StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

I applied to GW early decision, and afterBrightCommunications
I applied to GW early decision, and after one year at the school I am so happy that I go to school here. But like ANY school there are positives and negatives.

For me, the positives out-weigh the negatives, but I guess I could see why people transfer from it. True, SOME of the people here are full of themselves, snooty, and arrogant, but with almost 11,000 students undergrad, the whole population cannot be loving and caring about your individual needs. It is SO easy to make friends that have the same interests as you through sports, intermurals, an abundance of clubs and groups, student government, amazing internships in DC, and greek life. With all of these opportunities, it is easy to weed out the people that you don't want to be friends with.

One negative I do find is that we don't have a football team. I loved going to games in high school, and I miss that. But i have replaced football games with basketball games, and have even gone to the soccer field in DC to watch a professional game.

Another thing that I absolutely love about GW is DC. The location of the school cannot be beat. It is amazing, just a 15 minute walk to the monuments, 10 minutes from Georgetown, and right in the middle of so many amazing job opportunities. If you want to go into any sort of international or business career, DC is the place to study, get internships, and apply for jobs. I'm a Communications major and I have endless resources, even in such a political city.In all, I love it here and cannot wait to spend 3 more years at GW. Keep an open mind and go out and find people who share the same interests as you and you will be happy that you chose GWU.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B-
After one year at this miserable school, IBrightPsychology
After one year at this miserable school, I realized I would never be happy unless I transferred. GWU literally sucked the life out of me. The vast majority of people I met were unintelligent, out of touch with reality, appearance obsessed, bratty, spoiled, pathetic, insincere slackers.

The sorority girls at this school are something to behold; never have I met a more dimwitted, whorish, bitchy group. LADIES: Whether it is DG or ADPI YOU GIRLS NEED TO HIT THE FRICKING GYM. EW. If only others perceived you the way you perceive yourself.. sigh.

If you aren't Jewish, don't even bother applying.Worst year of my life. Peace out.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
My major wasn't in the drop down menuQuite BrightPolitical Science
My major wasn't in the drop down menu of options, but I was an International Affairs student in the Elliot School, and I graduated in '09.

What can I say about GW? It was... okay, I suppose. I chose the school because of its International Affairs school and the location, and those things turned out to be pretty good. I was never as intellectually challenged as I'd hoped to be--there were maybe one or two classes in the upper levels that really made me think, but otherwise, pure coasting. If you're going for something specialized that most schools don't have, like the International Affairs school or the Media and Public Affairs program, then it might be worth it, but otherwise, I'd go somewhere else.

And then, of course, there's the consideration of cost. Although I got a decent education at GW, I wouldn't say it was monetarily worth it, even with the half-tuition scholarship I received. I was especially disappointed with the lack of rigor in their languages programs. You would think they'd put more emphasis on those programs, considering the strong International Affairs focus of the school.

As for student life... again, it was... okay. I'm not from the east coast, and I was a public school student in high school, and I never really felt like I fit in. I managed to make a few friends, but none of those friendships has lasted after college. I also studied abroad for a year my junior year, and that didn't help at all when it came to making friends--I came back senior year and everyone had forgotten me. Student clubs and organizations are really cliquey; if you didn't join in your freshman year, you aren't going to be very welcome. However, I'm not very outgoing when it comes to making friends and meeting people, so if you're the social butterfly type and you're from the east coast and fit into that culture, you might have better luck than I did. There is literally no school spirit, and no campus to speak of, so if that's what you're looking for, I'd definitely go elsewhere.

The city location itself really can't be beaten. I had the opportunity to do some really excellent internships that I would never have been able to do anywhere else. And being in the thick of a lot of historic events made up for a lot. Overall, if I could do it over again, I probably would pick a different school, because GW just really wasn't the one for me. But a lot of people I knew seemed to like it, so I'm willing to believe I just wasn't compatible with the school. But the truth is that there is no strong sense of community or loyalty to the school among the alumni, even among people who enjoyed going to GW, so please keep that in mind.

4th Year Female -- Class 2009