StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

I unfortunately decided to stick out this experienceQuite BrightOther
I unfortunately decided to stick out this experience for four years. I do not recommend it. Though the faculty in my specific department were friendly and seemed to care (I studied a foreign language), the rest were not very approachable. This school costs too much and really does not care about students, but about money. The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences is absolutely pathetic. I had four different advisors in my four years at GWU. My first met me in her office along with five other people. She left the school, leaving me in my sophomore year with no advisor. It goes on and on. The students at GWU are some of the most spoiled brats I have ever met. The brainless ones walk around complaining how daddy wont give them $1000 to blow on spending at Cusp in Georgetown. The smart ones think they are gods gift to the subject of international affairs and it seems that despite their liberal inclinations, their greatest fantasy is to be Jack Bauer on 24. The clubs/student orgs are basically microcosms of these two types of people. They think they can go out and have a bake sale on a Saturday night and believe that this was some type of sacrifice for whatever cause they proclaim to be involved with.There are some good aspects of Washington DC such as internships and other organizations th get involved with, but honestly if you want an internship in DC, go to another college and take a semester off to do one. Washington DC breeds the kind of environment that these kids love and feed off of, everyone is quite cut throat and snobby. They yell at poor tourists who god forbid they stand on the left side of the escalator. Rule of thumb: stay out of DC, stay away from any universities in DC, and definitely stay away from GWU.
4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A-, Individual Value: F
GWU is definitely not what I expected.BrightEconomics
GWU is definitely not what I expected. Of course, the atmosphere of being in the heart of DC can't be matched, even by the other universities in DC; this is GW's major strength. The student body is somewhat snooty and arrogant, but not as bad as I expected. It is very diverse, yet surprisingly cliquey. Greek life has grown a lot and definitely dominates many aspects of campus/social life; this has been frustrating as a non-Greek who was under the impression that Greek life has a smaller presence here. There is a serious lack of intelligent people here. Many students have a sense of entitlement and conversation with them is rarely intellectually stimulating. The professors are hit or miss, with many having interesting day jobs which can be both good and bad for the students; homework is usually busywork and does not improve critical thinking abilities. I am an International Affairs/Econ major and some of my classes have been interesting but generally are not. In all, GW is not at all what I was hoping for, and I would have chosen another school and have even considered transferring.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Useful Schoolwork: D
I went to GW wanting to meet smartQuite BrightOther
I went to GW wanting to meet smart and worldly people who shared my interest in international affairs and culture. Basically, it's just a bunch of arrogant, rich, lazy, alcoholics who are not intelligent and won't be friends with you if you can't afford to go clubbing or shopping in Georgetown everyday. The people are horrible and condiscending to the point where I am considering transferring. I cannot stress enough how horrible the people are. I'm not rich and couldn't afford to go clubbing and shopping after the first couple months, and so my "friends" dropped me like "that."

The freshmen dorms are disgusting especially for such a hefty price, and the Vern campus is a waste of space since NO ONE wants to live there.

Even so, the Elliott School has great events and the city itself is great, but AVOID GW! I even work for the university and would NOT recommend it to a good friend.

On a more academic side, the classes should have been more challenging and the teachers more engaged with their students. No one takes GW seriously as I skipped the last half of one of my classes and still got at A! Also the food plan at the dining hall is overpriced. So don't go here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014