StudentsReview :: The Catholic University of America - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

American University -- Washington, DC

The Catholic University of America

Total Grad Surveys 15
Females 11
Males 4
Avg years at University 2.5
Research Quality C+ (5.2)
Research Availability C+ (5.2)
Research Funding C- (3.6)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.2)
Errand Runners C+ (5.2)
Degree Completion C+ (5.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.1)
Sufficient Pay C (5.0)
Competitiveness C+ (5.5)
Education Quality B- (6.1)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.8)
Useful Research C+ (5.5)
"Individual" treatment B- (5.8)
Friendliness C+ (5.7)
Safety C+ (5.5)
Campus Beauty B- (6.3)
Campus Maintenance C+ (5.6)
University Resource/spending C+ (5.1)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.7)
Success-Understanding C+ (5.4)
Surrounding City A (8.9)
Social Life/Environment B- (6.0)
Research FundingC-
Surrounding CityA
The majority of my grades were A withMay 21 2016Nursing
The majority of my grades were A with a few Bs. It was hard at times to get follow-up from the academic advisor and the person assigned as your resource person. When you reached out for help, you were left without guidance and response. I was not allowed to transfer into another major but after so much hard work, I was dismissed from the school.
CUA seems overly zealousMar 23 2015Social Work
CUA seems overly zealous about mandating enormous reading and writing assignments but lacks enthusiasm about students comprehending, learning, or retaining data. Academic counselors are reluctant to respond unless they know in advance the "context" of the students call.
Going to this school for masters of architectureJan 18 2007Architecture
Going to this school for masters of architecture was the worse decision of my life.

1. They expect you to do a colossal amount of work in very little time and with no intellectual value whatsoever. In the end weather you worked hard or not you and the next person that spent 2 seconds on it get the same grade. So the only way to get through is figure out what the teacher wants and then don’t do it just hand something in by the deadline and you'll do fine. If you dare try to learn from the projects they give you, you won’t have enough time and you won’t get any credit for it.

The amount of work for the number of credits is way off.
2. The administration doesn’t know what they are doing most of the time and are unfriendly when you ask for something.

3. This school costs way too much, NOT even if it was free because everything I’ve learned this year I learned by myself or from other students.

4. The architecture building is falling apart the roof leaks in a lot of places on the students projects and bugs fall out of the lights on drawings and there are many many mice, studio is too cold in the winter at night I guess they try to cut costs, and a lot of your stuff gets stolen.

5. Some faculty don’t know what they are doing and experiment on students every semester and another one likes to hit on all the students and Only one faculty member Vyt Gureckas I thought was brilliant and really cared about what students learned. He's the only reason I think my experience there was not a total loss.

I'm changing to another university and really upset about the year and stress I put myself through.

I got my undergraduateMar 05 2005Social Work
I got my undergraduate degree from CUA, and am now getting my masters in social work. I obviously enjoyed my time as an undergrad, and have had a great time as a grad student. The faculty is excellent in NCSSS, and
1) doing grad school at CUA was aMay 20 2004Sociology
1) doing grad school at CUA was a mixed bag- i had a great experience w/ my classes and i formed close bonds with professors **but** the school offers very little in the way of financial aid. people i know got screwed really bad by the fin. aid office... the administrators in general are pretty slow and not quite "with it."

2) CUA is mostly a commuter campus (esp. for grad students) so it can feel deserted on weekends. and then during the week it is near impossible to park your car.

3) I did not feel i was bombarded by "religion" while i was there, crucifixes in the dorm rooms and classrooms seemed odd at first (i'm not catholic) but it didn't come across as tasteless. the pro-life element of the student body kind of ticked me off though... they are expert propagandists.4) BROOKLAND- in my time there i witnessed the school credit union being robbed, an assault on a student and a carjacking. brookland is home to many good people and fun places (brooks', the franciscan monastery) but it's not for the faint of heart.

This program should be limited to professionals whoJul 07 2002Political Science
This program should be limited to professionals who are already employed in this academic field, e.g., defense contractors or federal government employees. Potential students who are not employed in these areas should not enroll in the Department of Politics, because the department does not support its students in funding, providing teaching opportunities, research or academic job search. The ideal student for this department is someone who is employed, already has knowledge is a specific area of research, is a self-starter and highly motivated. Others bewarned!
A small pond school with a typically small-pondApr 16 2001Architecture
A small pond school with a typically small-pond mentality. Resources for graduate studies of any significance are low. Tendency towrds aborption in some committees - thesis becomes generalized and sapped of interest / rigor. A weak geaduate program, wholly dependant on student motivation and completion of projects with low intellectual value
Will, this is myOct 01 2000Architecture
Will, this is my first year of graduate school, this is my fifth year here. I completed my BS in Architecture this past May. I decided to stay here for my Masters because they have an unique Masters in Architecture degree that only takes 3 semester.
Research Topic(s): I am working on created that