StudentsReview :: Florida Southern College - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Florida Southern College

Oct 23 2013Music - Performance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The teaching faculty is great for the most part. But the administration treats us like walking paychecks. They charge us out the rear for everything and anything, and they don't spend money on resources for students. Only things to improve the campus beauty. They gave half the music department to an outside orchestra for no reason other than, "the president likes this orchestra". It does not benefit us in anyway, and we lost facilities we regularly used.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: D+
Oct 18 2013Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Baseball scholarship. Rude old staff assholes. Polk county does not help!
Apr 25 2013Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
In the dorms, they have "fire drills" at completely random time in the evening every other month or so. They evacuate the students from their rooms during prime study hours while the "Safety" officers sweep through the halls. They look inside everyones rooms and if they think they smell anything or think they might see something, they have full liberty to search your room. This happened to me. The RA in my dorm marked my room as suspicious due to the fact that I had made a pull-up bar with wood (I am a design major). They searched my room without me present and found a pipe that I had hidden way out of sight. They immediately kicked me out of school, but were so nice as to give me the opportunity to reapply next year after completing drug rehabilitation counseling.

The upper administration here are like nazis. They do not care about the rights of students and actively try to seek out students that are drinking and/or smoking. Yes, I understand that they I agreed to their rules while signing up, but I also remember giving them tens of thousands of dollars to live in a tiny cinderblock room. I should be entitled to at least try and have a normal college experience.

The campus is great, the best thing about the school. Lakeland is nice. Saturday nights are crazy at the local bar, Kau Kau Korner. Basically the whole school goes out and gets shit-faced at this little shitty hole in the wall. There is a dance floor, a big ass bar, beer pong, and a smoking section out back. It is a pretty good time due to the fact that it is just about everyone you see on campus. It can get old because you will end up seeing the exact same people time after time.

The Art department is top notch in my opinion. The faculty know exactly what they teach because they are all successful professionals dealing in what they teach. I love the students in the art department although some of the student's work is quite awful, but remarkably they pass because they demonstrate they are putting in the effort to do better and are motivated to learn.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2010