StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

Oct 30 2011Economics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
GWU is definitely not what I expected. Of course, the atmosphere of being in the heart of DC can't be matched, even by the other universities in DC; this is GW's major strength. The student body is somewhat snooty and arrogant, but not as bad as I expected. It is very diverse, yet surprisingly cliquey. Greek life has grown a lot and definitely dominates many aspects of campus/social life; this has been frustrating as a non-Greek who was under the impression that Greek life has a smaller presence here. There is a serious lack of intelligent people here. Many students have a sense of entitlement and conversation with them is rarely intellectually stimulating. The professors are hit or miss, with many having interesting day jobs which can be both good and bad for the students; homework is usually busywork and does not improve critical thinking abilities. I am an International Affairs/Econ major and some of my classes have been interesting but generally are not. In all, GW is not at all what I was hoping for, and I would have chosen another school and have even considered transferring.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Useful Schoolwork: D
Jul 12 2011Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I went to GW wanting to meet smart and worldly people who shared my interest in international affairs and culture. Basically, it's just a bunch of arrogant, rich, lazy, alcoholics who are not intelligent and won't be friends with you if you can't afford to go clubbing or shopping in Georgetown everyday. The people are horrible and condiscending to the point where I am considering transferring. I cannot stress enough how horrible the people are. I'm not rich and couldn't afford to go clubbing and shopping after the first couple months, and so my "friends" dropped me like "that."

The freshmen dorms are disgusting especially for such a hefty price, and the Vern campus is a waste of space since NO ONE wants to live there.

Even so, the Elliott School has great events and the city itself is great, but AVOID GW! I even work for the university and would NOT recommend it to a good friend.

On a more academic side, the classes should have been more challenging and the teachers more engaged with their students. No one takes GW seriously as I skipped the last half of one of my classes and still got at A! Also the food plan at the dining hall is overpriced. So don't go here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A+, University Resource Use: D+
Jan 27 2011Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
For the amount of money that my family had to pay in order for me to go here was insane. I thought that I would get a good education and college experience. What I received was the worst year of my life. I left after my freshman year and am much happier at my new school.

First of all, there is no campus. Secondly, the students are mostly all the same-condescending, spoiled rich kids. Professors don't give a damn about their students. Food is overpriced and terrible. I even got food poisoning and when I went to report it to the administration, they simply laughed at me.PLEASE GO TO ANOTHER SCHOOL.