StudentsReview :: The University of Guelph-Humber College - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Guelph-Humber College (Canada)

I'm a fourth-year student about to graduate from

Mar 04 2013Communications
I'm a fourth-year student about to graduate from GH's Media Studies program. Guelph-Humber is the biggest ripoff institution you will EVER attend. It's pretty much a scam. They advertise that they'll give you both practical and theoretical experience--it's a lie! The only practical experience I got was through my internship that I got on my own time. My suggestion to you is this: IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING THIS PROGRAM, BUT HAVE AN OFFER ELSEWHERE, RUNNNN TO THAT OTHER SCHOOL. DO NOT COME TO GUELPH-HUMBER. I wish someone could've told me this prior to attending the "university". It's really a piece of crap, with an awful program head too.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
Aug 18 2014Other

Do even waste your time, energy, and money on this pathetic instition

Guelph-Humber was actually a great stepping stone for

Aug 11 2011Social Work
Guelph-Humber was actually a great stepping stone for me, because I didn't have the grades straight out of high school to get into other universities. So in that way, I am indebted to GH for sure. After second year I transferred out to a real university, graduated, and am now enrolled in a Masters program.

A word of caution to anyone considering the Family and Community Social Services (FCSS) program: it is NOT a social work program. You will end up graduating with a social service worker diploma that isn't even from an accredited S.S.W. school. Check it out for yourself: http://www.ocswssw.org/en/sw_ssw.htm

Program administrators regularly evaded and obfuscated this fact, assuring concerned students that accreditation was 'in the works'. Never mind that even for registered schools, the accreditation process occurs once every seven years!

If you do decide to enrol in this program, your best bet is to pursue a Masters degree afterwards, because on the face of it, potential employers will see ?social service diploma? and assume two years at college. Some of my former classmates did just that, but ready acceptance into MSW programs isn't a sure bet.

Other than that, I really thought that the plant wall and open atrium design at Guelph-Humber were pretty cool, and the girls were beautiful.

Starting Job: University Student Preparedness: - Reputation: D+