StudentsReview :: The University of Ontario Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Ontario Institute of Technology (Canada)

I want to take the time and warnSuper BrilliantUndecided
I want to take the time and warn future students about what they are getting into. Needless to say, I am not impressed with the environment, the overall atmosphere, the majority of those in charge at the administrative level, and those in charge of dealing with students.

Tuition: Rest assure, there will never be any issue here. Your payment will be taken. If you are a international student, expect problems to follow. They will accept your money but, fail to process your fees on time meaning, you will have holds on your account. This will prevent you from registering into blocks on time. Expect a crappy schedule.

Faculty: If you ever have the opportunity to have Katherine Fledderus or Peter Hupka, they are a delight, and truly love teaching. There are a lot of profs who are there as a trial and error experience bringing in zero qualifications for actual teaching abilities despite a extensive background in their field.

If you have not learned in the first or second week, switch blocks immediately. I had an issue where I was not being taught and the prof would mark like a dictator. Simply awful.

Campus: There is a lockdown every few months. Stabbing on campus. Several students have killed themselves. Emails about suicides would come in and despite this, the campus has not made it mandatory for a fall break. The security is a joke. The Simcoe building is a terrorists dream. There is one exit meaning, if something bad happened, you are in grave danger. This should be outlawed.

Further more, the campus has a lot of feminist propaganda, anti-male posters everywhere, and the setup is ideally directed towards female success. The ratio is 5:1 which sounds great. It is not. There is a lot of stds, a lot of single mothers, pregnant girls, and mental health among much of the students especially the females. Despite the mental health, this does not stop them from being allowed to go on feminist tyrant throughout the campus. A lot of strange behavior.

Placement: Many of those in charge of providing this are useless. Despite best efforts of acquiring opportunities, I am told I am not allowed. Not a problem if people would do the job.

Admissions: I applied for a program after finishing health sciences. They took my money, did not send my transcript on time to other universities meaning, the deadline had affected my application for oversubscribed programs. If this was not bad enough, they then had the nerve to place me on waiting list. When I inquired about as to why this happened, I was dismissed several times. When I finally followed up, it was revealed to me that, the admissions failed to process my application. Rather than reconcile this issue, they took my funds, and tried to black ball me. I tried calling to reconcile their mistake but with no such luck. It was not until I followed up with the Dean, Kevin Baker who over ruled admissions and had me entered into the program. It is unreal the kind of crap the place pulls but, there are some good profs and faculty.

Conflicts: If you have a conflict with a prof; lets say, they are not teaching you and yet, they are marking you harshly, you can call them on it. Expect a waterfall of nonsense to follow afterward. If you speak with a Dean, little will come of it. I spoke with Dean Baker. He reconciled this issue. The women back each other in these conflicts. It is not a male friendly environment.

Overall: I was told there would be bridging opportunities. There is none. I emailed and called regarding an appointment with admissions. Its been over a month and I have not heard from anybody. I am moving forward in my career but, I would not recommend coming to this institute. Cash is king. In this environment, your money will be taken, and you will be fucked around. The amount of issues has been overwhelming. Most would have cut their loses. At this point, I have another year and I will move onto the next stage of my career

3rd Year Female -- Class 2019
If you live in the GTA and areBrightOther
If you live in the GTA and are looking to get into game development, then look no further than UOIT. UOIT's Game Development and Entrepreneurship program has improved substantially since it first debuted in 2005. They will teach you all corners involved in the industry; programming, art, design, business, etc. The professors are very friendly, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable. The content is also very challenging. Only apply to this program if you're ready to bring your "A" game, because you'll only get what you put into it. Good luck! :)
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D
If you live in the GTA and areOther

Portland State University (OR) 1:negative