StudentsReview :: The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale - Comments and Student Experiences

Academy of Art College -- San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Art Institute -- San Francisco, CA
Art Center College of Design -- Pasadena, CA

The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale

I have been greatly disappointed with the quality

Jul 16 2014Interior Design
I have been greatly disappointed with the quality of the professors, curriculum and campus of The Art Institute. For the price of the school, it has definatley not been worth it financially. Iam only staying because I have no other school option that offers a bachelors in interior design in my area. I can't wait to be over with this school who has put their students as last priority.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F

I have been attending this school for over

May 07 2014Interior Design
I have been attending this school for over two years now, and if I didn't just want to get a degree I would have quit. The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale is such a rip off. The tuition is very expensive and the level of education is horrible. Classes are not offered at convenient times, so the adviser's just put you in classes regardless of if you are prepared for the course or not. The equipment does not work. The computers are always broken along with at least half of the old drafting desks. The classes and teachers are so inconsistent. Most of the teachers were laid off because they were full time employees collecting benefits and the school did not want to pay that much anymore so they hired all adjunct professors who don't know what they are teaching. You learn one thing in one class and then completely different in another class. This school cares more about a profit than actually teaching their students. That is why they are condensing everything into one building in the middle of the quarter. Parking is a joke! Most of what I have learned was from google.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: B, Education Quality: F

The dorms as of now are terrible

Mar 10 2014Other
The dorms as of now are terrible. Mold from water continuously flooding my small dorm room's bathroom is growing in the ceiling and tiles. I was taking a shower on day when someone from above had started their shower and it dumped from the ceiling onto me. Some of the dorms are really tiny. It was an old hotel building in the day. They are now moving the dorms to Davie however. Meanwhile giant flying American Roaches and palmetto bugs also infest this dorm area now. Also raccoon from trash left out and overflowing the 2 dumpsters. The walls "sweat" if you don't have air colder than 65 degrees blowing at all times. They staff can be rude... if they even come when you need them. Many times I needed to see Taryn and she wasn't in her office all day or sometimes she'd be on vacations. She lives in the dorms with us. Taryn and Larry often tell you different things about the same subject. Once my roommate had bedbugs and they moved my roommate out but left me in for another two days. There was a fight once when someone wanted to stab another student during a fight. I have seen people hawk snot off the 2nd and 3rd floors and it almost hit me as I walk. The school itself has ripped me off more money than humanly possible. They gave me the wrong kit (had stuff for interior design and I was at the time in Fashion) and when a teacher said I could return it and several classmates did, I was told I couldn't. $600 down the toilet. They are rude to you in financial aid and talk to you like you are stupid. Told me one thing and my parent a different thing. Also don't bother complaining to Kathy Deaner of Student Affairs... she blamed me for a problem that their office messed up and screamed over the phone at me because I said it seemed like all everyone does in the office is play phone tag. They never seem there at the moment I call but if in a class they are there. They called me in the middle of a 6pm class to tell me my class for tomorrow is no longer at 1pm but now 9am. I missed part of lecture or that. Teachers have embarrassed me in front of other students for not knowing where to go for fabric and not having enough money for supplies. The BIG thing is they gave out some of my personal information, including who I signed a FERPA for to someone who I had NOT signed a FERPA to left as a contact. This person was not a parent, and they gave the wrong info out anyway!! All together this long list is actually quite short compared to what is all wrong with AiFL.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014