StudentsReview :: Florida Southern College - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Florida Southern College

In the dorms, they have "fire drills" atQuite BrightArt & Design Department
In the dorms, they have "fire drills" at completely random time in the evening every other month or so. They evacuate the students from their rooms during prime study hours while the "Safety" officers sweep through the halls. They look inside everyones rooms and if they think they smell anything or think they might see something, they have full liberty to search your room. This happened to me. The RA in my dorm marked my room as suspicious due to the fact that I had made a pull-up bar with wood (I am a design major). They searched my room without me present and found a pipe that I had hidden way out of sight. They immediately kicked me out of school, but were so nice as to give me the opportunity to reapply next year after completing drug rehabilitation counseling.

The upper administration here are like nazis. They do not care about the rights of students and actively try to seek out students that are drinking and/or smoking. Yes, I understand that they I agreed to their rules while signing up, but I also remember giving them tens of thousands of dollars to live in a tiny cinderblock room. I should be entitled to at least try and have a normal college experience.

The campus is great, the best thing about the school. Lakeland is nice. Saturday nights are crazy at the local bar, Kau Kau Korner. Basically the whole school goes out and gets shit-faced at this little shitty hole in the wall. There is a dance floor, a big ass bar, beer pong, and a smoking section out back. It is a pretty good time due to the fact that it is just about everyone you see on campus. It can get old because you will end up seeing the exact same people time after time.

The Art department is top notch in my opinion. The faculty know exactly what they teach because they are all successful professionals dealing in what they teach. I love the students in the art department although some of the student's work is quite awful, but remarkably they pass because they demonstrate they are putting in the effort to do better and are motivated to learn.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2010
Scholastic Success: A+, Individual Value: F
Aesthetically the campus is very pleasing for thoseBrightPolitical Science
Aesthetically the campus is very pleasing for those that like an abundance of plant life and decorative fountains. There are so many "gardens" it is a varietable maze to travel from class to class while dodging the perpetual lawn maintenance crews. The obvious effort to maintain the surface of the campus is completely lacking in the maintenance of the actual facilities. Throughout the classrooms you will find loose wires and rotted or rotting tiles and sections of wall. Before applying I would strongly recomend walking through a large portion of the buildings in the heat of the summer to perhaps experience a class with no A/C and an outside tempurature of 95+ degrees. Staff are generally friendly up until the point you ask them to do their job. They will talk to you all day about the gardens and weather, but as soon as you need something other than a friendly conversation prepare to be given the run around with you being told in every way that you are the one making things so difficult.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Faculty Accessibility: B, Education Quality: D
Alright, So the school as a whole isBrightPolitical Science
Alright, So the school as a whole is of fairly poor quality. There are certain aspects that are good and others that lack. To be an optomist, the good parts are dealing with the social part of the school. The school itself doesn't put anything on for the students. There is a huge lack of weekend programming. What are we left to do? DRINK! Kaus is the best place ever. It is the only thing that makes me feel like I am in college. This is a DRY CAMPUS!! That means no alcohol permitted...we have lots of it though. Thank GOD...that is the only way that I could survive. Now for the negatives. I have an ENGLISH professor who doesn't speak ENGLISH! Also, I am a political science major and there are only two professors in the major. Both of whom are so old that they could go at any minute. The administration had a huge generation gap with the students and don't know what they want.
1st Year Male -- Class 2010