StudentsReview :: Yale University - Comments and Student Experiences

Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ

Yale University

Yale is a fantastic experience, as long asSuper BrilliantHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
Yale is a fantastic experience, as long as you make it one. There's an incredible support system of professors, advisers, tutors and fellow students available if you're willing to reach out and take advantage of it. I'm a senior now and have had a great 3.5 years. I adore the history department, and have had several close relationships with professors. Yale's a big enough school that professors generally won't come find you -- but if you're willing to reach out to them, more are more than happy to talk to and help you. I'm also very involved in some extracurricular activities, which I found incredibly rewarding. The other students are, by and large, awesome people. Sure, there are some snooty rich kids, but it's easy enough to avoid them...90% of Yale students aren't like that at all. So seek out good people, major in what you love and reach out to professors, and you'll love it here. Plus, New Haven is actually pretty great if you make the effort to go out and explore it.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B
Everyday I wake up amazed at the qualityQuite BrightBiology
Everyday I wake up amazed at the quality of of the institution that I attend. Yale has provided me with so many opportunities and it never treats you as a number. I also think that the school is the perfect size as you will continue to meet new people, but you will always see familiar faces. The residential college system is phenomenal and is an excellent way to form a smaller community within a bigger one. The spirit that people have for their residential colleges is astounding (Go Davenport College!!!). My classmates are also amazing, and I can't believe how well versed and normal the majority of the people here are. Sometimes I feel like a spoiled brat here, and the feeling of living in a castle (Yale's campus and Residential College setup is similar to Hogwarts). The workload can be very challenging sometimes and you may want to give up, but this is the price of attending a top university. However, for the amount of work that we have, Yalies do know how to have fun, even if it doesn't involve wild drinking and partying (Which does exist here). There is also a lot of support both academically and emotionally. The resources available for you to take advantage of is mind-boggling. If you want an all around great experience (academics, social life, friendships, quality of life) be sure to come to Yale, you won't regret it.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A-
The best word to describe Yale is "intense".Architecture
The best word to describe Yale is "intense". The place stretched me in many ways. What impressed me most was the general caliber/talent of the student body, the unsurpassed vibrancy of the campus life, and the unique architectural beauty of the place.

However, Yale was not all peaches and cream. The campus is hyperliberal, often at the expense of alternate viewpoints. I would routinely see conservative speakers mocked, conservative publications thrown en masse into the trash, and even ROTC cadets spit-upon and labeled "Nazis". In class, I was instructed on how to vote "correctly" in upcoming elections. Many of the students seemed to live in spoiled bubbles removed from reality. This was my biggest disappointment about Yale.

Do not go there if you want any kind of practical education. Classes are hypertheoretical and any kind of pre-professionalism or nuts-and-bolts training is shunned. Sadly, the engineering majors were looked down upon and criticized by many students. There was only one "accounting" class offered. However, it is OK to be "pre-law" or "pre-med". Do not expect Career Services to be helpful if you are looking for work outside of New York or Wall Street.

Do not go here if a lot of cold, dreary, rainy days bother you. New Haven was not as bad as I had expected and there are many opportunities to grow by volunteering in the community (very big on campus through Dwight Hall). However, it is a depressed city and care needs to be exercised (there was a student murdered on campus while I was there).You can get just as good an education at many schools FOR A LOT LESS $$$. I had great classes, and lousy ones. I had amazing professors, and ones I disliked. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably have gone to a reputable state school like Chapel Hill or UVA on scholarship.

Compare YaleSave Yale