StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

If you are interested in going to schoolQuite BrightPolitical Science
If you are interested in going to school in Washington, DC, GW is the best place to go. Unlike Georgetown, American, Catholic or any other DC university, GW is in the heart of Washington, just a few blocks away from the White House. Although the campus loses points in aesthetics due to its location, the opportunity to go to school right next to the White House is an experience I will never regret. The other key piece of information about GW is that the word "if" doesn't exist in a Colonial's vocabulary. "When I become President," "When I become UN Ambassador," "When I become Director of the CIA"...For Political Science Junkies, GW is the best in the country. No question.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+
I have only finished my first semester atBrightEconomics
I have only finished my first semester at GW and have already begun considering transferring for a variety of reasons.

First of all, the price. An undergraduate degree from GW is not worth $250,000, it isn't even close. You don't get your money's worth. Although the professors are intelligent they could not care less about the students. Most of them are inaccessible outside of class and don't want to be bothered with the students. So far I have found my academic experience to be not engaging, not challenging, and not worth my time or money.

The second thing that is terrible about this school is the "meal plan." The food here is disgusting and over priced. Unlike other colleges that allow you unlimited food per swipe they make you weigh you're food and overcharge you for it. They even make you pay 39 cents for a cup of water. Not enough bad things can be said about this meal plan, I was starving by the end of the semester.

The people are generally also terrible. They are snobby, arrogant, and frown on anybody who doesn't fit those qualities. They think it's cool to get bad grades and waste mommy and daddy's money shopping and at clubs. I was also surprised by how lazy and unmotivated a majority of the student body is. There is also no school pride whatsoever. The only pride people have is for their fraternity or sorority, which dominate the social scene at this school. If you aren't interested or can't afford to be a part of greek life(it costs about a thousand dollars a year), you will have a hard time finding friends.

The final thing that has lead to me considering transferring is the administration. Every single decision that they make is consistent with making a little bit of money in the short run, but losing a ton of money in the long run. If the board of trustees does not immediately remove this administration and admissions office GW won't be a reputable institution in 15 years or so. They use the tuition money extremely responsibly. They have spent an insane amount of money on building new dorms and have decided to force students to live on campus for 3 years when it used to be 2. They seem to do everything they can to avoid spending any money on their actual academic programs. They squeeze every dollar they can out of the students which leads to extremely low student satisfaction rate, which explains the absurdly small amount of alumni donations they receive every year. This is an administration that could not care less about the happiness or success of their students. They don't care what jobs you get out of college the only jobs that they care about are their own.Everybody warned me of all the things above, and I thought that they were just exaggerated stereotypes, but believe me everything that I have said is entirely true and you will see that many students will agree with me. Overall, I would strongly advise anybody from coming to this joke of an institution and to use your money on better things.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: F
School pretty much costs 60k a year.Not so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
School pretty much costs 60k a year. You spend about $25 a day on food. I have not met a single person that went to a public school. A lot of Range Rovers, BMWs, and Mercedes. Quite a few male students wear ties and blazers/ or tweed sports jackets to class. A lot of students take their work seriously. The B-School is challenging.
1st Year Male -- Class 2012