StudentsReview :: Concordia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Concordia University (Canada)

I wish I had gone to another universitySuper BrilliantEngineering Department
I wish I had gone to another university for my engineering degree. This university was full of low-class students. Concordia U allows anyone to come in and their standards are low. I find it is hard to connect with the students because I am American and most of the engineering students are from the Third World nations. I also find the profs not impressive. Many cannot even speak English. Anyway, I am transferring to a school in Alberta and I am looking forward to moving away from Montreal. Concordia is located in a downtown area that is plagued by homelessness and junkies and a student does not feel secure. I find it hard to take Concordia seriously as a university. It looks like a ghetto.
1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Concordia is downtown in an interesting city; however,Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Concordia is downtown in an interesting city; however, the campus is split in two with one portion being downtown (interesting night life, lots of concrete) and the other 10 km (6 miles) away (sports fields, older).

I'm in first year, so it's difficult to know yet if my program is taking me down the right path. I guess I'll know more when I try to get my first internship.... I'm living in residence, which is very convenient but the food service is bad, especially for what you pay.My biggest complaint right now is that as a student who didn't attend high school in Quebec (CEGEP), I have to wait days after my Quebec classmates to register for my courses -- which means the good schedules are gone and the electives that I want are full! Very frustrating, especially since I'm also paying more tuition than the students from Quebec!!

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Social Life: A, Campus Aesthetics: C+
To be clear, my program at Concordia isQuite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
To be clear, my program at Concordia is Computation Arts in the Fine Art department, not Design Art. I applied to Concordia almost on a whim as a back-up school and found myself attending after I was rejected by my first choice. I planned to stay for a semester or two and transfer back to a small liberal arts school in the States, which, I thought, offered the sort of education that I was looking for. To my surprise, after a few months I found myself getting a far superior education than anything I could find anywhere else. Concordia is rather heterogeneous ??I do believe that it should not be ranked highly as a university, but for certain types of people in certain programs, coupled with Montreal it can offer an education like no other. In a word, Concordia is all about flexibility. In my case, I found a highly rewarding job at a lab in my field within a month of arriving. This was not a matter of luck ??my program is highly funded and there is a lot of room for exceptional undergraduates in the labs. As I became comfortable with the city and my school, I found myself in a wonderfully enriching pattern where, thanks to the flexibility of my program, I was able to combine my school projects with my research projects. The net effect was that all of my projects were highly funded and to complete them I not only received help from my professor, but mentorship from my lab director and colleagues. I felt almost as if I were in more of a Renaissance workshop model of education than the typical individualist fine art education. Such a situation would not have been possible at a university with a more structured and rigorous curriculum. On top of this, the facilities for my program are over the top. We have access to state of the art wood and metal shops as well as a maquette and prototyping lab, a large cache of equipment, and some of the best professors and researchers in the field. Friends of mine have found similar niches. Stand-out philosophy student friends receive a lot of personal attention from the excellent professors. Students at a relatively little known program called the Liberal Arts College receive a "great books" education on par with, if not superior to Columbia University's Columbia College or Saint John's College. Science Students have a vaguely similar institution called the Science College (which goes nicely with the world-class psychology program). I'm sure there are more exceptions. Concordia is not a great all-around university, but in particular programs it attracts cutting-edge professors. Couple this with interesting research opportunities and the advantages of living Montreal and you have a great school for ambitious students who want flexibility in their education. Want to do pre-med, pre-law, political science? There are much better schools for this. Also, in general Concordia is recognized for its fine art program. Some refer to it as the 'best in Canada'. Great professors, great facilities, vibrant atmosphere (for instance, Art Matters, the largest student festival in Canada is run by Concordia fine art students).
3rd Year Male -- Class 2011