StudentsReview :: George Washington University - Comments and Student Experiences

George Washington University

I met some of the smartest, most motivatedQuite BrightPsychology
I met some of the smartest, most motivated people (all who knew how to have a good time) while I was at GW. When I searched for colleges I wanted a school where students "worked hard and played hard". GW lived up to that reputation and then some. All of my friends from GW have gone on to accomplish great things in their careers. Out of the group of 8 girls that I would still consider my closest friends from GW, 6 of us have higher level degrees. From the other 2, 1 owns her own very successful company, and the other has a big position in the political world.

We had a great time while in school (maybe too much fun). As long as you keep smart about your decisions, anyone can have a blast while at GW, but still be successful!

I am not someone that has been handed life on a silver platter. I have had to work hard for all that I have right now. I worked 2 jobs throughout college so I could live the life I wanted to at GW. I would not change any of those experiences because it is shaped me into who I am today.

If you are looking for a school where are can wear pj's to class, GW is not the place for you (I learned that the hard way during my 1st 8am class). People will stare. Many people there come from great wealth, but such is life. This is a private school folks. And you know, I thank those people that can afford the most expensive shoes, bags, and cars because they helped to pay for my education. There were times I felt that my things did not measure up to others, but that was pressure I put onto myself. It was not because others made me feel that way. There are so many different type of people at GW. Yes, many are from the NE but you will find the same thing at most private schools in the NE. I am proud of my GW education. I could have gone to many other schools, but the experiences I had while at GW are irreplaceable.

more→Jan 08 2009
Starting Job: Counselor; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+
Quite BrightElectrical Engineering
It is possible to survive a class and not learn anything. You will not always get the grade you deserve.
more→Apr 10 2012
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A+, Innovation: F
Don't. Here are some of the reasons why.Quite BrightBiology
Don't. Here are some of the reasons why.
The school sends out random bills just to leech extra cash off of the students. At the end of my sophomore year, nearly every one of the students received a "broom-clean" fee of $250 dollars. Most of the kids are rich enough not to care about it and just pay for it. Well played GW.

The majority of the students are rich and snobby, and get drunk every weekend to throw their money around. I found a fully functional iPad in the trashcan at the end of the year once. Apparently these kids think Apple products are one-time use.

There's no campus. This means politicians and the homeless walk among the students around the campus. Not a great school environment.

The weather sucks. Bipolar as fuck. The occasional snow days do NOT make up for this.
Mascot is a dead white guy. Don't even mention the hippo.
No football team.
No school spirit. Depressed faces of students everywhere when I walk to classes. Low student satisfaction in general (several student suicides happen every year but the school gets a hold of the stories and doesn't let it spread too far).

Most of the school funding goes to the politics/business majors. Most science classes have no windows and are not the kind of environment for learning. The labs are old and stanky.

Our "renovated" library is still the shittiest library out of all the colleges I've ever visited.
Tuition is 50,000 dollars per year. Unless you got a handsome scholarship, you will have a hefty debt by the end of your four years.

The tap water is TERRIBLE. 80% chlorine, 20% H2O. My brita filter helped, but not enough. You are forced to buy those fucking expensive, huge bottles of evian water. The school "cafeteria" actually charges you THIRTY FIVE FUCKING CENTS for a cup of water.

Their idea of a cafeteria is random businesses placed inside a building, where they sell over-priced food. There is no sign of effort to help the poor college students get some food without breaking their banks.

Unmotivated, shitty teachers. Learned next to nothing during my four years here
There are some obese, butch-ass looking girls here. I guess their solution to a husband is their wallets that are fat as their waists.

The guys, unfortunately for me, are really fucking good looking. However, most of the good looking guys like to put it in the pooper, if you know what I mean.

Everything is FUCKING EXPENSIVE. Food is expensive and shitty
The school lies about their statistics. US News busted GWU and we are now unranked. We used to be like #51 in the nation. LOL?

And then these are some of the personal reasons why I hated this school.
My pitiful life at this school has made me so jaded that I developed several mental diseases -- including but not limited to depression, anxiety, social phobia, insomnia, ADHD, and various addictions.

When I developed some unknown disease from malnutrition, the school hospital decided it'd be a good idea to keep me there for 5 days and not do anything about my sickness. Didn't even figure out what was wrong with me. After that gave me a handsome bill of 20 thousand dollars.

The school counseling center hires grad students because they want to save money. They fake caring about you and then ultimately asks if I want to kill myself -- cuz then, that would give the school a bad name. What a fucking joke.

Every California friend I had at GW either dropped out or transferred to another school. I was the dumb idiot who decided to stick through 4 years. Good fucking riddance.tl;dr - Don't fucking come to this school. I don't want ANYONE to go through what I did. If you're rich and okay with all of the above, go right on ahead.

more→Jun 06 2014