StudentsReview :: The University of Delaware - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Maryland College Park -- College Park, MD
University of Maryland Baltimore -- Baltimore, MD

The University of Delaware

UD is a great school academically but sociallyBrightPublic Policy
UD is a great school academically but socially if you are not an upper middle class attractive person from wealthy east coast city suburbs that is interested in Greek life, it is very hard to find a place to fit in. Personally being from the Midwest, people here are much more standoffish and self centered than I am used to. Everyone is the same and wants to do the same thing. If you like going to bars/clubs or if you aren't involved in Greek life nightlife is very dull and it is hard to find people like you. It is nice that we are near so many cities, but besides places to eat and suburban neighborhoods Newark is lacking in cultural and social establishments. Overall I love the school, but the atmosphere really gets me down sometimes, and I wish there was more diversity.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C+
Overall, the university has some good and badQuite BrightBiology
Overall, the university has some good and bad points.
The good things would be the quality of education I have received in the courses I have taken. I started out as a biochemistry major, but switched to biology. The professors I had were knowledgeable and most seemed to want to help you and were very helpful. There were/are many opportunities to receive help, such as help sessions and group tutoring. The professors look forward to students attending office hours. I feel like the classes that matter (science and major courses) are challenging and insightful and the elective courses are easy if you pick the right ones. The clubs and sports are a good way to spend some free time. Not all clubs are super active, so don't get your hopes up during activities night about some of them. If you are a part of club sports, its like a cult, but not really in a bad way as long as you like to party a little. Frats and sororities are the same, but you have to be into that type of thing. The academic frats are not as party heavy, but still do have that element. During the weekends, the university started a new program to keep students from drinking. They have special events or performers every Friday and Saturday. The town of Newark has some neat restaurants, but not much else to do until you are of legal drinking age or have a mode of transportation.

With the good, there is also the bad. The actual life outside of the classroom is rather terrible. I lived on campus my first semester and it was absolutely horrible. I would find vomit in the bathroom about three times a week and would be kept up till at least two in the morning. Many students would go to frat houses during the week to get trashed because they couldn't go to bars. The halls and study spaces in the dorms were always disgusting. The students were all rich, white kids, or just rich kids in general, that did not know how to act as human beings. I moved off my second semester because it was impossible to live in that environment, but I was still stuck paying for the dorm even though I do not live there. The worst of them all was the honors program. DO NOT APPLY TO THE HONORS PROGRAM!! All it is basically is a bunch of of extra work and a bunch of hoops to jump through just to have your GPA come to a 3.399 and it was all a waste; no honors degree for you. Not to mention the honors program staff are extremely rude and encourage you to drop the program every time you speak with them. I would also not recommend this college for a degree that may not have a career with a high income associated. The out of state cost is ridiculous. If I did not receive financial aid and the scholarships, I would not be going here. If you are a rich kid who likes to party and is into science, such as chemistry or biology, University of Delaware is absolutely perfect for you. If not, you may have a tough time, but it's not absolutely horrible. The main reason you are going to college is to get a degree, and I believe you would be satisfied with the professors at the University of Delaware. I have personally considered transferring multiple times, but I decided to see how my sophomore year goes. As long as the education is still of good quality, I will stay.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: F
I had terrible luck and wound up withQuite BrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I had terrible luck and wound up with bad profs for almost every class i took, but you cant expect much else because freshman get such low priority. there are a lot of underachievers at this school... freshman dorms SUCK. at other schools the dorms are larger and have less people AND if you are in a forced triple they compensate you, not at UD. the party life is very good if you like frat parties but there is almost nothing else. the girls are really attractive. biggest problem is that there are too few minorities... coming from a white guy. its about 75% white. if you're interested in physical therapy the STAR campus is the premier facility in the nation and UD's pt grad school is phenomenal, however, almost none of the undergrads at UD are accepted into their grad program because it is so selective and so prestigious. in other words i would advise against it. after one year, i am transferring because it is not the right fit for me.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019