StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

If you are going to UCONN, just recognizeAverageAnimal Studies
If you are going to UCONN, just recognize that it is a big school and its way easy to get lost in the crowd. If you dont fight for yourself, you will not do well.

Look at the resources on campus. there is a mental health center and you should totally take advantage of that. There are people there to help you study in the Library. Just be aware of the help that is offered because I wasn't and it kind of messed me up.

Find friends that are willing to help support you academically as its one of those schools where the professors aren't there to baby you. Help each other out and you'll be better for it. Don't allow people to bring you down, cause you will fall HARD.

I know a lot of people say "its what you make of it" but in relation to UCONN that sounds about right. There is lots going on at any given moment but don't forget about the school work.

In terms of the Animal Science program, it's difficult for a reason, but it can also be way of fun. I mean, who else gets to train livestock? If you aren't goal oriented in this program though, its gonna plow you over. Polish your math and science skills because you are going to need it. And please go to class and actually take notes!! You really miss things when browsing on Facebook. These teachers are somewhat flexible but still they expect you to get your stuff together and keep up.

Somehow of few of these kids have managed to be party people
and still keep good grades, but honestly it isn't beneficial. They tend to crash and burn real fast.
Just use common sense y'all and good luck!Good luck either way!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: D-
I graduated in 1993 and I'm filling thisBrightCommunications
I graduated in 1993 and I'm filling this out in 2015, so my experience is dated. I still feel that the people I met in college have had a huge influence on the way that I think. I don't work in a field directly related to my major, but I still benefit from many of the classes I took and the interactions I had with others. I certainly recommend college in general and UConn is a great place to attend.
Starting Job: Network Engineer; Preparedness: C Reputation: B-
I transferred to UConn my junior year ofBrightNatural Resources
I transferred to UConn my junior year of college after attending Villanova University my freshman year and UConn Stamford for my sophomore year. I regret not coming straight to UConn storrs for my freshman year because I fell in love with it! The reason I didn't come to UConn right out of high school was because of reviews I read on websites like this that told me there was no night life/social scene, and because I grew up in Connecticut and had the whole mentality of wanting to "get out of here."

I'm an NRE major at UConn and can honestly say that if you are a student that's going to go into anything environmental/agriculture/natural resource related, UConn is an INCREDIBLE school. The programs are amazing, and the school is pretty small, so once you get into your junior/senior level courses, the class sizes become smaller and you end up getting really close to people in your major. One of my classes only has eight people in it this semester, and several of my professors know me by name.

Not to mention I have made absolutely incredible friends. I'm not a HUGE partier, but even so, if I want to go out, there is always something to do whether it's a frat party or a party off campus or some underground music shows, or going out to dinner or going to the mall. Though a lot of the things I just mentioned require a car or some type of transportation, so it's understandable that underclassmen complain about not having a lot to do on campus. But SUBOG tries really hard to make sure there are fun things going on on campus during the weekends, and there's always Late Night at the Union or hanging out with friends. There are so so so so many really cool clubs at UConn, too, and so far every single one I've joined has been so inclusive and great. Last year I decided to join the boxing club having NEVER boxed before in my life, and everyone was so kind and welcoming and supportive. I'm a very shy person and often times have a hard time meeting new people, and so I was very nervous when I first transferred to UConn. But it's such a huge campus with so many amazing opportunities that after a little effort, it's almost impossible not to find something you love and people you love. The campus is absolutely GORGEOUS if you're into hiking/more rural areas, which I am (I'm not a city girl AT ALL), though right now they are doing a bit of construction which is annoying. The only reason I feel so compelled to write this review is in hopes that somebody will read this one and realize that UConn is awesome! I regret so much the two years I wasted not being at UConn Storrs, and always look back and wish I had just come here from the very beginning of my undergraduate career. It's a gorgeous campus with a fairly diverse student body and incredible people, intelligent professors, and a lot of research opportunities. :)

4th Year Female -- Class 2016