StudentsReview :: The Florida Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

California Institute of Technology -- Pasadena, CA
Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

The Florida Institute of Technology

This school I feel was a huge wasteQuite BrightComputer Engineering
This school I feel was a huge waste of money. The resources such as computers available, rude professors, tiny library, so-so food, boring campus life etc. do not reflect a campus that gets paid $19,000 tuition a yr times 2,500 students (thats $47 MILLION folks!, not even including dorms & alum donations). I have since transfered to a state university in south florida (I wont name it, I dont want to tell you where to go, thats your decision) and my tuition went from 19,000 to 3,000 and I love it. Our library is huge, helpful job placement, on campus concerts (with Ludacris, G Unit), and the ratio is good, not a total sausage fest like FIT. Melbourne is very pretty and has beautiful beaches, but it is just a retirement town, absolutely boring. If you are majoring in aviation then FIT is a good choice, one of the best in the country for it. But any other major seriously look into the other schools in FL. If you want to be close to the beach look into FAU in Boca Raton. If You want to be in a big city look at USF in Tampa, UCF in Orlando, or FIU in Miami. Bottom line, look elsewhere for a campus life or quality education, because after college you will realize it is priceless, not even $19,000 a year can buy it.
1st Year Male -- Class 2007
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
Ok, first let me say that while FloridaBrightOther
Ok, first let me say that while Florida Tech is a fairly decent school it is really expensive and they do not cater to the working adult. If you need to work and are an undergraduate and need to attend school full time to get financial aid forget about it, your are going to regret it. This school is very demanding academically and the Melbourne area is considered a low income town meaning getting a job can be hard if you even find one! The majority of the students here are in their teens and right out of high school. It feels like your back in a high school setting, it is that bad! This is not my first school either so I think I have a pretty good idea. Also I came to FIT to major in Aviation Management w/Flight meaning you get to work on your pilot ratings. To be honest with you its way expensive and you get charged twice! I'll explain...just like a flight school in an FBO you can pay as you go or set up an account, well on top of paying for your flight and instructor lessons. FIT charges you an additional $1190 for the class because since its a university setting and you got to pay for the credit hours. By the way that flight class is a 2 credit hour class. FIT charges $995 per credit hour! That's for instate tuition too! Most of the classes are 3 credit hours. FIT also charges you $80 for a parking permit that only allows you to park in one lot depending on what color code you have. If you want to park in any parking lot it will cost you a whooping $800!! You also pay to use the laundry room which again is more expense! FIT also has a grocery shop that charges double for everything, you might as well be staying at a resort. These are things I wish I knew or found when I did the research for FIT. The website won't tell you these things and neither will FIT when you do the school tour. Again, I think FIT is a good school for kids that have mom and dad to pay their way. If you are an adult who is paying for your own way, forget about it. There are schools that offer the same for less money. Another thing about FIT is that they want their money right away! Miss a payment and you are gone! By the second month into school I can't tell you how many people left this school. FIT has a for profit feel to it!! I'm not saying they are, but by the way they are when it comes to money they might as well be creditors! If your looking at FIT because you want to fly. I would look at other options like your local FBO's. There are also universities and community colleges that offer great flying programs with degrees in avaiton. I'm taking that route and can't tell you how relieved I am that I'm gettin out of FIT by the end of this semester! Good luck!
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: B, Education Quality: F
I have honestly had a great experience soBrightAccounting
I have honestly had a great experience so far at Florida Tech. I am doing their undergraduate online Accounting program. The classes have been challenging, the teachers have been responsive, and I have not had any trouble. It makes me nervous to see others' bad experiences, but I have had a good one so far. I am in my second semester with Fl Tech. I really like it- especially how the courses are set up. You learn by reading the book, watching lectures online, and doing activities on the message boards. They also have study helps that come with the books they send which are amazing!! I know it sounds like others have had bad experiences, but I havent!! Fl tech seems like a really good school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012