StudentsReview :: American University - Comments and Student Experiences

Georgetown University -- District of Columbia, DC

American University

AU offers great programs if you're pursuing aQuite BrightSchool of Information
AU offers great programs if you're pursuing a career in international relations or anything involved in politics. They create a four year path for you and set you up for success. There are also many activities offered on campus. But do not be fooled because AU has A LOT of issues that it needs to take care of. For the first weeks, the food offered at the dining hall seems great because there are many options and the food tastes great. After that weeks passes and the school year progresses, you notice the food gets substantially worse (the rice is not fully cooked, as well as the meat, and pasta); they seem to not know how to properly season food, and because the workers are paid so low and forced to work long hours, the workers are constantly seen fighting and yelling at each other and being rude to students. Not to mention each visit to the dining hall is basically $20 per trip, which is a huge rip off for the quality of it. As for the other food options on campus, there are not a lot of options and again, the workers are usually rude. In regards to AU being "prepared" for emergencies, they deserve a D. There were several instances where people I knew were in an emergency and AU's public safety did not know how to fully handle the situation; not to mention, AU does not like when an ambulance is called - they INSIST that you contact public safety first...even though they do not do anything except collect information about the residents. When it comes to the package system, AU loses packages all the time due to how unorganized it is. In regards to housing, each hall has its own infestations to deal with; whether it be ants, rats, or roaches, you will find at least one in each hall. If you ask for them to fix it, either they take their sweet time to do anything, or they try but the situation does not get fully resolved. Housing also does not seem to try their hardest to help those stuck in a tough roommate situation, even after constant pleads for help. So you better hope that you get a good roommate on the first try. With the amount of money each student has to pay, which is about $60 thousand a year, their should NOT be these many issues. If you have to basically sell your soul and pay that much, then AU should should get their act together asap. On a last note, this past school year (2014) AU accepted two times the amount of students they are supposed to, which would make one think that they would lower tuition, right? Nope, instead, they are increasing tuition and housing and dining rates in 2016 and again in 2017. It has also been rumored that they are going to cut acceptance rates after this year so as to make it seem as though they have a "low acceptance rate". This all makes it seem as though AU does not care for each individual student's education or experience, but rather, their money.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: C
Alright,History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Alright,
for the females,
Come with the mindset to work alot and not get laid (even if your standards in men are ok).
1. 70/30 female male ration. (the 60/40 is bullshit)
2. If your used to messing around with hot guys it aint happening. why? bc there arent any hot guys here. A few averagely attractive ones (very rare, usually athletes, chill at the gym but besides that no one knows where they are), then there's the average looking ones (who generally think their the shit bc the pretty girls crowd around them) Then the unattractive ones, the majority, who are also asexual due to their lack of exposure to sex. The rest are gay.

3. if you are a very pretty female you will score with an average dude but don't expect much more. Either lower your standards or go off-campus and a. chill with the old creepy foreign guys at clubs or b. chill with old guys at bars

Focus on education or else you will become desperate and needy for male attention as the rest of the straight female population.

This review isnt meant to scare you but to provide realistic facts about this schools gender scene so you will come prepared and without any great expectations. In fact I wish someone would have told me before hand.

I want to follow up a previous reviewBrightPhilosophy
I want to follow up a previous review that I made about AU.
When I was wrongly evicted from the dorm at AU in 1997, I received the following response from The Housing Dept signed by Julie Weber:

"For 'reasons of confidentiality', I will not discuss,the client's, case with you. American University is firmly committed to a policy of non-discrimination, including compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

First of all, I would like to reply to this letter now, so that prospective students might understand a little more about why I was evicted from my dorm, and how this action violated my rights.

First of all, the University does not care about confidentiality nor privacy. They ransacked my room while I was in the hospital. They accused me of "ritualistic behavior" for having a "crucifix," in my room. So, I take it, that practicing your faith is "ritualistic" and therefore against the rules. This was also never discussed at all with me nor my attorney.

Also, I did nothing wrong while I was at the Dorms. I was a diligent student with a B+ average.
I was successfully treated at a hospital for a brief stay while in between semesters, and this should have been a private situation handled between me and my doctors. Instead, the administration handed down a self-autonomous decision to evict me from my room. In addition Ms. Weber, and the administration did so in a dismissive and arrogant fashion, as demonstrated by their terse, unapologetic, correspondence.

2nd Year Male -- Class 1997
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Individual Value: D-
American University
Compare AmericanSave American

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→