StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

As a freshman at GWU, I have toQuite BrightPolitical Science
As a freshman at GWU, I have to say it has been amazing. I love DC and everything it has to offer. I love that I can walk to the Lincoln memorial and just people watch and study on a Sunday afternoon. I love that I can go to a protest at the White House or go flyering on K street and still get back to campus for a class later that afternoon. Th DC metro is so nice, and practically all the museums are free. I am living on the mount vernon campus and I actually really like it. The dorms are really nice. Everyone dogs on gwu for not having a traditional campus and as a freshman on the vern I got to experience a "green" campus with a quad ect. which was nice but honestly I really love the Foggy Bottom Campus too. Its not just random buildings on different streets gwu does have an identifiable campus in the city. Classes are challenging but most professors want you to succeed. Kids take their studies seriously. I think we have a work hard play hard attitude. Yes, there are a lot of upper-middle class white kids from new jersey, new york, and massachusetts but there is also an incredible amount of diversity. I love that a professor in my econ class can just ask a student from china for their opinion on the economic situation there. The other great thing is everyone is really ambitious, like everyone is a student leader in some way. There are speakers on every subject that come to gwu to lecture throughout the week. Ambassadors, authors, politicians, you could go to an event virtually everyday of the week. The social life is pretty awesome. Greek life is big but you won't feel alone if you don't rush or pledge. You can pretty much find at least two to four frat parties happening on friday and saturday every week. UPD wont bust them. Clubs are huge in DC. Thur, Fri, and Sat, if you want to go out there will be at least one 18+ option. but they can get expensive. A lot of people party but I know a good amount of people who don't drink and they have lots of friends and a life.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Social Life: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C+
I am currently a sophomore at GW andBrightPolitical Science
I am currently a sophomore at GW and I can honestly say that one of the worst decisions I have made in my life so far was to apply to GW. While DC is great, GW students often find themselves lost in "GW's DC" and not the real DC. What I mean by that is GW students have created this fake little world where without a great deal of money, it is hard to have a good time. If you are looking to spend your 4 years of school with arrogant, selfish, and extremely Jappy people, than GW is the place for you. Students at GW feel as though they are better than everyone else simply because they have more money. So most people say: Not everyone can be so rich...what do those kids do? NOTHING is the answer. I have found myself distraught because I am a financially well off kid who has never felt "poor" before and I feel like GW has done this to me. When I am trying to go out and have a good time I cant because I'm stressed about how much money I am spending to go to some superficial club or bar where your designer button down is more important than anything else. I have visited many other schools where kids are happy, accepting, diverse, and simply are out to have a good time, and realized that GW just isn't that type of place. The Greek life is an absolute joke, and the Frats might as well be snooty country clubs where members can play chess and discuss their shoe collections. Also, the University Police and Student Judicial Services might as well be the Gestapo. The University is so worried about not looking like one of "those low-class state schools" that they end up punishing anyone who could potentially screw up their image. I have two friends who are being expelled because they were involved in a fight out of self defense. One kid was called a "faggot", and punched in the face. He responded and knocked the aggressor out. GW police as well as Metro PD showed up and my friend was arrested by the district police as well as the GW police. When he had his Metro court date, the judge laughed at the case and dismissed his charges because he was simply defending himself from an aggressor. GW dragged the case out for 2 months and refused to take self defense into account. Because the kids daddy happened to donate a building to the school, my friend was kicked out of the school while the other kid was allowed to stay. I would advise you to cross GWU off your list unless you are a snotty millionaire who enjoys hanging out with superficial assholes!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
Education Quality: B+, Innovation: F
So I relied pretty heavily last year whenBrightPolitical Science
So I relied pretty heavily last year when I was applying to schools and which to attend. I thought I might return the favor.

GWU! I had been set on going to a very different kind of university (almost ivy-league, "where fun goes to die", intense schoolwork). I wasn't able to attend because of financial restraints and ended up at GWU.

Point 1: GWU can be awesome about financial aid. I heard someone say once that the rich population subsidizes everyone else. Couldn't be more true.

Point 2: Not everyone here is magnificently wealthy and shallow like so many would like to believe. I see those kids here everyday but somehow, everyone I end up speaking to and hanging out with are so far from that description. Most everyone here is down to earth and beyond friendly. If you are worried about "not being right for GW", don't decide on a lack of wealth. If you are outgoing, excited about living life, wanting to meet tons of people, and engaged in the greater world around you, GW is the place for you.

Point 3: There is a definite distinction between the colleges. As an Elliott School for International Affairs student, most everyone in my classes are diverse and encourage interesting discussion as they relay their experiences. Personally, I have yet to leave the country, but that hasn't stopped me from connecting with those who have already traveled the world and for those individuals to connect with me. When it comes to the general Columbian college, the caliber of student is noticeably lower. This isn't true of all of the students, but a good majority of them.

Point 4: When it comes to the difficulty of the coursework, it all depends on you. I know a lot of people who look for classes with the least amount of work and are the easiest. Subsequently, they learn almost nothing. I took the hardest classes I could find, including an intensive language course, and found the best professors around. I was challenged and learned a lot. It all depends on what effort you put into choosing your classes and your assignments.

Point 5: I wasn't a fan of DC when I got here. It seemed shallow and fake. And people here are so driven that sometimes it is hard to distinguish between those with a sincere interest in their studies or those just looking for the prestige of a certain status. But, in the semester and a half that I have lived here, I have grown to love the city. It has everything you could ever ask for.

Point 6: If you do attend the university in the Elliott school, take advantage of the many events they have (something scheduled for every day). Attending the numerous speakers and panels at the Elliott School has added so much to my education that I would have otherwise forgone. Overall, I am glad I came here. People here are great and friendly. My college is the best around for policy studies and international affairs. Wouldn't change a thing.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013