StudentsReview :: Florida International University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL

Florida International University

I started here during the 2011-2012 school year

Jun 22 2012Psychology
I started here during the 2011-2012 school year. I have already been to the school for a tour from my friend and then again at Orientation. I fell in love with the school both times and this has always been my first choice. From my experience, the teachers have been very knowledgeable about their fields and are very involved with the students, going above and beyond to help the students who actually work hard for it. Of course, in every place you go, you will find people that are rude and mean, so that's not going to be different at FIU. Honestly, in college you go to learn, meet new friends, get involved and also have fun. FIU is really what you make of it, and I've made of it a lot. For food, you have a whole catalog of restaurants/fast food services to choose from, albeit a bit pricey, but worth every penny (they even have a sushi maki, which is fresh every day!). For those planning to attend FIU, I would suggest getting a tour of the school, asking students how they feel about the school, talking to professors, visiting classrooms, and all around gathering information (as in every aspect of life), before deciding. I must admit not all colleges are right for all students.
Education Quality: A+, Innovation: B-

You attend a MIAMI school and expect there

Mar 24 2012PreMed and Medical
You attend a MIAMI school and expect there to be no hispanics? REALLY? Maybe you're not too bright to begin with. I am Cuban and yes I speak spanish, but whether you go to UM or Barry... WE ALL SPEAK SPANISH. Stop being so prejudice and ignorant. I love FIU, great campus, great teachers, great atmosphere. The bigoted people who complained about the hispanic ambiance... we detect prejudice, that's why you made no friends. But by all means, Leave, transfer and let us enjoy quality education you were wasting. And remember, unless you speak Navajo or any other tribal dialect, you're not speaking the NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGE. Great school, don't regret going. :)
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A-

I would have to say that by reading

Jun 20 2013Political Science
I would have to say that by reading people's comments as an undergraduate. At first my experiences wasn't good because I came from Miami Dade which is different compared to FIU. FIU is a different atmosphere because there are many activities to participate like sports and football is the most popular one. Then comes the activities from different department club like selling cookies, cakes, food, shirts, stuff to make money. FIU I would say has a lot of waste in money so yeah you will be broke but worth it i think. If you graduated from Miami Dade and they offer your major over there do it over there. I made a mistake in that because I wasted a lot of money at FIU. I mean it is not a bad school. My first experience at FIU was hard because i took a math class that I almost failed but past with a C. My advisers sucks because she would never tell you which class to pick first just choice whatever you want. I did that and then if it wasn't for the ratemyprofessors i would freak out because I needed to know the professor before starting the class to know what to expect. Books yeah i do not recommend buying them on Campus b/c it is a rip off. There is amazon, ebay, craiglist, or ask a friend to sell it to you is way cheaper or even rent online. If your the type of person who saves money then do that b/c that is what i did and i saved so much. And selling them is a joke I went to sell a text book that cost me $120 and to sell it back at the book store a man said oh its $1.00 to sell it back. And i told him what am i suppose to do with that and he told me go buy coffee. I just left i thought that was rude so i never sold my textbook ever again over there i sold them online and made more money then $1.00. Anyways, the professors i had were wonderful depending who you had usually good professors fill up fast so be sure to be on top of that. As an undergraduate classes will be big and fills up fast but as a graduate student you don't have that stress classes are smaller and a lot of work to do. I would say that BBC Biscayne Bay is a better school then Madelon campus because it is a smaller school and calmer and people there are so respectful. So if i need to get something from the book store go to BBC. I go to BBC instead of the one at MMC b/c the lines are much shorter and they sell the same books over there. Anyways, sometimes i always wished my classes were over then here MMC. MMC people can be friendly but too much people in this campus but BBC is better I think. The library is big but when it comes to final and midterms good luck finding a sit b/c that is always full. And Law school library they don't let anyone in there unless your a student from the law school. Food court not bad but it always filled with high school idiots who are rude and unfriendly but the older students are more respectful then those high school students. I wish FIU can fix that kind of stuff so people can be calmer when it comes to lunch time. It can get very disorganized FIU when it comes to activities it can be loud. First week is really bad b/c of traffic and the lines in the street road. To be honest it is a beautiful school campus to walk around it the gym is really nice it reminds me of a LA fitness. Super clean school and you can study outside or inside any building so that is the good stuff about. Professors are so logic and most of them are friendly and helpful. I have always visited my old professors who were nice to me and helpful as well. Yeah everyone speaks different language but remember international is the world that speaks out from FIU so they get any students around the world. Usually a lot of Asian and Cubans there but other than that mix of almost everything. Parking is HELL but if you have someone who can drop you off that is even better but if you are looking for a spot make sure to get there as early as possible. It maybe a tough job waking up early if your not that kind of person then it can be a problem but if you wake up early its not big deal. Usually in the morning is bad but at night is not that bad. FIU has a Frosty Museum that is beautiful to go in it is free and enjoy that you can walk a lot if your thank kind of person who likes to walk like me. FIU is close to my house so i eight walk or take my bike. The good think about FIU my experiences it that I got my first kiss at FIU it was really nice and we became a couple so I was so happy. That is my experiences at FIU and I love it and proud to be an FIU student from there.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007