StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

Quite simply?

Oct 30 2012English
Quite simply? Best experience of my life. I transferred from Indiana at Bloomington and comparatively, to me, GWU felt like Harvard. What a contrast. I felt like I was getting a true, serious, world-class, Grade A top-notch education. I'm so grateful for it.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
University Resource Use: A+, Individual Value: A-

I have some complaints but overall I'm glad

Oct 03 2012Language - French/Spanish/etc.
I have some complaints but overall I'm glad that I transferred to GW. I transferred from a uni located in a more rural setting, where the college town was the ONLY town. GW provided me with the opportunity to live my own life in DC without feeling particularly anti-social with regards to my total non-involvement in "GW Pizza Night" or whatever it is universities put on for the kids these days. I was not interested in being part of a school community, and this was not even noticed (much less held against me) by the GW student body.

The academics ran hot and cold for me. Most of my professors were Ivy educated (or foreign equivalent) so I felt I had access to some of the best minds in the field. I noticed a huge disparity in student interest though. There are lots of students merely going through the motions, while I also came across many ambitious and hardworking and intellectually curious people. In my first year it was quite common to be in a class where discussion would always be made up of the same three students (the other 8 or 9 not having done the reading and who are only taking the course to fulfil general requirements). In this sense, I think the notion that "your education is what you make of it" would fit very well as a description of GW.BTW, residential Foggy Bottom is very nice. The buildings look similar to what you'd find in residential Georgetown. The university's buildings are all ugly though. DC in general has more than its fair share of ugly architecture, but then I've never been a fan of Brutalism (like Gelman Library, for example, which looks like a prison).

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Extracurricular Activities: D-

I cam to GW looking for an experience,

Oct 23 2012Art & Design Department
I cam to GW looking for an experience, and after almost a year and a half here, I can definitely say that I have. One aspect about this school that I have come to embrace is the fact that it represents every aspect that you will have to confront following graduation. Yes, there are a few snotty and condescending people. Yes, there is a bureaucracy that can make accomplishing tasks difficult. Yes, the food isn't great, and yes, the dorms can be in sub-par condition. Yet, there are absolutely wonderful aspect about GW that cannot be found anywhere else.

The first is the diversity; GW's student body has about 10,000 people; meaning there is a whole spectrum of individuals, some of who are some absolutely incredible and wonderful people. While frats do have a presence on campus, it is very easy to have a thriving social life without having to join one, and it is very easy to have a social life without alcohol. DC itself is such a thriving and bustling city, and it has so much to offer. You can very easily access any part of the city via Metro or even walking from GW's campus.

As for academics, I have been challenged in a majority of my classes, and I have had to work very hard for the grades I have now. While I have been in a few lecture halls that had hundreds of students, I have also had classes with five people and a professor. And while some people complain about TAs, I have found that they can be even more helpful than the professor at times. However, a good amount of of my professors here have been very accessible, and have always been accommodating to my needs.

Additionally, access to jobs and internships at GW is one of the greatest assets that this school has at its disposal. If they are taken advantage of, any individual will be perfectly capable of finding work after graduation, regardless of major.

Ultimately, if someone comes here expecting the university to give them everything on a silver platter, they need to find a different school. But if he or she is willing to work for what they want, undoubtedly, it will be attained.Has my experience here been perfect? No. But it is the best school that I could have chosen for myself. I regret nothing.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015