StudentsReview :: Florida Gulf Coast University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 6
Females 2
Males 4
Avg years at University 2.5
Research Quality D+ (2.8)
Research Availability D+ (3.0)
Research Funding D (2.2)
Graduate Politics D+ (3.4)
Not Errand Runners C- (4.0)
Degree Completion D+ (2.7)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (3.9)
Sufficient Pay D (2.4)
Competitiveness C- (4.2)
Education Quality C- (3.7)
Faculty Accessibility C- (3.9)
Useful Research D+ (2.8)
"Individual" treatment D+ (3.2)
Friendliness C- (4.1)
Safety C+ (5.3)
Campus Beauty C (4.4)
Campus Maintenance C+ (5.8)
University Spending C (4.3)
Extracurriculars D+ (3.4)
Scholastic Success C- (3.9)
Surrounding City C+ (5.4)
Social Life/ Environment C- (4.2)
Research FundingD
Campus MaintenanceC+
FGCU is a great education for the moneyJun 06 2011Business - Management and Administration
FGCU is a great education for the money. I know of current students and graduates from other MBA programs around the country, and it's good to see that my education at FGCU is either better or comparable. I'm pursuing my MBA online, and I had no issues with getting the classes I need (I have one more semester to register for...but I don't see why it would be any different of an experience than my previous 8 semesters). I will say that you have more courses to pick from and resources if you are on campus.FGCU is a young, growing university that has a great vibe on campus. For FL residents, the price can't be beat. Just be prepared for the small alumni base and trying to explain to countless people where and what FGCU is!
You cannot complete the on-line MBA on-lineFeb 22 2011Business - Management and Administration
You cannot complete the on-line MBA on-line. You find out the hard way that they do not offer the courses as you close in on finishing. If you decide to take a course elsehwhere and transfer it in, FGCU does not know how to help or assist in that. So, you are 90% done with a degree that you must go to campus to complete. For some, who enrolled on-line due to distance, that is an awful realization.
Sorry gang I had to do some editingMay 26 2009Business - Management and Administration
Sorry gang I had to do some editing on this one. Professor Sandra K is an arrogant, self absorbed, personality whose syllabus and classroom explanations of assignments have little or no parallels. Furthermore the criteria she uses for grading and specifications of assignments seems to be at best random and at worse the opposite of what she specifies in class and on the syllabus. She was extremely rude and impolite to me and shouted abusively at me when I came to see her about my final paper grade. This was very surprising especially in light of the fact that I did nothing but shower her with compliments and worked extremely hard in her class. What was even more shocking was that she forgot where and when we were supposed to meet and she refused to admit this when I finally tracked her down. One of the things that I found to be just disgusting about her was after losing her cool and yelling at some of her undergraduates for 80 minutes continuously she walked into class and expected us graduated students to be sympathetic to her viewpoint and console her. I was not too consoling because I suspected that she could easily turn on one of us and indeed she did. This hair trigger temper of hers is a real problem along with the way that she consistently mistreats her students. I would like to point out that while I am a particularly well connected young person at FGCU and all of my other professors think highly of my work ethic and scruples this did not deter Professor K from screaming at me for 18.5 minutes on the floor of Lutgert. We addressed my issues for 2.5 minutes and then parted company. I wouldn't suggest taking her class or going anywhere near her office when she has a student that she is working with if you value your own physical safety and the sanctity of your life.
Professor Sandra king kuoni is an arrogant, selfMay 23 2009Unknown
Professor Sandra king kuoni is an arrogant, self absorbed, personality whose syllabus and classroom explanation have little to do with each other. Furthermore her expectations for assignments do not parallel her discussion of them and her explanation in class. She was extremely rude and impolite to me and shouted abusively at me when I came to see her about my final paper grade. This was very surprising especially in light of the fact that I did nothing but shower her with compliments and worked extremely hard in her class. What was even more shocking was that she forgot where and when we were supposed to meet and she refused to admit this when I finally tracked her down. One of the things that I found to just disgusting about her was after losing her cool and yelling at some of her undergraduates for 80 minutes continuously she expected us to be sympathetic to her viewpoint.
Being in the working world with a family,Dec 31 2004Business - Management and Administration
Being in the working world with a family, mortgage, etc. I really had no other options regarding a school to pursue my MBA. Not only that but my employer has paid 100% of the cost - tuition, books, etc. Would I have gotten in and preferred to study at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg etc? Sure, but short of selling my house, uprooting my family and quitting my job it ain't happening. So this being said, FGCU suffices.

Not bragging, but having obtained my undergraduate and one other masters at top-rated, old, pretigious universities and beign admitted to Mensa at age 13, I find the academic climate at FGCU to be not exactly challenging. The classes, quality of students, and workload are not what I'm used to. But again, as I noted above - any ship in a storm.

Main issue with the MBA program at FGCU is that it focuses too much on the mechanics of business (accounting, finance, management, marketing, etc) and not enough (actually almost none) on the art of business (leadership, decision-making, public speaking, negotiation, business writing, etc). Unfortunately the art of business is what top executives really need to know. Of course you need to understand the mechanics but do I REALLY need two semesters of graduate-level statistics? I think a class in negotiation or business writing would be a better choice for the second semester.In the end, if you live in the area and have no other options available to you, then FGCU is just fine. However, I wouldn't move to Ft Myers to pursue my MBA at FGCU.

I was a part-time distance student working onNov 06 2004Public Policy
I was a part-time distance student working on an MPA at FGCU. I had a 3.8 GPA. Halfway through my Capstone (hopefully final) semester my Capstone Project Advisor decided he was a first reader and suggested I find another. I actually did find another professor to take over but the dean denied it. Three years and thousands of dollars down the tubes. Since then I have had my research published in a peer-reviewed journal. A 3.8 GPA, published research, but no degree.

I filed complaints with the University Ombudsman (he ignored my complaint and said the profs met their responsibilities), the Florida Dept of Education and Florida Commission on Ethics (both passed the buck) and the FGCU Board of Trustees (they ignored me).I found the faculty and administration of FGCU to be completely lacking in ethics and hope others will avoid this institution.

Research Topic(s): Public Forensic Laboratory Budget Issues