StudentsReview :: Florida Atlantic University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 9
Males 9
Avg years at University 2.7
Research Quality B (6.7)
Research Availability C+ (5.8)
Research Funding B- (5.9)
Graduate Politics B- (6.0)
Not Errand Runners C+ (5.5)
Degree Completion B- (6.3)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (8.0)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.3)
Competitiveness B (6.9)
Education Quality C+ (5.2)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.2)
Useful Research C (4.9)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.5)
Friendliness B (6.5)
Safety B (6.8)
Campus Beauty B (7.2)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.2)
University Spending C+ (5.4)
Extracurriculars B- (6.1)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.1)
Surrounding City B (6.9)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.2)
Useful ResearchC
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]B+
I would not suggest attending this University unlessApr 21 2017Geography and Geosciences
I would not suggest attending this University unless there are no other options. The standard of living is 2x of TA bi-weekly stipend (unless you live with 3 other roommates). I was without funding my first semester and I ended up finding TAship in another department.

A lot of students commute to school, therefore, the parking permit fees are outrageous! The fees increase every year. There are only 3 parking garages and they are 98% full by 11am. Uncovered parking lots are usually 100% full by 12pm and students end up driving around for 20 minutes to find a parking spot, but some aren't so lucky.

Research is alright, it really depends on the advisor/faculty memebers. My advisor was understanding and helpful but I know other graduate students have an opposite experience where their advisors were lazy and unresponsive, which caused a delay in graduation and publications. The quality of education really depends on individual faculty. My organic chem 2 instructor mumbled a lot and was always seen on the campus bar before lecture started. On the other hand, some faculty really care about students' education and they tend to be more strict, yet fair. A lot of undergraduate student's complain about how strict some faculty are, which can be unfair to the faculty because then faculty have to juggle between quality education versus just passing students.

Nov 28 2015Social Work
They teach to the test so they look good. They have absolutely no idea how to actually "Educate' people
The worst university everOct 08 2014Biology
The worst university ever. Ever since your first moment there, you just feel the negativity and the staff hostility in the air around you. People are so rude, and that includes professors as well(!). I was an international grad student there, had to leave the program. The staff, from the secretaries to the chairs of the departments, are extremely unprofessional, rude, racist and non-supportive. It's not the ideal atmosphere someone needs to learn and grow, instead you'll find yourself wasting your whole time trying to navigate your way through all the politics and the hurdles that people (the same people who should support you or, at least, leave you the hell alone) throw in your way. Add to all that the poor quality of education, the miserable research and the scarce funding (during the time I spent there, the university admin had to cut research funding short for some professors, meaning that they had to prematurely amputate their projects!), and you'll reach the right conclusion: FAU= Find. Another. University.
It is a great university, very diverse andJul 21 2014Education
It is a great university, very diverse and open to tolerance and multiculturalism, the city (Boca Raton) is just amazing (expensive though...) if you are thinking to pursue a Ph.D. related to Higher Education, this is for sure one you must consider, lot of faculty within the department is excellent and possesses a bunch of experience in the field!
It is impossible to get an answer outJul 18 2012Physics
It is impossible to get an answer out of most of the faculty here. Throughout the application process, I was essentially on my own. Can't even get through to the office assistant! In the few instances that I have gotten a response, the answer was unhelpful, and almost like "why are you bothering me?" in nature. I've NEVER had another school treat me as rudely as at this school. My current university (I have a masters and was applying for another), as well as the other graduate schools I applied to were all friendly, helpful, and informative.
I had a professorMay 05 2012Accounting
I had a professor call me an anti-semitic name and I tried to withdraw from the course but was not allowed to do so. The response was that because I "was one of them", I couldn't speak rationally about the topic we were discussing and the professor was only joking.
Sep 30 2010Biology
Awesome school! Go Owls!
Apr 05 2010Geography and Geosciences
STAY AWAY!!!! no funding, no help, no research, basiclly unless u wanna do GIS theres nothing here!!!
If you are going to attend this schoolDec 03 2009Accounting
If you are going to attend this school (online only) for a Masters in Forensic Accounting be prepared for the professors to not return your emails, phone calls or even grade in a timely fashion. There was only one week left of the semester in one of my courses and I still hadn't received feedback on papers that I submitted in week 8. Just be prepared to be extremely frustrated and know that no matter what you say, there will be nothing done about it.
The department keeps students from finishing their degreeOct 09 2008Psychology
The department keeps students from finishing their degree and change their minds frequently on the reason the student can't graduate. The University is not helpful and always backs the department without even meeting with the students. In addition to not being reliable, the University has had several rapes that have occurred. One was even swept under the rug for 2 weeks by the school. If you want a place where you can get a quality education and feel safe, please Find Another University!
Overall worst staff evrAug 14 2008Computer Science
Overall worst staff evr...couple of professors are average at classes others are useless...most of the professors are more in internal politics rather in education...even the student support staff is useless..they dont know a single thing..and they pretend that they know and then misguide us..i got lot of misguidance from this staff and had to go through lot because of that..just be aware if you are attending at fau...dont trust any of the staff..make sure to confirm with another person at same time..
Research Topic(s): nursing language
The professors expect very little of their studentsMar 21 2008Social Work
The professors expect very little of their students. Most of the professors are old and keep recycling their old curriculum. There's almost nothing fresh. This MSW program is barely mediocre. If you truly want to learn, go elsewhere. If you want to graduate with an A and don't care about learning, go to FAU.
May be it wasJun 14 2007Accounting
May be it was the program, I have a masters in Economics and one in Finance from a different university and I did not like the curriculum or the staff attitude
Sep 16 2005Other
If you have a choice find another school. The lack of funding and politics within this school is just bad. I am a graduate student in my last year and just want to finish what I started. Within my my major I have had only Teaching Assistants as instructors. This is because there is no funding for Fulltime instructors... Hence you will be pretty much self taught. If I can steer anyone from the frustration this school has caused me... maybe my student loan debt for this unsatisfactory education can be justified.
You get what youMar 09 2005Business - Management and Administration
You get what you put in! FAU can be a great school or a crappy degree, but it's what you make of it. I have had success through partnering with professors and working very hard. Social life leaves a little to be desired due to commuter atmosphere.
Florida Atlantic University is corrupt; last year theApr 14 2004Other
Florida Atlantic University is corrupt; last year the president and his wife, and a school VP were involved in a felony. This year the film program director is under investigation for misuse of $6 million that he used to travel worldwide and rent a yacht. The director of another graduate program has repeatedly sexually harassed a female student. A master's course was taught by a master's student which is a breach of all accreditation regulations. The school has demonstrated corruption, a lack of ethics, and failure to change. Run, don't walk, away from this school, and Find Another University. Take it from someone who has seen it all.
Nothing but good experiencesSep 09 2002Public Policy
Nothing but good experiences with faculty - the quality of teaching and research exceeded my expectations! Students are also given opportunities and support in publishing and conference participation. It has been challenging but very rewarding!
Compare FAUSave FAU