StudentsReview ™ :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

I came to this school as a transfer

Mar 05 2010Political Science
I came to this school as a transfer student from a community college (I needed something to get in since I went into the Army after high school). For the person who said the only people complain went to public, I must agree. I did, and I'm not ashamed. Really shows the character private schools gave them, and not to mention the educational intelligence (why didn't the students go to a Ivy League school? I guess public school gets people the same results. In fact, most students from Harvard are regular people who went to public schools, so that was a really dumb comment). I am an extremely wealthy student here, probably more than most of the kids, but I am very disturbed by the lack of class, rudeness, and arrogant behavior most of the students seem to offer. 95% of the student body are not intelligent at all. In fact, I think most should have go to the University of West Virginia, but I guess placing a "no" on the financial aid section really helps. The students seem to think bragging about mommy and daddy's money will get them into a high level job, but I'm excited to see where they will be really be placed.

As for the professors, some are brilliant. Others extraordinary and dedicated. But for the most part, most of them are lacking in creativity, knowledge, and motivation. The political science department is pretty great. The advisors are helpful and nice. The professors can really open your eyes to a whole different world. I was a business major before, and the business professors at GW really, really, really suck. Like beyond sucking. I would stay away from GW Business. There are much better schools out there. Even University of Maryland is ranked much higher (and way cheaper).

The amount of money students pay is ridiculous. The dorms really suck, and freshmen and sophomores are forced to stay in one. I was in Ivory Tower, which was the best at the time, and it was very ghetto. There is one cafeteria that has a huge lack of food options. The classrooms are worn down and old. The auditorium is below average. There are no restaurants in the area. There is nothing to do.Besides from some professors and GWork, I would give anything to attend another university, and I really regret my decision.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A, Social Life: F

I am currently a sophomore at GW and

Feb 13 2010Political Science
I am currently a sophomore at GW and I can honestly say that one of the worst decisions I have made in my life so far was to apply to GW. While DC is great, GW students often find themselves lost in "GW's DC" and not the real DC. What I mean by that is GW students have created this fake little world where without a great deal of money, it is hard to have a good time. If you are looking to spend your 4 years of school with arrogant, selfish, and extremely Jappy people, than GW is the place for you. Students at GW feel as though they are better than everyone else simply because they have more money. So most people say: Not everyone can be so rich...what do those kids do? NOTHING is the answer. I have found myself distraught because I am a financially well off kid who has never felt "poor" before and I feel like GW has done this to me. When I am trying to go out and have a good time I cant because I'm stressed about how much money I am spending to go to some superficial club or bar where your designer button down is more important than anything else. I have visited many other schools where kids are happy, accepting, diverse, and simply are out to have a good time, and realized that GW just isn't that type of place. The Greek life is an absolute joke, and the Frats might as well be snooty country clubs where members can play chess and discuss their shoe collections. Also, the University Police and Student Judicial Services might as well be the Gestapo. The University is so worried about not looking like one of "those low-class state schools" that they end up punishing anyone who could potentially screw up their image. I have two friends who are being expelled because they were involved in a fight out of self defense. One kid was called a "faggot", and punched in the face. He responded and knocked the aggressor out. GW police as well as Metro PD showed up and my friend was arrested by the district police as well as the GW police. When he had his Metro court date, the judge laughed at the case and dismissed his charges because he was simply defending himself from an aggressor. GW dragged the case out for 2 months and refused to take self defense into account. Because the kids daddy happened to donate a building to the school, my friend was kicked out of the school while the other kid was allowed to stay. I would advise you to cross GWU off your list unless you are a snotty millionaire who enjoys hanging out with superficial assholes!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
Education Quality: B+, Innovation: F

This medical school thinks it's better than it

Nov 03 2009PreMed and Medical
This medical school thinks it's better than it is. The tuition forces military service, and if you don't you will be flayed alive. Being a Washington institution, anything could happen to you. Graduates accomplish the goals of the government, not of their own career desires. The experience is not worth the debt. Many of my frineds who went to other med schools, or did not attend college at all have fared better than I because of constant federal student loan harassments and exclusions from insurances. People who are "providers" of marijuana in california have better financial health.
Starting Job: drywall taper Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F