StudentsReview :: The University of Waterloo - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Waterloo (Canada)

Going to this university was the worst decisionQuite BrightSociology
Going to this university was the worst decision I have ever made in my entire life. I strongly encourage anyone who is considering Waterloo as their number one choice for their post-secondary education to please read what I have to say. I went to Waterloo starting in September of 2014 and I am transferring to Queen's this September because of my horrifying experience at this university. I entered in the arts&business co-op program because like the majority of people who choose Waterloo, I was fooled by the enticing co-op opportunity. Let me tell you that co-op is NOTHING compared to what it is cracked up to be. You will most likely not be given a job at all and don't expect to do anything within your chosen field, if you're lucky you'll be given a menial job that will provide you with little to no sense of enjoyment. For the amount that students invest into this co-op program, it is nothing close to what it should be and it ultimately leaves everyone wishing they would have chosen a more normal university and just gotten a summer job of their own each year. This school is grossly underfunded, the campus is absolutely disgusting and the majority of professors are pathetic. Oh, and you think other students may make your experience easier/better? THINK AGAIN the students have a close-minded, stuck up attitude and will do anything to see you fail. The social life at UWaterloo is horrible so expect to be bored the majority of the time. This institution has the most pathetic school spirit I have ever witnessed in my life, no one is interested in attending any of the very few events that are put on by the school and who can blame them? They're extremely lame and underfunded as well because guess what? NONE of the faculty at Waterloo or the students will care about you or your experience. If you want to end up depressed and questioning your whole career path then please, go to Waterloo. If you want to be happy, have a sense of pride about where you go, get involved with extra curricular activities and meet at least a few people who have a sense of normalcy or respect for each other then please I beg of you go somewhere else. I would do anything to erase my time at Waterloo and I still struggle with issues because of it, don't make the same mistake that I did.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Scholastic Success: B-, Education Quality: F
The school is a bureaucratic nightmare.BrightAccounting
The school is a bureaucratic nightmare. To them, you are nothing more than a spreadsheet and there is not one person who will look at you as if you're a human being. Ah, the joys of trying to take a class outside of my major that isn't a 101.

The 100 and 200 series classes are almost all introductory or common sense. I've seen friends take them and grow tremendously. I've also seen friends go insane from boredom. Waterloo does not offer a way to skip classes or go ahead. At most, there is sometimes a class with a moderate jump in difficulty.My experience has been almost entirely bad. Maybe it's because I tried to do something unusual. I cherish the memories and friends I've made, but it's always been in spite of the university. Not because of it.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
The reputation of a BCS from UW isQuite BrightComputer Science
The reputation of a BCS from UW is not worth the shit you have to go through. Math courses that you have to take are made too difficult due to TA's making assignments with the hardest possible questions. Math tests are similar- they don't test your understanding, they test how well you can learn on the spot what you have not been taught by the horrible class.

CS courses are almost as bad. Assignments are way too long and TA's who are payed to HELP YOU give no help whatsoever- they simply tell you to search your notes for something that has not been taught yet is on the assignments. I don't know what UW is trying to show by making these things harder than they need to be. You can't learn when you are drowning in assignments containing questions you have never learned the content of.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017