StudentsReview :: Western Connecticut State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Western Connecticut State University

Ok, so there are definitely some positive andQuite Bright
Ok, so there are definitely some positive and negatives of this school, but more are on the negative side of things.

The Food: The food on this campus is pretty good, especially on the westside campus. It is not typical buffet style, you have meal plans. The restaurant on the midtown campus is pretty satisfactory, though. The food overall I would give a B-, the options are there, but depending on the day, the quality can either be good or bad.

The Social Life: The social life at this school is pretty good too. However, I recommend that you should make friends within the first 2 or 3 weeks of school because groups form very fast and if you do not do this, then it will be hard to find people to hangout with because the school is so small. If you do not make friends quickly then you will be considered an "outsider".

The (Social) Environment: Well, what can I say, this place truly is a glorified community college, 72% of the population are commuters, while of the 28% that live on campus, I would say about 20% of them go home almost every weekend. Like other commenters explained, there is a club scene or "Chest Nut" (off campus housing that has cops blowing up the party within 30 minutes) on Thursdays, and then the school shuts down for the weekend. And I mean REALLY shuts down. It is literally a ghost town from Friday until Sunday night when everyone who went home comes back.Most people you meet commute from the nearby towns so it is hard to see them outside of school. The fact that there are 2 campuses on opposite sides of the town that are 15 minutes apart is annoying at times, too. Unless you have a job on campus or play a sport, you will have a TON of free time on your hands.

Extracurriculars: I think my high school had more stuff to do then this school. There are very little clubs that attract attention. I recently joined a bible study group that welcomed me with open arms, which is fun and i enjoyed that. As for sports, no one cares about it, everyone commutes and the sports are not good here anyways. No one goes to the football games aside from homecoming, or any other sport for that matter. It's hard to start anything up when 90% of the school is not there on the weekends.

Housing (For Freshman): Depending on which hall you get will determine your experience. Litchfield hall is currently being renovated because of how rundown it is. Newbury and Fairfield halls are both a little rundown, one does not have A/C but they are not too much to complain about. Centennial on westside is almost like a hotel, except for the fact that you have 5 other roommates. Overall it is not too bad but be warned that on weekends it is a ghost town.

The Staff: Overall, I think the staff is underachieving, I have one teacher that REALLY loves her job, which makes the class a little more enjoyable, but the other 4 kind of have the "hey you're paying for this, I'll teach, then we'll move on" kind of attitude. My high school curriculum may be more challenging than the one here. It is easy, but I expected more from a "college"

The Classrooms: The school itself is a bit rundown, most of my classes are in white hall which is without air conditioning. Definitely not the nicest of all schools that I visited before making my decision.Overall I do not think you should attend this school unless you are a music/theatre major that does not like to party. It really is a community college that costs more than the average. I would recommend looking elsewhere for college, I am transferring after this semester and I could not be happier! Good Luck!

1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Extracurricular Activities: F
I am going into my second year atQuite BrightNursing
I am going into my second year at WCSU as a nursing major and deciding that this is the college I want to spend the next 3 years has been the best choice I have made. The nursing program is superb. The teachers and fellow classmates are great because they are all friendly and everyone is understanding that nursing is difficult, so there is a sense of community knowing that we are getting through it together. Because nursing is a very selective major, the people who are part of it are very serious about succeeding. Students who don't care as much won't be able to keep up with the rigorous program.

Financially, WCSU is the best option. Nursing material is the same in every college, so why spend the extra 40k a year?

The only downside to the school in my opinion is that there are a lot of people who aren't that ambitious. My freshman year when I took a lot of the basic requirement classes, I would notice that a lot of people would skip classes often. I want to be surrounded by people who are excited to learn.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Scholastic Success: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C
Looking through the comments by others I noticedBrightMusic - Performance
Looking through the comments by others I noticed the lack of music students rating, so I figured I would lay down the day to day life of a commuter music student. To start, this was my second year as a college student previously attending college in Manhattan. My freshman year there was pretty awesome and the kids were extremely friendly and fun to be with. I moved to WCSU switching my major to music and media production with hopes of filling the gaps in my education process. I was not familiar with either campus living near the new Milford area. Westside is the main campus for art students and so forth music. The visual arts building is flashy and has great resources such as practice rooms and Well sound proof rooms. The only problem is the people inside this building make you question Why this ammount of money was spent on such undeserving people. When transferring to a new school you're, or at least my goal was to stay quiet and get involved and meet cool music kids to jam with and live the kind of student life those at Berkeley in Boston would find plausible. Jazz is a huge influence on this school, as Well as classical. If you are somwewhat into or are not remotely interested in the style do not attend this school. I favor rock and metal as Well as some classic music being a violin minor and bass guitar major. The teachers tend to frown and insult other music genre's other than the school standards, which at times makes you feel like you and your professors don't connect, which leads to boring classes, and a semester to trudge through. The student themselves I felt were very close minded. Many of them had already formed social groups way before the semester came to a running start which made it difficult to even try to meet people. Rather than practice or help one another it seemed as though students would just pass by each other in the halls exchanging glances like you would seeing a stranger for the first time, and you get used to it fast. Each student seems to be Well versed in their instrument, which at times makes you feel overwhelmed when you are not actively practicing. I think this is because the aura in the department is so competitive. The music staff does not seem to care about the students personally, and most give off a vibe that would give you the impression they want to just leave the classroom and have a mental breakdown. This department does a really good job at making you feel like your the only student falling behind or not having the college experience, and at times I actually had professors ask me why I was anti social. Keep in mind that I am a commuter and do not know how the campus life of westside is. When you submit assignments, there is no mercy when you hand them in even a few hours late. I had some professors that would not even except assignments from me late when I was abcent or requested half credit for being a day late. If you work a full time job as Well as attending wscu, don't expect to have a social life at the school. Many of the students in the music department commute and Also have jobs, which means when they are not working or having class students are practicing alone rather than hanging out. The practice rooms are wonderful, but lack the ability to do much. There seems to be plenty of rooms but when students with electrical instruments need to practice they become limited to only about 3 rooms of the 24 with amps, and most of the time these are being used by kids not even using the equipment. the surrounding town life is not worth exploring if you commute, but if you are out of state you will find the limited campus city area to be lacking entsrtainment aside from a city mall and movie theater. There are some Plus sides to the westside campus if you are coming for a music degree. There is a guitar center within minutes of the school with wonderful staff that offers student discounted lessons for finals and midterm weeks where they will help you get extra help on a piece or something. The security is Also pretty decent. Danbury cops are never out of sight it seems, and wcsu has bought some police cars to up the security of it's own community. The school confused me on transferring transcripts as they did not take 10 of my past credits just because they were not part of their class content, and could not give me 10 in electives. This made me extremely upset given that ten credits is nearly a semester of it's own. Overall, wscu is not a school I would recommend to anyone. There is no social lfe, and if there is, it is not in sight of commuters. If you want entertainment follow what most of the reviews suggested and get involved, because campus life is your entertainment. If you are a student who struggles with music fundamentals, do not even bother filling out the application Unless you plan to teach yourself, because no professors at this school will want to help you willingly.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018