter, Studio and Jorgenson, that all have different types of shows. After a show we sometimes walk downtown to the Tequila Cove, or over to the new town village they are building. There is no way you can do everything at UConn, you’d never have time to study or sleep, but most likely you wouldn’t anyway. There is something for everyone’s taste and interest, it all depends what you are into. Like every campus, you will find those that are socially immature and do nothing but stay in their room and drink and complain about how bad the school is. Every school has their fair share of these dregs. Next year will be my last year and while I’m looking forward to graduating and moving on, I will miss this school and the times I’ve had.

Be aware that if you apply to UConn your grades and test scores may not be good enough to get in. It’s getting harder to get accepted because the school is getting more top applications each year so it’s becoming much more selective. Unless you are an elite athlete and get through admissions that way, you will find it a more difficult to get accepted.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: F
Compare UConnSave UConn

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→