StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

Nov 26 2010Business - Management and Administration

The GW community is VERY accepting and liberal leaning. Gays and JAPs are everywhere!

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B-

I applied to GW early decision, and after

Aug 15 2010Communications
I applied to GW early decision, and after one year at the school I am so happy that I go to school here. But like ANY school there are positives and negatives.

For me, the positives out-weigh the negatives, but I guess I could see why people transfer from it. True, SOME of the people here are full of themselves, snooty, and arrogant, but with almost 11,000 students undergrad, the whole population cannot be loving and caring about your individual needs. It is SO easy to make friends that have the same interests as you through sports, intermurals, an abundance of clubs and groups, student government, amazing internships in DC, and greek life. With all of these opportunities, it is easy to weed out the people that you don't want to be friends with.

One negative I do find is that we don't have a football team. I loved going to games in high school, and I miss that. But i have replaced football games with basketball games, and have even gone to the soccer field in DC to watch a professional game.

Another thing that I absolutely love about GW is DC. The location of the school cannot be beat. It is amazing, just a 15 minute walk to the monuments, 10 minutes from Georgetown, and right in the middle of so many amazing job opportunities. If you want to go into any sort of international or business career, DC is the place to study, get internships, and apply for jobs. I'm a Communications major and I have endless resources, even in such a political city.In all, I love it here and cannot wait to spend 3 more years at GW. Keep an open mind and go out and find people who share the same interests as you and you will be happy that you chose GWU.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B-

My major wasn't available but Math is closest

Sep 01 2010Math
My major wasn't available but Math is closest. I arrived at GWU with a nearly full-ride scholarship from a very low income family (we're talking <$20K a year).

Overall, I very much enjoyed my experience at GW, especially my academic experience. My courses in math and science were high quality and rigorous but not impossibly so, and the honors program had other fun and interesting courses that were intellectually stimulating. I took courses in classics/latin and music for fun and the curriculum is sufficiently flexible to allow for this (although engineering majors have much less flexibility, FYI). I'm glad I had the opportunity to do this, as I am a grad student at another university now and only take (really hard!) courses in my discipline.

I had internships at NIH and a private science company, as well as positions on campus. I believe my internships and research experiences (two thesis projects my senior year) helped me get into a top top school for my PhD.

There are people from wealthy backgrounds, but I didn't feel the need to "keep up with them." I am who I am, I eat where I eat, and I wear what I wear! I've also found that wealthy students can be found everywhere, even at public institutions that are much cheaper. Do not let it keep you from attending! I made a lot of good friends, and they just happened to be people I met at work or through friends of friends and were not current students. I recommend GW for the academic community, research opportunities, internships, and flexibility of coursework. The location is amazing, and most of the classes are small. I got to know several faculty members well and they wrote me fantastic letters for grad school!

4th Year Female -- Class 2005