StudentsReview :: Jacksonville University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL
Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL

Jacksonville University

Perspective JU students and athletes.Not so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
Perspective JU students and athletes...
I attended JU for 2 years and one semester. As an athlete I can tell you I did receive special treatment that went beyond what an athlete may need. And by that I mean, yes athletes travel and may need adjustments on test days and projects and such. But what I received was unwarranted aid from my professors.

Which would be a great transition to speak about the departments. As a Freshman you do have prerequisite classes, considering it is a liberal arts university. I say this, because I got a taste of almost every department on the campus. I started as a dual major in 2 different Engineering degrees. After some events that occurred outside of my control, I was unable to continue that course and moved onto a Business. The Science Department is an absolute joke, I passed Physics with an A+ and did not do anything. Chemistry was a bit of a challenge I can admit, but I feel that is because we tried to learn a topic -like thermo chemistry- in a week. The english department literally had a grammar test you had to pass in order to take any more english classes. I feel that should be determined before you go to school.

The business school was ok at best, maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. There were teachers in the department that were just like the physics department, were I literally did nothing but take the open notes open book test and pass with a B-.

The surrounding city is awful, do not let the beach fool you. First off, if you do not have a car or a close friend that has a car kiss the beach goodbye. Everything that could be fun around JU is a 15 minute ride or more away. The immediate surrounding area is one of the most dangerous places I have ever seen. I am not over exaggerating that at all, there was a joke around the school that the school theme song were the sirens of the police, ambulances, and fire trucks. The cops on the beach are awful, just look up "Jacksonville Police..." on google and read the stories about abuse, brutality, racism and just about anything else. The beach is not safe at all, in any way. The city is full of homeless people and wash outs. The people are all very obese and have generally given up on life. I will never forget sitting in a bank and a woman struck up a conversation with me by saying "I hate this whole damn place. There is nothing to do here!" and then proceeded to ask me how much I hated it. When I replied that I believe you have to be the improvement you want to see she said "..this place is forsaken. Leave while y'all can."

For all athletes, please consider that the facilities will not be getting better. There were too many promises made, and even more unkept. And I know that may sound like it doesn't make sense, but what I am trying to say is that things got worse. They did build a new stadium, true, but the overall quality got worse. The field house, where most of the locker rooms are, are unsanitary and disgusting. They flooded a lot which caused mold, the a/c stopped working, they smell awful -and I'm not talking gym dirty, I'm talking unsanitary to the point that a dog kennel I volunteered at smelled about the same-, the staff is over worked and under appreciated, the medical trainers are incompetent. The athletics are an overall joke. If you are a serious athlete, seriously consider anywhere else.I could go on and on about the obesity, the general lack of education in the people and everyone there, the horrible climate, the awful conditions and on and on and on. But I can sum it up with this: if you want to live a better life, if you want to wake up every morning with a chance to be happy, if you want to get the education you are paying for, if you want to have a generally positive out look on life DO NOT GO TO JACKSONVILLE.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Individual Value: B-, Scholastic Success: F
The students are very cliquey.Quite BrightFinance
The students are very cliquey. The faculty is friendly and in some spots very educated. Over all, the faculty do what they want. Dont be shocked if your teacher doesn't show up. The students are relatively dumb. The facilities are piss poor in every single aspect. I went there for 2.5 years and every year we were promised a new building here or there. We got a river house that was a mont late, and extremely expensive to enjoy. Next we got a nurses school that was needed because the nurses were learning in tailers...literally. This might not be bad if JU was cheap, but at just under $40k a year it was unacceptable. Every athletic program is a joke here, except rowing and they are very secluded from the rest of the population. The surrounding 5 mile area is extremely dangerous -gun shot, murder, drugs, gangs, fires, accidents, etc.- and the beaches are very expensive. The cops are overworked and have no tolerance for students. The school nickle and dimes for any and everything. If anyone ever asks how it was, I always say "I learned something from my experience at JU, but it is not what I paid to learn"
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: C, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Jacksonville University's Davis College of Business was rankQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Jacksonville University's Davis College of Business was ranked third in the nation, and fourteenth in the world, as one of best business schools to attend, according to CEO Magazine. Jacksonville University prepares it's students to be prepared on their first day in the job field. As a small private university, Jacksonville University provides an Ivy League level education on a personal level; with a 14:1 faculty student ratio.
4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Campus Maintenance: C+
Jacksonville University
Compare JacksonvilleSave Jacksonville

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→