StudentsReview :: Florida Atlantic University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL

Florida Atlantic University

Do not go here,Quite BrightComputer Engineering
Do not go here, this school sucks and believe me it's a waste of time. Sure thy are a university but it's better to go to UF, FSU, or even iCF.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
FAU was my choice because of location, IBrightAccounting
FAU was my choice because of location, I did not have the option to move near my desired school. People are mostly nice and they do the best to keep the campus clean. There are a lot of raccoons around. Admissions and Registrars office are great and get things done quickly. I have had some faculty in the Accounting department make students feel "not smart enough" to progress or achieve other goals (i.e. Masters, or MBA degrees). If you are a night only student there is not much when it comes to student life. Most night students are not even made aware of the activities on campus (i.e. Homecoming, games, special events, and concerts). Most professors use Publisher textbooks and use Connect or MyLab for homework. Depending on the class there may be a larger paper but nothing very demanding. Most professors let students out early when they are night students. As much as students like to leave early the material is not addressed as in much detail so students are required to study even more to achieve their grades. It is common to get a professor that is difficult to understand when they lecture. They are usually the most challenging. Safety is addressed when you have orientation because it is an issue on the campus. Since I have attending 2 years ago, since I was a transfer student, 2 people have been killed in the surrounding areas; at the PBSC Boca Campus and at the close by apartments many FAU students live at to avoid living on campus. Overall this was not a horrible choice for the price and for a public university.
4th Year Male -- Class 2017
University Resource Use/ spending: B+, Social Life: D
I finished my BA in one year havingQuite BrightPsychology
I finished my BA in one year having transferred from BC with my AA. I have a 3.75 GPA and am graduating with honors. I also worked full time while earning my degree and taking 5-6 classes each semester for a year. That being said, this is not a school that will educate you, in fact they do everything in their power to NOT educate you but rather test your memorization skills.

There is one professor within the Psychology department who teaches the majority of the classes, the remaining classes (not many) are primarily taught by PhD students. The TA's are trained to not answer any questions whatsoever but to only grade papers. If you have any questions pertaining to learning the professors will redirect you to your book? In fact, they almost treat you with suspicion. The entire experience I have had here has been bizarre and depressing. There is only one professor who is knowledgable and enthusiastic about his job and unsurprisingly he is not an academic but rather a clinical psychologist.

I have chosen to pursue a career in Law rather than Psychology as it is plagued with politics at the academic/research level and for that degree of adversity, I would prefer to be an attorney ( and actually make money). I would highly recommend anyone who is remotely bright to consider going to a different university. Luckily, my college is paid for but it's truly a disgrace that many students go into such debt for such a subpar education and to then be treated with such indifference from a miserable and inept staff?. it's just pathetic.

I have met a few bright students who share my sentiments and have chosen NOT to pursue higher education within FAU for the same reasons I have listed. I would have to say that I agree with the commenter who said this is a glorified community college. I have not learned anything that I didn't know previously from my AA in regard to the field of psychology and if this is your major, be prepared to be "taught" the same material in every single class regardless of the class name. It's the same crap about Freud, Maslow, Horney, Piaget and Adler from your general psychology intro class recycled into your BA? over and over again... and none of the professors update their curriculum so if you have a friend who took their class, yes, their notes are verbatim to that professors test. This university is an exercise in patience and my best advice is to load up on classes and try to get it all over with, within one year, if you can!

Compare FAUSave FAU