StudentsReview :: Florida International University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL

FIU was awesome.Mechanical Engineering
FIU was awesome. I got my engineering degree from FIU and I am proud to say that. Are UF, FSU, UM any better? i don't think so. calculus is calculus no matter where you take it, meaning the education is the same.

I read a lot comments here complaining about how classes are difficult, well any class is difficult if you don't put in the time. Many people transfer from a community college and think going to a university will be the same as to a CC, and it is not. You wont get many chances, you may only get 3 exams and call it good, but that is part of life. I'm currently attending MIT, and guess what? it is no different than FIU. People have to study no matter what! again, calculus is calculus whether is taught at FIU or at MIT. In other words, don't blame the school or the teacher.

I also read many people complaining on how people are rude, mean and not friendly, you will find this kind of people everywhere. Yes, some people were not very friendly, but my point has always been, why am i going to school for? to make friends or study? make studying a priority and you will see the difference. Also, in any major city such as Miami, NYC, LA, DC, you will find the same kind of people. Move out to the middle of nowhere, and you will most likely find a little "nicer" people.

Disorganize, maybe, but what department isn't? there is always going to be disorganization. I'm currently attending a top notch school, and guess what? even MIT is disorganize! yes you read that right, disorganize. They use a system call Piazza, and it has been quite challenging. i don't think they ran a beta test before using piazza with a large size of people, and it wasn't very organize. My point is that no matter what school you go to, there is always going to be some sort of disorganization. You just have to do some extra research and be prepared that's all, don't blame the school..i could blame MIT for my lack of sleep trying to figured out this piazza thing, but i don't i just find a different approach and a different way to make it work for me.

Quality of learning, I learned a lot because i wanted to learn. The professors were a hit and miss, some were really good, some not so good, but that never stop me from grabbing a book and finding other methods to learn. Some professor went above and beyond to help me understand the material. Overall - FIU was a very good school, a young public university who is slowly making its mark in the US. Is not as old and established like FSU or UF, nonetheless the education is no different than the schools mention above.

It shocks me to come on here andQuite BrightEngineering Department
It shocks me to come on here and read so many negative reviews about FIU. I have seriously enjoyed the time I've spent here and I feel that I am being challenged and forced to think critically. I have made a ton of new friends and have also kept in contact with high school friends. I really do think that if you are not meeting new people it is on you. I always feel like I have people to hang out with at school, during the weekend, work out with, and most importantly study with. A lot of people complain that they are not finding new friends but those are the same people that go home right after class. I have also noticed people studying easier subjects do not make as many new friends. If you study something difficult and spend time studying on campus I promise you will make new friends. I spend almost everyday and even most weekends on campus for the entire day. There is always something to do, especially when you're taking school seriously and spending time studying and getting involved. I also work on campus as a mathematics tutor so that has helped me to meet people and spend more time on campus too. There are tons of clubs and organizations to be involved with.

I really do think that what you put in it is what you'll get out of coming to FIU. I have spent a lot of time at the UF campus too because of an ex girlfriend that goes there. I found it interesting to compare how different things were and have concluded that both are good schools. She was also studying engineering and often told me she wondered what it would be like if she had come to FIU and did not always feel satisfied living in Gainesville. I would sometimes get intensely curious about what it would have been like to move out of Miami and attend FSU or UF but I have realized that I am okay coming here.

I noticed a lot of comments on here too about the overwhelming population of the school being Hispanic and rude. Although most people are Hispanic, I do not see how that is really a problem.. I think many of those people making these comments already had a negative attitude coming into this school in the first place and are just finding reasons to hate it. I have met a ton of ambitious and bright people at this school. Do not let the negative attitudes of some tell you otherwise.

I have had many difficult but fair professors. Studying engineering at any school will not be easy. Here I think my professors try their best to help me and I feel that I am genuinely learning the material and opening my mind up.

At FIU I feel that the staff has done as much as they can to help me. The financial aid office cooperates well with me and my adviser has been extremely sweet and helpful. I have made friends with some of my professors too. Everyday I get emails about job opportunities and I can really feel that my school is trying to help me become employed when I graduate and help me find internships while I am here. I have made friends from many walks of life. The campus itself is absolutely gorgeous. There are tons of places to eat and hang out and even to this day I still stare at the buildings in enjoyment. I enjoy having Brickell and South Beach nearby and I feel that I can enjoy it without it becoming a giant distraction. Know that FIU is not a bad choice but I will admit that it is of course not the best. Good luck with whatever you choose and remember that you are in charge of making your time well spent, regardless of what school you decide to attend.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: C+
This school can't even be bothered to answerNot so bright
This school can't even be bothered to answer an email, let alone actually teach students. I mean it's so obvious its just all about the money I was dismissed like a dog when I was rotting away with a disease off and on hospitals and when I tried to come back they just made it so hard and weird..I gave up. Now I'm reading all the emails I exchanged with teachers back then and wow are they arrogant, non helpful and just strangely disengaged.There's nothing that can make me go back to this awful institution. If you cannot even answer some simple questions there's no reason to stay around for the complicated solutions. They just don't care, period.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1920