StudentsReview :: The University of Connecticut - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Connecticut

The school is good for a good price

Mar 12 2014Finance
The school is good for a good price for in state students, and somehow has a decent reputation in the business world. However, classes were a joke. As a finance major I am not supposed to say that. I didn't learn anything much, and I wasn't forced to either. There was always a way to do well because professors weren't engaging or challenging. Most everything UConn does, doesn't really make sense and they don't tend to take student opinion into account. A LOT of buildings need updating, more money apparently needs to be spent on hiring teachers, yet we drop millions for a "more aggressive" looking husky logo......
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
University Resource Use: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F

I am a Junior at the University of

Nov 02 2013Psychology
I am a Junior at the University of Connecticut Storrs campus and I must say it is not what I had hoped for. I often wish I had gone to another college. It is a big party school, and that is really all anyone does. Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays of every single weekend are dedicated to parties. There is literally nothing else to do. Sponsored events are often poorly thought out and have low attendance rates. I find the classes are the only decent part. Most classes are interesting, and teach you a good deal. They seem to have intelligent faculty that really know what they're talking about, even if the do get snooty at times. The rest of the environment is not conductive to learning though. Outside the library it is hard to find a place to study, and even on the quite floors of the library noise can be a big problem. The dorms I've had have all been very small compared to other schools I've visited. The administration seems very set on packing us in like sardines and you feel that they only care about the money. The dorm buildings themselves are a hit or a miss. McMahon is carpeted, new, and cleaned regularly. West looks like an army barracks though and the showers make it so only one person can use them at a time. To be honest I wish I didn't go here. If you're smart enough to get into Uconn don't, it'll be the worst mistake of your life.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Individual Value: F

What I am about to write is about

Feb 22 2014Undecided
What I am about to write is about my own experience at UConn. Of course, everyone's experience is different and I just wanted to provide my own personal insight.

UConn was the last school I wanted to attend, in all honesty. I was looking at private, city-schools with a strong focus in political science and international relations. When making my decision, I just could not ignore the affordability of UConn (I received a tuition waiver). Trying to be pragmatic, I made a financial decision to go to UConn.

Social Life:
I tried to go into my freshman year with a completely open mindset, I tried to meet everyone I could, and just made a genuine effort to get involved. But, many things at UConn I felt failed me. My RA barely knew my name and made no effort to get to know anyone on the floor. We did not even have any kind of floor meeting and people weren't even wanting to get to know each other. Greek life rushing happened the first weekend we arrived, and I decided not to rush. Because of this happening so early, Greeks and non-Greeks never really had a chance to get to know each other. Also, being that it is a public school a lot of people came knowing other people from high school, having already come with a group of friends. If anything, I wanted to meet other people than my high school classmates. I am sure that there are many people who have excelled socially here, but I do believe that it is definitely not easy, especially if you do not plan on rushing or do not have old friends.

Academics:
I am in ACES and planning on pursuing a major in PS. I find that at UConn there isn't much of a focus on liberal arts, but I do believe you can still get an excellent education by coming here. I have not been challenged very much, but if you do the work you will be more than fine. I have been overwhelmed by the sheer size of my classes and often felt like just a number. I was not given much attention by my adviser, and while I understand that it is difficult given the size of the school, I feel as though the school should focus more on enriching each student's education. You really have to self-advocate and try to get opportunities yourself. Oftentimes, I felt as though I was just going to classes and not really getting as much out of my education as I could have at other schools.

Athletics:
Obviously the sports are great! I personally did not make my decision for athletics so it was not a make it or break it for me. However, it is a little disheartening to see how sometimes I feel the focus change from academics to athletics.

Surrounding Area:
I knew going to Storrs would not be anything close to a city. The University itself is its own "city," as there is literally nothing except a few stores that are in the process of being developed. It is completely in the middle of nowhere. For some students, that is not a problem at all. For me, personally, it has left me feeling pretty isolated without the ability to walk on or off campus on my own.

If you know exactly what you are getting into when choosing UConn, then for some it can be the perfect choice! For me, it just wasn't and I am looking into possibly transferring next year. My advice to incoming freshman is to join greek life and try to get as involved as you can, because I believe that is the key to success at UConn.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Faculty Accessibility: B+, Surrounding City: F