StudentsReview :: Howard University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hampton University -- Hampton, VA

Howard University

Howard University is the

Jul 23 2014Perfomance Arts
Howard University is the mecca. It houses the greatest minds of the modern world. Plus it creates the most scholars who change the world for the better.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+,

If you are thinking about enrolling in Howard

Jun 25 2014Nursing
If you are thinking about enrolling in Howard University's nursing program please do yourself a huge favor and think twice before doing so. The majority of the staff is poorly trained to match the low quality of the program. There is little communication between the faculty and staff and everything is unorganized. Despite the high tuition payed by students there is not a/c in all of the class rooms and i personally had my classroom changed 3 times do to mold and asbestos. I cannot begin to describe all of the problems some of which include hidden fees, a lack of lab for science courses despite paying a lab fee, and the inability to transfer courses from any other school to the university.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

I find that people either love Howard or

Apr 14 2014Public Health
I find that people either love Howard or hate it. Rarely any in between. What are you looking for as a student? What are you expectations? If you are the big man or most popular woman in high school, chances are you won't hold that title at Howard. Are you looking for a place where Black people are all accepting? If that's the case, don't go to Howard or any HBCU. We don't all think alike. We don't all have the same beliefs. The Black experience is not monolithic. Black people across the diaspora are the same yet we are different. You will find some Black people that are accepting of gay and transgender students, you will find some who are not. You will find some that look down on poor people, you will find some that do not. You will find some students that will not step out of the dorm without a full face of makeup or without being dressed to the nines, you will find some people that go to class in pajamas.

Some of my classes were challenging. Some were not. BUT I can say that I learned something in every single class.

You have DC and some very connected professors at your doorstep. USE THEM! I did not. I was very to myself. That is the one thing I regret. A good majority of my classmates are movers and shakers. Often, when I see a Black person making moves, they are affiliated with Howard in some way. I went to a PWI after Howard and it's funny because people think PWI's are so much better. I'd rather deal with the messed up paperwork in the administration building, than my classmates thinking I got in via Affirmative Action and my teachers barely knowing I exist.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011