StudentsReview :: Florida Southern College - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Florida Southern College

Aug 08 2007Business - Management and Administration

my school is very nice and they have a lot of really helpful teachers.

1st Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: F

My time at Florida Southern was a great

Apr 19 2007English
My time at Florida Southern was a great overall experience. A small student body with small classes encouraged interaction with fellow students. Professors were always available to students with no graduate teaching assistants. Although small, it offered a wide variety of activities. Its setting on Lake Hollingsworth with its Frank Lloyd Wright architecture is breathtaking. I feel that it fully prepared me for my vocation. I would suggest that students take advantage of its study abroad program and use its wonderful library. College courses require a tremendous amount of both reading and writing, so make sure that you are prepared in these areas before enrollment. Its Fine Arts Festival attracts world class acts which are free to students, so be sure to attend as many of these performances as possible. Its new wellness center offers exercise equipment, classes, etc. all with a beautiful view of the lake. Its athletic program is one of the best in the nation for small colleges. I am proud to be a graduate of Florida Southern!
Starting Job: Librarian Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+
Oct 20 2007Communications
Florida Southern is a good school because you get alot of one-on-one time with your teachers. The business department is full of dickheads, but the other departments are good. This is the school for you if you:

1. Love country boys (not my type...but they are really nice)
2. Can deal with people that think they are the shit because they party now, but def were losers in high school!

3. Love to go to one local shit bar (not that bad)
3. Love an environment where everyone knows your name (like Cheers I swear)
4. Like huge dorms!!!!!!
5. Like being able to speak out whenever you want in class (awesome I loved that)
6. Like Baseball and pick-up trucks
7. Like people that will smile right back at u when u smile at them.
8. Cool ass cafeteria Staff!
9. Pretty campus
10. Don’t mind being surrounded by a hick town with lots of meth addicts (but they are surprising nice. I’m from the north if u can't tell)

This school was an overall good experience but you must be patient because it is the south. Coming from the north was quite a shock, but I miss the friendly people since I moved back up north. If sweet tea and corn bread is your thing then you will feel right at home. I never thought I would say such great things about this school, but I do miss it.

The one piece of advice that I have to give is that if you are a bio. major when you come in as a freshman; don't let Dr. Baum tell you that you should switch majors because "it isn't your field". He totally ruined my dreams and I'm now going back to school for wildlife biology. This man is useless when it comes to advice. Avoid him because he doesn't respect girls and favors guys who play sports.

It is a religious school, but don't let that scare you because they don't shove God down your throat. (Believe me when I say this because I was a total jackass during religion classes!)

Good school...go there...and give it time because it will grow on you. I swear!
Peace