There's a small hidden gem at this school and it's a major called Aviation COmputer Science. Out of the eight semesters I've been here, I've never heard of anyone having this major, but FIT is only one of two schools in the nation to offer it.
I couldn't be more pleased with FIT in this aspect. I can't even begin to express how much opportunity my major has given me. Being one of the few positive ratings on here, I'm going to be very candid about both the good and the bad apart from my major.
- THE DORMS...honestly, some of the funnest moments of my life. Nearly everyone who attends FIT is from out of state, so it's so awesome that no one knows anyone when you first arrive. Apart from that, the social life in general in the dorms is just incredible...always somone to talk to/hang out with/drink with (if you're so inclined:)) Too bad it only lasted one year because it is more expensive than an apartment and I'm cheap:)
- Small campus...really is awesome. Unless you're a complete hermit, you always bump into people you know going to/from class, and everyone knows everyone else (good or bad depending on your social status I guess).
- College of Aero and Computer Science...my major puts me about 50/50 in each, both awesome departments full of great faculty. Beware however, I was Aero Engineering my first semester and it was a different world (pretty much the opposite).
- Student Support...In general, the school does a great job of making assistance available to students, everything from academic support to career fairs to networking opportunities, to the library to the...on and on. The resources are there, but you must go to them.
Organizations...there are plenty to get involved in, and FIT is so diverse that if there isn't one, you can create a club of your own and definately get some interest.
Surrounding area...this is one that is bound to get some flames, but I really don't think Melbourne is too bad. On top of this, Miami is 2.5 hours south, Orlando is 1.5 hours north, Tampa is 3 Hours west, and Jacksonvlle is 3 hours north. Plus FIT is right on the coast, and in FLORIDA, perfect to get a motorcycle and enjoy the sun and palms. Sure East University is nasty (I even lived there) but all towns have ghettos.
- The women...I am not saying this because I'm a bitter guy that hasn't got laid, I'm seriously saying that the girls that go to this school have problems: they are arrogant, mostly ugly, and assume every guy wants them. On top of being bi:)ches, most of them are nerdy, fat and won't even look at you as you walk by. 6 gf's before FIT, 0 since I've been here, you do the math.
- Campus life...it's really not that good. Frats are total BS unless you like hanging out with 20 dudes hitting on three women none of which will get laid anyway. Apart from this, my biggest beef is the lack of alchohol at any event, but this is more or less understandable, but it still puts a damper on wanting to go.
- Whiners...the irony right? seriously, school spirit is really just lost in the endless complaining by alot of the students, almost always related to cost. If you knew how much it was before hand and didn't like it, why are you here? why havn't you left?
- NERDS...I know it's a tech school and this is straight up whining:) but finding people who actually want to go out can be a challenge, and this just blows my mind being 5 minutes from the beach
- No football team...self explanatory, not really the schools fault, just unfortunate.