StudentsReview :: Florida Southern College - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Florida Southern College

Okay, I'll give it to you guys straight.Bright
Okay, I'll give it to you guys straight. I'm a senior biology major in my final semester and I think I have got a pretty good feel for what this school is actually like.

Pros:
-Campus is beautiful. Seriously. Flowers, gardens and unnaturally green lawns are everywhere. FLW buildings are gorgeous (but not exactly functional sometimes.)

-Staff is always available. Lots of the professors live within walking distance to the school so meeting them is not a problem, even outside of their office hours. I feel like I really got to know my advisor.

-I actually really enjoyed the social life here. However, It is different and it really feels like the South. As much as people talk trash about Kau's, I can honestly say that I had a blast there in the my early college years. Get involved with a fraternity or a sorority. There's one for everybody here and as hard as some people try, it is definetly not your average "TFM" experience. They're a little silly and superficial but I honestly did make some great friends and I was never bored on the weekends.

-As a biology student, I felt challenged by my courses. Professors for the most part know what they are talking about and are friendly. Don't know too much about other departments.

-Lakeland is cool if you look. People that complain about Lakeland are generally the same people who spend all weekend locked in front of an xbox playing COD or something. There's stuff to do, and if you can't find it you're not looking hard enough.

-Students for the most part are pretty friendly.
-You will be given opportunities to perform research. Get involved with it as soon as possible, even if you don't get credit hours for it.

-I loved the Biology department here, and it is one of the departments that is getting better with time.

Cons:
-Administration blows. That is one thing that I think lots of people complaining nailed on the head. The business office is horribly understaffed and it shows. They are nice ladies, but they just don't have the resources they need.

-Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, while beautiful, are not exactly funcitonal. Polk Science needs some serious upgrades to it's labs.

-Might have just been me with this one, but I hated all of the chemistry I took at FSC. I don't know where they find them, but some of the chemistry professors really ruined the classes here. If I could have, I would have taken my organic courses elsewhere.

-Students, while nice, tend to be a little clique-y. It gets a little irritating, especially as you get further into college/older.

-Food is kinda meh. But whatever, move off campus and get a kitchen. I can't really think of any college that has a super great cafeteria.

Honestly this is school is the definition of " You get out, what you put in."
Get involved. Do it early and avoid chemistry.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: D+
This was a waste of 4 years of my life.Quite BrightNursing
This was a waste of 4 years of my life. Well, 3 and a half. After presenting evidence that they made a mistake with my financial aid, they still chose to leave things as is. ANd kick me out of school unless I could come up with 9,000 to "pay my tuition" despite having taken out loans to cover it. The administration views the students as paycheck oppurtunities, not as people.
4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Friendliness: A-, Individual Value: F
Supposedly, FSC once had a solid academic reputation.BrightAccounting
Supposedly, FSC once had a solid academic reputation. However, as far as I can tell, it has turned into a giant fund-raising operation: solicit money to beautify the campus, so that people will be impressed and contribute more money, so that the campus can be beautified some more, and so on. What seems to be missing is a focus on actually educating students.

Some profs are fine, but too many others seem like they're missing in action. A number of courses are taught by adjuncts, and while some are good, others are just moonlighting for extra pay and don't really seem to care about their classes. Also, key courses for your major aren't always offered regularly, unless you opt for an online version. But why pay for a 4-year residential college experience if you're just going to end up being forced to take an online class?

Good luck with getting competent input from an adviser--you'll need it! The registrar and the financial aid office also seem to have trouble doing their jobs competently and efficiently.

The campus is really neat. It's world famous for its great collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. Lakeland is pleasant in the winter and early spring, but brutally hot in late spring and summer. However, it is very green and lush, and I happen to like it.FSC has a lot of potential as a school, but I feel like it's heading in the wrong direction. The administration is treating it like a business enterprise instead of like an institution of higher learning. I'm not sure if I'd go here if I had it all to do over again.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use: D

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→