StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

After one year at this miserable school, IBrightPsychology
After one year at this miserable school, I realized I would never be happy unless I transferred. GWU literally sucked the life out of me. The vast majority of people I met were unintelligent, out of touch with reality, appearance obsessed, bratty, spoiled, pathetic, insincere slackers.

The sorority girls at this school are something to behold; never have I met a more dimwitted, whorish, bitchy group. LADIES: Whether it is DG or ADPI YOU GIRLS NEED TO HIT THE FRICKING GYM. EW. If only others perceived you the way you perceive yourself.. sigh.

If you aren't Jewish, don't even bother applying.Worst year of my life. Peace out.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
My major wasn't in the drop down menuQuite BrightPolitical Science
My major wasn't in the drop down menu of options, but I was an International Affairs student in the Elliot School, and I graduated in '09.

What can I say about GW? It was... okay, I suppose. I chose the school because of its International Affairs school and the location, and those things turned out to be pretty good. I was never as intellectually challenged as I'd hoped to be--there were maybe one or two classes in the upper levels that really made me think, but otherwise, pure coasting. If you're going for something specialized that most schools don't have, like the International Affairs school or the Media and Public Affairs program, then it might be worth it, but otherwise, I'd go somewhere else.

And then, of course, there's the consideration of cost. Although I got a decent education at GW, I wouldn't say it was monetarily worth it, even with the half-tuition scholarship I received. I was especially disappointed with the lack of rigor in their languages programs. You would think they'd put more emphasis on those programs, considering the strong International Affairs focus of the school.

As for student life... again, it was... okay. I'm not from the east coast, and I was a public school student in high school, and I never really felt like I fit in. I managed to make a few friends, but none of those friendships has lasted after college. I also studied abroad for a year my junior year, and that didn't help at all when it came to making friends--I came back senior year and everyone had forgotten me. Student clubs and organizations are really cliquey; if you didn't join in your freshman year, you aren't going to be very welcome. However, I'm not very outgoing when it comes to making friends and meeting people, so if you're the social butterfly type and you're from the east coast and fit into that culture, you might have better luck than I did. There is literally no school spirit, and no campus to speak of, so if that's what you're looking for, I'd definitely go elsewhere.

The city location itself really can't be beaten. I had the opportunity to do some really excellent internships that I would never have been able to do anywhere else. And being in the thick of a lot of historic events made up for a lot. Overall, if I could do it over again, I probably would pick a different school, because GW just really wasn't the one for me. But a lot of people I knew seemed to like it, so I'm willing to believe I just wasn't compatible with the school. But the truth is that there is no strong sense of community or loyalty to the school among the alumni, even among people who enjoyed going to GW, so please keep that in mind.

4th Year Female -- Class 2009
University Resource Use/ spending: A, Useful Schoolwork: C
I am about to be a Jr.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am about to be a Jr. at GW and I wish I had more than just 2 years left.
Going to GW was probably the best decision I ever made, I love my school, the people I have met, and living in DC.

GW is really the only school that is truly IN DC.
The campus is 6 square block of GW-only buildings and surrounded by the Department of the Interior, The World Bank, Watergate and The K St. Law Offices. Campus is 2 blocks from The White House and 4 blocks from the National Mall. I go running around the Lincoln Memorial and Monument everyday.

I go out to bars in Georgetown on the weekends, and to dinner with my friends at Zagat's top rated restaurants. I was in the sea of people at the National Mall for Obama's inauguration and have listened to Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Al Gore and Ted Kennedy speak at campus panel events. I play soccer on the fields adjacent to the Lincoln Memorial, and some of my professors join us for 5pm pick up games. I go out to clubs on Saturdays where the Washington Redskins players buy tables, and take a bus to New York City with my friends on some long weekends.

I have interned at Merrill Lynch, World Wildlife Fund and the International Monetary Fund, each for a semester, and I just finished my Sophomore year.

This fall I will be spending the year at The London School of Economics, a program that I was accepted into because of recommendations from my professors that genuinely want me to succeed.

Many of my close friends are from other countries in Europe and around the world, but are all genuine, good people. One of my professors is an International Finance consultant for CNN, and another is the former FBI Research Director.

I am involved on campus in a professional fraternity and with the admissions office giving tours to prospective students. I also wrote for our student newspaper, The Hatchet and am making connections that will help me immensely after graduation.

I don't think that my college experience could get any better, and I am so happy that I picked GW, I simply love going to school in DC and with such a diverse group of students.

Sure there are some other students that I have no interest in being friends with, some that are snobby or bratty, dramatic or malicious. But for every person like that, there are 3 people that are friendly, kind and interesting. GW is also an incredibly bureaucratic school that has a lot of "red tape" and could use a unification consultant, but those short frustrations are something that I don't mind dealing with, because of how great everything else is.

I am a business school student, and while I find my classes very challenging, and the career services in the business school to be great, I have heard that other schools have lower quality resources and a lot of blow-off classes in their curriculum.

GW does a great job updating buildings and designing great housing, our dorms are like palaces and our academic buildings are state of the art.

The one thing that no other school can beat: GW's location, right in the heart of DC. I never want to leave!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012