StudentsReview :: The University of New Haven - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of New Haven

If you are a Connecticut resident and can get into at leastNot so brightEnglish
If you are a Connecticut resident and can get into at least Quinnipiac or Uconn please do yourself a favor and attend either one. UNH is primarily for students who were not accepted into either of those schools and come from low income families. There are some students from the east coast that got reeled into UNH through sports scholarships, but from what I've observed it simply isn't worth it. The social stigma attached to UNH that circulates around New Haven, given UNH is in West Haven, is quite bad. Furthermore, the students that attend UNH are hostile. Other than coming from low-income families and working blue collar jobs why else would UNH students be so melancholy and agitated? The students are possibly so pretentious and depressed because the university lacks modern infrastructure, has an asymmetric cohort of qualified professors and is located right in the ghetto. The only saving grace that this university has is a rare and small group of professors who attended Ivy League colleges. Sadly, the smartest of these professors is rated very poorly on ratemyprofessors.com because everyone is so hopelessly unmotivated and challenged. If you somehow end up at this university, I urge you to find those professors and transfer out.
1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F
The bursars office is a joke! That womanBrightOther
The bursars office is a joke! That woman are rude and give out false information. They will find any reason for you not to come in and see a person face to face. They send you office saying wait for the bill in the mail or go on line. Meanwhile I'm waiting, waiting and waiting for this bill to arrive and finally for the this time I go in to ask where it is. Come to find out there never was a bill coming in and I was charged a late fee. I over heard a woman next to me say she was writing a check out to pay her summer class. Not once, did they inform me I could have paid the amount I owed with them. They need new woman/men working in this department. I even asked to speak with the head person in there because I was like talking a wall with no brain and wanted someone who knows what their doing help me. Even the head woman in there was awful and spoke to me like I was the one with no brain. Excuse you?! Your the one giving false information and not doing your job right. It's plain to see that this department needs a new face. Everyone I have spoken to has said the same thing and all complain. This is actually one of the most important departments and they suck. This is the first complaint I have ever written in my life. I just feel like something should be done because I was stunned on what I experienced. Bunch of uneducated idiots working there!
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: D+
The Admissions office does an amazing job gettingSuper BrilliantCriminal
The Admissions office does an amazing job getting students in the door when they are Seniors in high school. Once you commit to the school, the administration treats students like numbers and does NOTHING to help students to succeed. Administration all across the board is terrible at responding to student emails or concerns. One of my advisors picked up and moved to Europe with no warning or notice. My other advisors including correspondences with offices such as Student Activities, Bursars, Registrars, and Financial Aid have failed to respond to daily emails in regards to urgent matters. Money is not appropriately allotted by the University and is wasted on unimportant things when it should be more conservatively budgeted for things that directly benefit the students. UNH Professors are lazy and many are tenured and do not effectively motivate or help the students succeed. Faculty teach to the lowest student in the class and do not challenge students to think critically. Many professors are lenient with grading and do not give students the grades they deserve making it difficult to distinguish the hard working students receiving a 4.0 from the students who took easy courses and maintain a 4.0. If you are not pursuing a degree in Forensic Science, I highly suggest considering a different university.
4th Year Female -- Class 2016