StudentsReview ™ :: Florida International University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL

Florida International University

This is pretty much a university where everyone

Mar 17 2014Chemistry
This is pretty much a university where everyone hates being there. The administration doesn't care. Some faculty ignore students. The rare time a prof is actually good, they leave after a year either by finding a much better position or departmental politics forcing them out.The chem department is highly political. Junior profs are treated poorly. Tenured profs really don't care about anything. The labs are a literal hazard (broken equipment is common and questionable chemical storage practices).
5th Year Male -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

Honestly, after reading reviews of this school that

Feb 27 2014Business - Management and Administration
Honestly, after reading reviews of this school that were just plain awful I still decided to give it chance. Literally I believe this had to be the worst decision in my 18 years of life. I've tried everything here to try and enjoy it. I joined a club, I tried to be involved, I tried to "make the best out of it". NOTHING I repeat NOTHING can make going here worth while. People are mean and arrogant, everyone has their cliques and if you're not in one too bad, and the overall environment is not welcoming at all. I came here a happy vibrant human being and I'm leaving cranky and bitter. If you have even an ounce of intelligence in you, don't waste it here. Please.

But all of this it's not the only reason I worked my butt off to transfer after my first year here. The whole system at this school is utter crap. First off housing. If u plan to live on campus, don't. What school has a "lottery" system that gives housing to people randomly and doesn't take into consideration where they came from originally? I live two hours away and was not placed but someone who lives 10 minutes away was placed. When told about this situation the administration just shrugged it off and it was basically a huge "eff you we don't care" to my face. Then you might say "oh but I'm not living on campus, that doesn't effect me!" Wrong. Parking is a joke. I've seen people miss class to find parking and if u do find parking you're probably gonna get a ticket. Then there's the financial aid department which is a complete mess, and yes they will mess with your money and not care too.This school does NOT care about its students. Please if you take advice from anyone please understand this is not a good school. You're better saving your money not paying for $4,000+ housing and getting your AA somewhere else and transferring to a real school and not coming here.

University Resource Use: B+, Useful Schoolwork: F

I found the CJ courses to be easy

Nov 25 2013Criminal
I found the CJ courses to be easy and extremely interesting, however and the new professors were always some kind of a joke due to their inexperience with teaching. The older professors are legit though, and I really learned a lot from them. It's a good school and easy major, but if you want to go the federal law enforcement route, I would suggest doing something more specific than this general because of how broad it is.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013