StudentsReview ™ :: Howard University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hampton University -- Hampton, VA

Howard University

I find that people either love Howard or

Apr 14 2014Public Health
I find that people either love Howard or hate it. Rarely any in between. What are you looking for as a student? What are you expectations? If you are the big man or most popular woman in high school, chances are you won't hold that title at Howard. Are you looking for a place where Black people are all accepting? If that's the case, don't go to Howard or any HBCU. We don't all think alike. We don't all have the same beliefs. The Black experience is not monolithic. Black people across the diaspora are the same yet we are different. You will find some Black people that are accepting of gay and transgender students, you will find some who are not. You will find some that look down on poor people, you will find some that do not. You will find some students that will not step out of the dorm without a full face of makeup or without being dressed to the nines, you will find some people that go to class in pajamas.

Some of my classes were challenging. Some were not. BUT I can say that I learned something in every single class.

You have DC and some very connected professors at your doorstep. USE THEM! I did not. I was very to myself. That is the one thing I regret. A good majority of my classmates are movers and shakers. Often, when I see a Black person making moves, they are affiliated with Howard in some way. I went to a PWI after Howard and it's funny because people think PWI's are so much better. I'd rather deal with the messed up paperwork in the administration building, than my classmates thinking I got in via Affirmative Action and my teachers barely knowing I exist.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

There are certainly some positive things about Howard,

Mar 20 2014Political Science
There are certainly some positive things about Howard, but as a University it is horrible. Counselors are hard to reach, rude, and unhelpful. Finances are horribly mismanaged, the buildings are falling down and filthy, internet is spotty, printers don't work, etc. Graduating from Howard is an accomplishment because the University is so terribly inefficient that most administrative officials are a hindrance rather than a help. I would not advice anyone attend this place.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: B+, Education Quality: F

I've been in love

Mar 10 2014Social Work
I've been in love with HU since 8th grade. I am now a senior in high school, anticipating my acceptance package. I also visited the campus my sophomore year in high school. It is absolutely perfect for me.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018