StudentsReview :: The Catholic University of America - Comments and Student Experiences

American University -- Washington, DC

The Catholic University of America

First of all, I would prefer to stayQuite Bright
First of all, I would prefer to stay somewhat anonymous, which is why I do not list my major. However, I had a positive experience at CUA, all in all. I'll discuss the negatives first, and then take a look at what made my experience positive:

I'm a very politically progressive person who was in one of CUA's few majors that skewed to the left. Many of CUA's other departments were definitely conservative. I often found CUA difficult in its politics, as it has a strict speaker policy which usually only allows for conservative speakers. This could be incredibly restricting at times, and I do wish that the university handled dialogue better (however, I do understand that this is indirectly the fault of the USCCB, which essentially runs CUA).

I am also a queer student who happened to come out while at CUA. If you are an LGBT prospective student, I would not recommend this school. It makes you feel uncomfortable in your own skin. I overheard conversations in my dorm about "the gay agenda" and had another girl confront me about "the lifestyle." As a woman, I felt respected. As a queer woman, I did not. Oddly enough, the staff in Campus Ministry were some of the most accepting people on campus, in my experience.

On to the positives...
I LOVED my program. There are so many great professors in the social sciences and liberal arts (I can't speak for STEM). I formed many great relationships with professors, who often invited me to office hours with them. In terms of academics, CUA was great. They could offer some more modern courses, but that's about it.

I developed a lot of strong friendships at CUA. Sure, there are a lot of the vineyard vines types, but there are many others who slip through the cracks, like myself. While there were many snobby students, it wasn't hard to find truly friendly people. CUA is not diverse at all, however. There's very little ethnic diversity, and almost no diversity in terms of sexual orientation. I felt somewhat isolated. Another downside: the God Squad. I did not like having Resident Ministers in my dorms, as they often tried too hard to relate and came across as fake. Everyone deeply involved in campus ministry was incredibly fake. There were many kind religious people, but these people were often not deeply associated with campus ministry. On the whole, the people at CUA are great, though.

The activities on campus are so-so. There are many clubs and groups, but the events they throw, besides the end of the year event, are often pretty disappointing. I had a lot of fun at CUA, but the events weren't one of the highlights.

You'll find a lot of opportunities on campus if you excel as a student. I am a dedicated student and throughout my time at CUA was noticed by my professors who truly cared about me. I would recommend CUA on the whole, I loved my experience there and would consider going back for graduate school, especially if the environment becomes more accepting.

4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: C
I can only speak for the Architecture departmentArchitecture
I can only speak for the Architecture department at the school and find that the program is extremely character building. I believe that the facilities and faculty really allow opportunites to grow in a variety of ways training the mind to think in a unique way for design. It has been many years since my graduation but at that time I could describe the education as almost a philosophy of design - unique to architecture schools. Could receieved benefit from more hands on real world experience earlier on in the program, maybe a bit more research opportunites also, but all and all a superb school with an outstanding program. Thank you CUA.
CUA helped by making me self-reliant in my
CUA helped by making me self-reliant in my studies. Also, I met some very fine individuals. One problem with CUA is the people you meet at CUA are on the main much better people than you meet in industry, therefore one needs to be more wary of people and realize that they are not ethical as the people you went to school with or as you are. However, people, employers, your bosses and ultimately your clients and students realize that you are an ethical person with good habits and really that is what CUA helps to reinforce. Also, it was a alot of fun!
Compare CUASave CUA