StudentsReview :: Advanced Technology Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

Advanced Technology Institute

This school has left me with a badAverageAnthropology
This school has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I have found the professors to be arrogant, unhelpful, and subpar in their teaching skills. Professor Broadfield (Anthropology dept)is the one exception, as he is very interesting, intelligent, friendly and exceptionally knowledgeable in his field of expertise.

Ahh, the students...some are friendly, yet the majority are closed-minded, have never travelled, are superficial. I have found most people in Boca Raton to not only be arrogant, yet the friendly ones have a superficiality about them, where I feel the friendly exterior is a complete facade, and that most of them are truly not sincere. They're phony, in other words. There's an actual undercurrent of unfriendliness about the people here.

This city has a surprising amount of greenery and is well manicured in generel. A lot of beautiful birds, iguanas, turtles, flowers, a variety of trees. But the people here are not environmentally aware nor environmentally friendly at all. This is not a city that caters to pedestrians, dogs, bikes. It is a lot more concrete than that, literally.

Traffic...oye..When I first moved here last July, it seemed fine. Then came the snowbirds, and the students, and traffic is jam packed, noisy, reckless, and stressful. Not as bad as Miami, but not good, either. You will never hear silence in this city, nor experience truly fresh air and the serenity of nature here.

Weather...often windy, a few days in winter that are actually chilly, yet summers are the real killer. Expect to spend most of your time in air conditioning indoors. Which is worse, a harsh freezing winter or a harsh suffocating and scorching summer? Both are extremes and tough to take if you are an outdoor gal like me.

Okay, crime and safety...
On first appearances, you would think this is a safe city and a safe campus. The manicured lawns, the flowers and landscaping, the money...but do not kid yourself. There is enough influx of Haitians, Jamaicans and illegals, not to mention sexual predators, that you had better be safety minded and watch your back, particularly if you are a female. In 2000 there were over 9 active gangs here, according to police. I had a frightening experience with a sexual predator while here, and I carry pepper spray with me when walking my dog, I watch my back and am aware of my surroundings at all times, and I do not walk alone after dark. I have my keys ready when walking to my car, I do not daudle once in my car, and I keep car doors locked while driving. Be aware that there truly are all kinds of people here, even though a lot of them have money and are well to do, and even though the city looks well kept, things are not as safe as they initially appear here.

Regarding the safety of walking your dog...I am aware of a dog park here which people have told me about, however I do not take my dog there. There have been 4 dog attacks in the past month here. One incident involved a mastiff/pit who tore away from his person and in his effort to attack a small poodle, ended up mauling 4 people. The other cases are of people's dogs who were attacked by other loose dogs. There are a lot of "bully breeds" here, including pitbulls and pit mixes, mastiffs, boxers, rotties, etc...the problem is that the wrong kind of people keep these dogs, and thus these dogs are often loose and unsocialized, unneuterred, and trained wrongly to be "tough". Because it is windy here, I now usually carry my pepper spray and my stun baton when walking my dog.

Check out the crime stats for FAU campus in Boca Raton...more cases of sexual assault, rape, auto theft, burglaries, drug and alcohol offenses, etc than even in Fort Lauderdale or Miami! This is on campus I'm talking about. 2 girls were assaulted by a Hispanic man next to the library a few weeks ago, and an alert was sent out regarding his height, weight, clothing, etc. This isn't the first time, either.The good? Okay, let me try to say something good about the school and city. I have actually learned some interesting things and the Anthropology courses I have taken have broadened my mind and given me a new perspective in some instances. There is a Whole Foods store here that is very good, if you have the money to shell out. Oh, one more thing...The cost of apartments here is obscene for dumpy moldy, tiny, aweful, apartments advertised as "resort style" and given fancy names such as "Palms of Boca Del Mar". Grocery is outrageous as well. So think twice if you have the opportunity to attend elsewhere. I made a mistake in coming here and am transferring out of state again in a few months.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2010