StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

My major wasn't available but Math is closest.Quite BrightMath
My major wasn't available but Math is closest. I arrived at GWU with a nearly full-ride scholarship from a very low income family (we're talking <$20K a year).

Overall, I very much enjoyed my experience at GW, especially my academic experience. My courses in math and science were high quality and rigorous but not impossibly so, and the honors program had other fun and interesting courses that were intellectually stimulating. I took courses in classics/latin and music for fun and the curriculum is sufficiently flexible to allow for this (although engineering majors have much less flexibility, FYI). I'm glad I had the opportunity to do this, as I am a grad student at another university now and only take (really hard!) courses in my discipline.

I had internships at NIH and a private science company, as well as positions on campus. I believe my internships and research experiences (two thesis projects my senior year) helped me get into a top top school for my PhD.

There are people from wealthy backgrounds, but I didn't feel the need to "keep up with them." I am who I am, I eat where I eat, and I wear what I wear! I've also found that wealthy students can be found everywhere, even at public institutions that are much cheaper. Do not let it keep you from attending! I made a lot of good friends, and they just happened to be people I met at work or through friends of friends and were not current students. I recommend GW for the academic community, research opportunities, internships, and flexibility of coursework. The location is amazing, and most of the classes are small. I got to know several faculty members well and they wrote me fantastic letters for grad school!

4th Year Female -- Class 2005
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
Best choice I couldQuite BrightPublic Health
Best choice I could have possibly made! Sure, there are plenty of spoiled rich kids whose grades certainly did not get them into GW, but there are also plenty of "real" people who are genuinely interesting and fun. Plus, DC is the BEST for college students.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Social Life: A+, University Resource Use: C+
I came to GW in a last secondQuite BrightChemistry
I came to GW in a last second decision based on financial aid (yes, it has high tuition but also amazing financial aid making it the most affordable school on my list).

GW was a relative match/safety for me, so I really didn't know much about it when I came onto this website and became terrified of what my experience might be like. I was already looking into transferring before I even stepped foot on the campus.

Then I actually came here.
One thing I would really like to clarify- the people who say that there are kids who drive mercades and BMWs around campus could not be any less true- most people here do not have cars.

I also don't understand what people mean when they say the students like to "show they have money." Do you they mean clothes?- I've never noticed anything excessive, maybe I'm just not good at noticing those things.

You are less likely to see students wearing sweatpants to class- but that mainly has to do with the campus being on the streets than anything else

The people I have made friends with here have been amazing, I have never felt more like I belonged when I am with my friends here

It is true- there are snooty and arrogant people, I have met people who are so materialistic I've wanted to punch them: but in my opinion they are in the minority

There are some improvements the university could stand to make: I have been unhappy with the dining plan and my adviser

Living in DC is amazing- there is always something happening and you do not have to spend too much money to enjoy yourself.

The majority of my professors have been dedicated and effective teachers (i do recommend, because there are some bad apples)

So far I have enjoyed every class I have takenI do sometimes wonder if I would be better suited in a campus with rolling hills and a grander campus- but then I think about everything coming here has enabled me: all of the great experiences and amazing people I have met, and I realize that coming here was one of the best decisions I've made

1st Year Male -- Class 2013