StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Delaware - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Maryland College Park -- College Park, MD
University of Maryland Baltimore -- Baltimore, MD

The University of Delaware

Be aware that not everyone here is here

Dec 05 2013Math
Be aware that not everyone here is here because they wanted to come here. I honestly couldn't even tell you why I came here -- I got into much better schools than this, but then again I received a large scholarship to come here. The people are not enthused at all to go here. Not a lot of school spirit, which I found to be quite surprising. Most people came to this school because they couldn't get into their reach schools.

As for the social life, freshman year be prepared to spend a lot of time in sweaty basement parties. After fraternity rush is over, don't expect to get into many parties unless you join a fraternity. I did an the Greek life really isn't that great here. A lot of juvenile thinking amongst fraternity and sorority members, with everyone overly concerned on what "tier" they fall in. The school is also actively trying to destroy Greek life, which really doesn't help at all. If you're not in a fraternity and haven't joined some sort of club sports team then you can expect your weekends to be limited to your dorm room quite often. Until you get your own house or turn 21, that is. From what I hear the bars here are really fun, but it's impossible to get in with a fake ID, so most underclassmen stick to herding themselves into a basement until 2:00 in the morning playing rave music and drinking Natty.

As for the academics, I expected much better. I expect university professors to at least be knowledgable about the subject they are teaching, but many times during lectures I find the professors going through a whole entire problem only to get to the end and realize that they have done the entire thing wrong.That being said, even in some of my smaller classes where there are only 25 people, the professors are not very helpful and do not make it easy for students to reach out to them. If you're in a large lecture, you're done for. Don't expect many professors to be very helpful. TA's teach a lot of the classes here, they aren't helpful either. People don't really care about their classes either. There is a lot of cheating and people try to act like they're cool by not trying hard in a class. I feel like I'm in middle school all over again.Thoroughly disappointed in this school. I expect much more from any institution for higher learning, and the fact that there are so many schools out there that are just as bad or worse than here fills me with a sense of dread. If we consider these college "educated" people to be smart, then God help us all, because we as a society are doomed.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

As a first-semester freshman, I know that my

Nov 13 2013Political Science
As a first-semester freshman, I know that my experience here is INCREDIBLY limited. That being said however, I can truthfully say I have not had a single enjoyable experience here since I arrived at the end of August. And lord knows I've tried. The extra-circulars I have attended have been nothing but awful. Either full of disinterested people who just use the organization as an excuse to plan their next drinking session, or a bunch of fanatics who make anyone that is not as obsessed as they are feel like a total outsider. The classes are not terrible, but I can't say I've learned anything of any value. Certainly nothing worth bragging about. I honestly cannot wait until this year is over and I never have to step foot on this campus ever again.BUT. I can also truthfully say that I am one of the few people who seem to feel this way. I'm not sure why, but it seems as though a majority of my Freshman counterparts are really enjoying their first year. Granted, a lot of these people are heavy drinkers unlike myself, and I wouldn't doubt that has something to do with it. I never was SUPER drawn to this school, but It looked good on paper and was a league or so above my other options. I would certainly think strongly about coming here, but if you really see yourself as a good fit here, I would consider it because you probably shouldn't base your entire opinion on that of ONE disgruntled first semester freshman.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F

U of DE is expensive for the poor

Oct 24 2013Nursing
U of DE is expensive for the poor quality professors offered. Several were disorganized which makes it very difficult to learn. Two could not spell. One out of six was wonderful and helpful. Others were not willing to put any effort into teaching. Some were not able to explain material in a way a student could understand. Just reading from a book was how it seemed to me. Very little support for the student. Not worth the money.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014