StudentsReview :: American University - Comments and Student Experiences

Georgetown University -- District of Columbia, DC

American University

Alright,

Sep 27 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Alright,
for the females,
Come with the mindset to work alot and not get laid (even if your standards in men are ok).
1. 70/30 female male ration. (the 60/40 is bullshit)
2. If your used to messing around with hot guys it aint happening. why? bc there arent any hot guys here. A few averagely attractive ones (very rare, usually athletes, chill at the gym but besides that no one knows where they are), then there's the average looking ones (who generally think their the shit bc the pretty girls crowd around them) Then the unattractive ones, the majority, who are also asexual due to their lack of exposure to sex. The rest are gay.

3. if you are a very pretty female you will score with an average dude but don't expect much more. Either lower your standards or go off-campus and a. chill with the old creepy foreign guys at clubs or b. chill with old guys at bars

Focus on education or else you will become desperate and needy for male attention as the rest of the straight female population.

This review isnt meant to scare you but to provide realistic facts about this schools gender scene so you will come prepared and without any great expectations. In fact I wish someone would have told me before hand.

I want to follow up a previous review

Apr 15 2014Philosophy
I want to follow up a previous review that I made about AU.
When I was wrongly evicted from the dorm at AU in 1997, I received the following response from The Housing Dept signed by Julie Weber:

"For 'reasons of confidentiality', I will not discuss,the client's, case with you. American University is firmly committed to a policy of non-discrimination, including compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

First of all, I would like to reply to this letter now, so that prospective students might understand a little more about why I was evicted from my dorm, and how this action violated my rights.

First of all, the University does not care about confidentiality nor privacy. They ransacked my room while I was in the hospital. They accused me of "ritualistic behavior" for having a "crucifix," in my room. So, I take it, that practicing your faith is "ritualistic" and therefore against the rules. This was also never discussed at all with me nor my attorney.

Also, I did nothing wrong while I was at the Dorms. I was a diligent student with a B+ average.
I was successfully treated at a hospital for a brief stay while in between semesters, and this should have been a private situation handled between me and my doctors. Instead, the administration handed down a self-autonomous decision to evict me from my room. In addition Ms. Weber, and the administration did so in a dismissive and arrogant fashion, as demonstrated by their terse, unapologetic, correspondence.

2nd Year Male -- Class 1997
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Individual Value: D-

If I had the chance to redo it I would

Mar 10 2014Education
If I had the chance to redo it I would.... While American University looks great on paper (and they will try to sell you on tours), once you get here, it couldn't be any different. Everyone here is stuck up, pretentious and socially inept. If you want to be a Political Science or International Relations major- great. If not, don't come here. All the money, time and attention goes to those two programs. You'll often be forgotten about if you want to study anything else. Basically, you'll be wasting 60,000+ a year on nothing. The school gives no financial aid. The dorms suck. The food is disgusting (just last week one of the on campus food vendors got closed by the health department for MULTIPLE health violations), there is absolutely NO sense of community. If you are looking for a school where students interact and there are activities on campus- this is NOT the school for you. No one goes to sporting games, no one proudly wears AU gear. You feel as if you are going to a commuter school because no one interacts with one another, and god forbid the university plan any on campus activities. The school is 70/30 (female to male) though they will try and round that number to 60/40 but ITS NOT. You will feel as if you are going to an all girls school. Speaking of the girls that go here....there are only three types. 1. Crazy, slutty party girl who can't string together a sentence, and you're left wondering how the heck they got in here. 2. Can't function in society- weird, beyond weird. 3. Extreme feminists who believe they're going to be the next Obama, and refuse to talk about anything else. I'm all for women's rights but these are the EXTREME. the crazy extreme. If you are a normal down to earth girl, good luck meeting anyone sane.

Also, you think you'll be close to the city.... the shuttle is never on time, it takes 25 minutes just to get to the Tenleytown Metro (you're better off walking), and so by the time you get into the city, you've exhausted almost an hour.

Basically, the kids that couldn't get into Georgetown come here (I have no problem admitting I didn't have the grades for Georgetown). However, people here act as if they're better then Georgetown kids, and are extremely pretentious and think they're the best thing to ever happen. Hint: If you were Ivy material and as smart as you were, you'd be at Georgetown and not here at AU. Essentially, AU is a corrupt place that is only interested in taking your money and couldn't care less about their students. You are simply a number here. They simply present a facade on tours, that couldn't be further from the truth. Save your money, and go somewhere else. I'll be transferring next fall, and this semester couldn't end sooner.

Useful Schoolwork: A-, Individual Value: F