StudentsReview :: Florida International University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL

It shocks me to come on here andQuite BrightEngineering Department
It shocks me to come on here and read so many negative reviews about FIU. I have seriously enjoyed the time I've spent here and I feel that I am being challenged and forced to think critically. I have made a ton of new friends and have also kept in contact with high school friends. I really do think that if you are not meeting new people it is on you. I always feel like I have people to hang out with at school, during the weekend, work out with, and most importantly study with. A lot of people complain that they are not finding new friends but those are the same people that go home right after class. I have also noticed people studying easier subjects do not make as many new friends. If you study something difficult and spend time studying on campus I promise you will make new friends. I spend almost everyday and even most weekends on campus for the entire day. There is always something to do, especially when you're taking school seriously and spending time studying and getting involved. I also work on campus as a mathematics tutor so that has helped me to meet people and spend more time on campus too. There are tons of clubs and organizations to be involved with.

I really do think that what you put in it is what you'll get out of coming to FIU. I have spent a lot of time at the UF campus too because of an ex girlfriend that goes there. I found it interesting to compare how different things were and have concluded that both are good schools. She was also studying engineering and often told me she wondered what it would be like if she had come to FIU and did not always feel satisfied living in Gainesville. I would sometimes get intensely curious about what it would have been like to move out of Miami and attend FSU or UF but I have realized that I am okay coming here.

I noticed a lot of comments on here too about the overwhelming population of the school being Hispanic and rude. Although most people are Hispanic, I do not see how that is really a problem.. I think many of those people making these comments already had a negative attitude coming into this school in the first place and are just finding reasons to hate it. I have met a ton of ambitious and bright people at this school. Do not let the negative attitudes of some tell you otherwise.

I have had many difficult but fair professors. Studying engineering at any school will not be easy. Here I think my professors try their best to help me and I feel that I am genuinely learning the material and opening my mind up.

At FIU I feel that the staff has done as much as they can to help me. The financial aid office cooperates well with me and my adviser has been extremely sweet and helpful. I have made friends with some of my professors too. Everyday I get emails about job opportunities and I can really feel that my school is trying to help me become employed when I graduate and help me find internships while I am here. I have made friends from many walks of life. The campus itself is absolutely gorgeous. There are tons of places to eat and hang out and even to this day I still stare at the buildings in enjoyment. I enjoy having Brickell and South Beach nearby and I feel that I can enjoy it without it becoming a giant distraction. Know that FIU is not a bad choice but I will admit that it is of course not the best. Good luck with whatever you choose and remember that you are in charge of making your time well spent, regardless of what school you decide to attend.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: C+
This is pretty much a university where everyoneBrightChemistry
This is pretty much a university where everyone hates being there. The administration doesn't care. Some faculty ignore students. The rare time a prof is actually good, they leave after a year either by finding a much better position or departmental politics forcing them out.The chem department is highly political. Junior profs are treated poorly. Tenured profs really don't care about anything. The labs are a literal hazard (broken equipment is common and questionable chemical storage practices).
5th Year Male -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Some FIU professors are good.Political Science
Some FIU professors are good. Some are bad/old and need to retire. Most are difficult and impossible to find on campus; particularly those who have worked at FIU for 20+ years. But it's not the professors you need to be careful of.Watch out for the Offices of Admissions, Registrar's and Financial Aid. They have and will lose your paperwork, your grades, your transcripts, your applications - and then blame you for "not handing the paperwork in". At all costs - always keep a photocopy and mark the date, time and person whom you handed your paperwork into. This is where FIU loses its student support. All the alumni I know refuse to give money to FIU because of some screw-up in Admissions, Registrars or Financial Aid. Even FIU faculty and staff know these offices are beyond any salvation. You can't reform them; FIU's better off starting from scratch. Honestly, you get better service from a more established university that recognizes the importance of customer service.
Compare FIUSave FIU