StudentsReview :: Florida International University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL

It shocks me to come on here andQuite BrightEngineering Department
It shocks me to come on here and read so many negative reviews about FIU. I have seriously enjoyed the time I've spent here and I feel that I am being challenged and forced to think critically. I have made a ton of new friends and have also kept in contact with high school friends. I really do think that if you are not meeting new people it is on you. I always feel like I have people to hang out with at school, during the weekend, work out with, and most importantly study with. A lot of people complain that they are not finding new friends but those are the same people that go home right after class. I have also noticed people studying easier subjects do not make as many new friends. If you study something difficult and spend time studying on campus I promise you will make new friends. I spend almost everyday and even most weekends on campus for the entire day. There is always something to do, especially when you're taking school seriously and spending time studying and getting involved. I also work on campus as a mathematics tutor so that has helped me to meet people and spend more time on campus too. There are tons of clubs and organizations to be involved with.

I really do think that what you put in it is what you'll get out of coming to FIU. I have spent a lot of time at the UF campus too because of an ex girlfriend that goes there. I found it interesting to compare how different things were and have concluded that both are good schools. She was also studying engineering and often told me she wondered what it would be like if she had come to FIU and did not always feel satisfied living in Gainesville. I would sometimes get intensely curious about what it would have been like to move out of Miami and attend FSU or UF but I have realized that I am okay coming here.

I noticed a lot of comments on here too about the overwhelming population of the school being Hispanic and rude. Although most people are Hispanic, I do not see how that is really a problem.. I think many of those people making these comments already had a negative attitude coming into this school in the first place and are just finding reasons to hate it. I have met a ton of ambitious and bright people at this school. Do not let the negative attitudes of some tell you otherwise.

I have had many difficult but fair professors. Studying engineering at any school will not be easy. Here I think my professors try their best to help me and I feel that I am genuinely learning the material and opening my mind up.

At FIU I feel that the staff has done as much as they can to help me. The financial aid office cooperates well with me and my adviser has been extremely sweet and helpful. I have made friends with some of my professors too. Everyday I get emails about job opportunities and I can really feel that my school is trying to help me become employed when I graduate and help me find internships while I am here. I have made friends from many walks of life. The campus itself is absolutely gorgeous. There are tons of places to eat and hang out and even to this day I still stare at the buildings in enjoyment. I enjoy having Brickell and South Beach nearby and I feel that I can enjoy it without it becoming a giant distraction. Know that FIU is not a bad choice but I will admit that it is of course not the best. Good luck with whatever you choose and remember that you are in charge of making your time well spent, regardless of what school you decide to attend.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: C+
Engineering Department
FIU prepared me for my career.
I would have to say that by readingNot so brightPolitical Science
I would have to say that by reading people's comments as an undergraduate. At first my experiences wasn't good because I came from Miami Dade which is different compared to FIU. FIU is a different atmosphere because there are many activities to participate like sports and football is the most popular one. Then comes the activities from different department club like selling cookies, cakes, food, shirts, stuff to make money. FIU I would say has a lot of waste in money so yeah you will be broke but worth it i think. If you graduated from Miami Dade and they offer your major over there do it over there. I made a mistake in that because I wasted a lot of money at FIU. I mean it is not a bad school. My first experience at FIU was hard because i took a math class that I almost failed but past with a C. My advisers sucks because she would never tell you which class to pick first just choice whatever you want. I did that and then if it wasn't for the ratemyprofessors i would freak out because I needed to know the professor before starting the class to know what to expect. Books yeah i do not recommend buying them on Campus b/c it is a rip off. There is amazon, ebay, craiglist, or ask a friend to sell it to you is way cheaper or even rent online. If your the type of person who saves money then do that b/c that is what i did and i saved so much. And selling them is a joke I went to sell a text book that cost me $120 and to sell it back at the book store a man said oh its $1.00 to sell it back. And i told him what am i suppose to do with that and he told me go buy coffee. I just left i thought that was rude so i never sold my textbook ever again over there i sold them online and made more money then $1.00. Anyways, the professors i had were wonderful depending who you had usually good professors fill up fast so be sure to be on top of that. As an undergraduate classes will be big and fills up fast but as a graduate student you don't have that stress classes are smaller and a lot of work to do. I would say that BBC Biscayne Bay is a better school then Madelon campus because it is a smaller school and calmer and people there are so respectful. So if i need to get something from the book store go to BBC. I go to BBC instead of the one at MMC b/c the lines are much shorter and they sell the same books over there. Anyways, sometimes i always wished my classes were over then here MMC. MMC people can be friendly but too much people in this campus but BBC is better I think. The library is big but when it comes to final and midterms good luck finding a sit b/c that is always full. And Law school library they don't let anyone in there unless your a student from the law school. Food court not bad but it always filled with high school idiots who are rude and unfriendly but the older students are more respectful then those high school students. I wish FIU can fix that kind of stuff so people can be calmer when it comes to lunch time. It can get very disorganized FIU when it comes to activities it can be loud. First week is really bad b/c of traffic and the lines in the street road. To be honest it is a beautiful school campus to walk around it the gym is really nice it reminds me of a LA fitness. Super clean school and you can study outside or inside any building so that is the good stuff about. Professors are so logic and most of them are friendly and helpful. I have always visited my old professors who were nice to me and helpful as well. Yeah everyone speaks different language but remember international is the world that speaks out from FIU so they get any students around the world. Usually a lot of Asian and Cubans there but other than that mix of almost everything. Parking is HELL but if you have someone who can drop you off that is even better but if you are looking for a spot make sure to get there as early as possible. It maybe a tough job waking up early if your not that kind of person then it can be a problem but if you wake up early its not big deal. Usually in the morning is bad but at night is not that bad. FIU has a Frosty Museum that is beautiful to go in it is free and enjoy that you can walk a lot if your thank kind of person who likes to walk like me. FIU is close to my house so i eight walk or take my bike. The good think about FIU my experiences it that I got my first kiss at FIU it was really nice and we became a couple so I was so happy. That is my experiences at FIU and I love it and proud to be an FIU student from there.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007