StudentsReview ™ :: Gallaudet University - Comments and Student Experiences

American University -- Washington, DC
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Gallaudet University

Gallaudet is awesome, sure there are some problems

Mar 03 2005English
Gallaudet is awesome, sure there are some problems but what University does not? I've had so many opportunities avaliable to me that I have had to turn a few down. I've met quit a few authors on campus, Gregory Maguire, Mark Kurlansky, and Stephen Pinker to name a few. As an English major interested in writing that is nothing short of awesome. the faculty in the english department are exceptional and eagerly offer students opportunities to get a leg up. As a writer of poetry, one prof e-mailed another prof at a college in NY to help me get a scholarship opportunity for a two week poetry course taught by Robert Pinsky with Charles Simic as a visiting poet. How awesome is that? (Sorry, thats my English nerd taking over). I've been to 6 National or Regional Collegiate Honors Conferences and presented in four of them. All Six trips have been at no cost to me. Gallaudet is nothing short of awesome, there are students that sit around and want everything handed to them on a platter. But, if you are one of those proactive students, Gallaudet is where you want to be.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C-

During my stay at Gallaudet, I met some

Feb 03 2005Art & Design Department
During my stay at Gallaudet, I met some wonderful people and made several great friends. We all kept one another in check and helped each other with course work.

It is easy to find the 'easy' courses by asking around, but there are some good courses, taught by some very good professors - you just need to ask around for those too. I thought the courses that were taught were challenging. If I could go back I would change my major, but at the time computer science was just emerging.

Gallaudet is unfortunately located in one of the worst areas of Washington, DC, and I am dismayed by the detoriorating environment of safety for the students. This is an issue that is only getting worse, and should be addressed if Gallaudet is to attract prospective students in the years to come. It is an excellent school and deaf students just graduating from high school should have an institution where they can further their education among deaf professors and other deaf students like themselves.

I'm currently attending a university for my Masters Degree and being in a hearing class made me realize how comfortable I was at Gallaudet. Being in a hearing class with hearing professors is very challenging, but the students and the professors have all been extremely helpful and supportive in my efforts.

I also feel that the academic/guidiance department at Gallaudet didn't prepare me for the working world after graduation. I was never interviewed for internships or given guidiance on jobs. You pretty much had to be proactive if you wanted anything from the faculty.The dormatories and other facilities were fairly new then and/or being remodeled (except for Peet and Cogswell). The library had just opened and it was a haven for studying as well as on the green. There were always plenty of resource materials for preparing term papers or for research.

Starting Job: Graphics Dept. Manager Preparedness: F Reputation: B+
Oct 24 2004Business - Management and Administration

Look this grade. It hurt our spirits!

Get free info from: Gallaudet University