StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

So I relied pretty heavily last year whenBrightPolitical Science
So I relied pretty heavily last year when I was applying to schools and which to attend. I thought I might return the favor.

GWU! I had been set on going to a very different kind of university (almost ivy-league, "where fun goes to die", intense schoolwork). I wasn't able to attend because of financial restraints and ended up at GWU.

Point 1: GWU can be awesome about financial aid. I heard someone say once that the rich population subsidizes everyone else. Couldn't be more true.

Point 2: Not everyone here is magnificently wealthy and shallow like so many would like to believe. I see those kids here everyday but somehow, everyone I end up speaking to and hanging out with are so far from that description. Most everyone here is down to earth and beyond friendly. If you are worried about "not being right for GW", don't decide on a lack of wealth. If you are outgoing, excited about living life, wanting to meet tons of people, and engaged in the greater world around you, GW is the place for you.

Point 3: There is a definite distinction between the colleges. As an Elliott School for International Affairs student, most everyone in my classes are diverse and encourage interesting discussion as they relay their experiences. Personally, I have yet to leave the country, but that hasn't stopped me from connecting with those who have already traveled the world and for those individuals to connect with me. When it comes to the general Columbian college, the caliber of student is noticeably lower. This isn't true of all of the students, but a good majority of them.

Point 4: When it comes to the difficulty of the coursework, it all depends on you. I know a lot of people who look for classes with the least amount of work and are the easiest. Subsequently, they learn almost nothing. I took the hardest classes I could find, including an intensive language course, and found the best professors around. I was challenged and learned a lot. It all depends on what effort you put into choosing your classes and your assignments.

Point 5: I wasn't a fan of DC when I got here. It seemed shallow and fake. And people here are so driven that sometimes it is hard to distinguish between those with a sincere interest in their studies or those just looking for the prestige of a certain status. But, in the semester and a half that I have lived here, I have grown to love the city. It has everything you could ever ask for.

Point 6: If you do attend the university in the Elliott school, take advantage of the many events they have (something scheduled for every day). Attending the numerous speakers and panels at the Elliott School has added so much to my education that I would have otherwise forgone. Overall, I am glad I came here. People here are great and friendly. My college is the best around for policy studies and international affairs. Wouldn't change a thing.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C+
Even though i have only spent one semesterQuite BrightEconomics
Even though i have only spent one semester here, i have loved every second of it. of course there are some negatives, but they are easy to get over. the issue i most want to address is the supposed "rich and arrogant" population. i live in a six person dorm room (which is much better than one would expect, a lot better than a quad) and 4 out of 6 are on financial aid, including myself. the 2 others had to take out private loans in order to attend. of course there are the rich kids, the ones that go out clubbing every night, and throw around money, but they are in the minority. the vast majority of students are down to earth, and very friendly. i have gotten a chance to visit friends at other colleges, and the student populations are quite similar. one thing about george washington is that social events are very non-exclusive, compared to other colleges that i have visited. frat parties are not invite only and there are constantly events being held which the entire student population is invited. the professors: ive had 2 amazing, life changing ones, and 2 not so hot ones. compared to my friends at other universities, i fair about the same. i could go on and on, but i should probably address the negatives. you sometimes feel lost, its a very hands-off, instant immersion. make friends quick. the meal plan sucks, and is way too expensive. most of us are starving at the end of the semester. all in all though, gdub is 10x greater than i ever imagined.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013