StudentsReview :: The University of Delaware - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Maryland College Park -- College Park, MD
University of Maryland Baltimore -- Baltimore, MD

The University of Delaware

After spending 4 years here, I can confirmQuite BrightPolitical Science
After spending 4 years here, I can confirm that this experience has been more negative than positive. Starting off with the pros, I have enjoyed most of my professors here and found many of the classes to be intellectually stimulating. The majority of the faculty hold PHD's and are extremely knowledgeable on their subject matter. The housing for freshman is really nice and there are many great places to live off campus. There is also a lot to do in Newark, many places to eat, lots of bars, and many different organisations to get involved in. However, there are way too many cons that should make bright/motivated students avoid this school like the plague. Academically, the career centre and advisement (especially for poli-sci students) is a joke. My advisor suddenly vanished my 2nd semester of my freshman year and I was on my own to figure out my classes. You're also on your own to find a job, if you're not attending law school which is a portion of the class. As for the social aspects, do not attend this school if your not someone who wants to be in Greek life. You will feel isolated and many people, whom you could see yourself being friends with, will not interact with you from the start if you're not planning on being in a fraternity/sorority. These people will act above you 99% of the time for no good apparent reason if you're not into the party scene. The bars are a lot of fun, but you have to wait until your 21 to be a part of it. Also, expect to still be surrounded by fraternity guys/sorority girls who act like they 16 at grottos or townies who give you the creeps at Kates/Rooneys/Deer Park. All in all, this student body has a terrible attitude towards one another. Many lack a basic understanding of manners, like please and thank you when holding the door for one another. I would blame the majority of the schools problems on Greek life. Guys strive to be d-bags here and girls strive to be catty. It is a really strange environment, which also includes odd townies which makes Newark pretty dangerous. But if you like partying and are not extremely academically motivated, this school could be the right place for you. Filled with average people who act like they are doing way above average things. In reality, they're just getting drunk and going to "dages"/"grottos"/frat parties.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: D
I was extremely hesitant coming to UD.Quite BrightAccounting
I was extremely hesitant coming to UD. Financially, it was my best option but definitely not my first choice. However, it has absolutely been the best decision and I would without a doubt choose Delaware a million times more. Not only have I met some of the most genuine, incredible, and motivated people here, I have also been fortunate enough to have some of the best professors who sincerely care about me and my time at UD.

Is there a drinking culture here? Sure, but I hate to be the one to break the news that most universities have alcohol/drug problems. Our campus may not be 100% safe all the time, but to think that any college campus, actually anywhere in general, is 100% safe is ridiculous. Campus Safety does their best and we have no more security issues than any other university in the country.

I truly do believe that anyone and everyone can find their place at UD. Greek life here is not as prevalent as you might think it is. It certainly can be your whole world if you want it to, but it's much more relaxed than at other schools and most Greeks are heavily involved in other clubs/organizations. Diversity is certainly not lacking in the slightest and students at Delaware come from all different backgrounds. Delaware has so many opportunities to get involved and succeed academically. I consider this school the hidden gem of the east coast because it truly is one of the best. I absolutely cannot put my love for this school into words so the only way to see how great it really is is to see for yourself!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B-
UD is a great school academically but sociallyBrightPublic Policy
UD is a great school academically but socially if you are not an upper middle class attractive person from wealthy east coast city suburbs that is interested in Greek life, it is very hard to find a place to fit in. Personally being from the Midwest, people here are much more standoffish and self centered than I am used to. Everyone is the same and wants to do the same thing. If you like going to bars/clubs or if you aren't involved in Greek life nightlife is very dull and it is hard to find people like you. It is nice that we are near so many cities, but besides places to eat and suburban neighborhoods Newark is lacking in cultural and social establishments. Overall I love the school, but the atmosphere really gets me down sometimes, and I wish there was more diversity.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019