StudentsReview :: Nova Southeastern University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 34
Males 27
Avg years at University 2.5
Research Quality B (6.6)
Research Availability B (6.6)
Research Funding C+ (5.5)
Graduate Politics B (6.7)
Errand Runners B (6.9)
Degree Completion B (6.6)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.7)
Sufficient Pay C (4.8)
Competitiveness B- (6.3)
Education Quality B- (6.4)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.4)
Useful Research B+ (7.7)
"Individual" treatment B- (5.9)
Friendliness B- (6.5)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty A- (8.5)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.5)
University Resource/spending B (7.0)
Extracurriculars B- (6.5)
Success-Understanding B (6.6)
Surrounding City B+ (7.9)
Social Life/Environment B- (6.3)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]C
Campus MaintenanceA-

Be very careful

Jul 12 2014Criminal
Be very careful. Online bullying on the discussion boards goes on. Students are called out by other students openly. It makes for a very hostile environment. One would think that if you are going to report another student, do so privately, not out in the open. Very discouraging. I am afraid the I have made the wrong choice in my education investment. But, it is not too late to find another University that does not tolerate this kind of conduct.

There are too many

Jun 30 2014Communications
There are too many technical issues and the professors do not list all necessary information for success. The cost per class is high, there should be no bugs in this program. Worst online school compared to two other schools I have attended through out my six years of college.

DO NOT GO TO THIS UNIVERSITY, specifically the

May 24 2014Education
DO NOT GO TO THIS UNIVERSITY, specifically the TAMPA CAMPUS...I would go to the main campus but in Tampa it is a diploma mill and the people that work there are idiots...I asked a recruiter a question and he kept me there for over an hour explaining everything but the kitchen sink...I was so tired I couldn't even remember anything he said...everyone else was unapproachable. BEWARE!!!

Would not recommend this

May 13 2014Education
Would not recommend this school for a doctoral program. A money pit with nothing to show. Long wait time on phone, hard to schedule face to face appointments to discuss issues, and complaints are disregarded.Attend a traditional state college. NOVA is the pits.

2009 MBA graduate

Feb 20 2014Business - Management and Administration
2009 MBA graduate. I had a great experience at Nova. This school is one of the best in the state. Don?t let the negative postings of those who likely could not cut it academically mislead you. The school is fully accredited and known regionally as a leader in technology and research. I launched a career as a bank executive and adjunct professor at a state school within 5 years of graduating. The negative postings are likely from those who either dropped out or were asked to leave. I find it remarkable when people blame their professors for poor performance at the graduate level. Just do your work and stop blaming those around you. The real world will eat those people alive. Nova offers a quality education. Yes, it is expensive. If you are concerned about cost, spend your first 2 years at a community college, then go to a state school. I went to NOVA and I had several other options including law school at a state university. If I were to say one thing that NOVA should improve on, it would be their admission rate ? they accept some students who are not MBA material. In other words, the people who complain about their bad academic experience, likely should have never been accepted to the university. Nova has a high acceptance rate intentionally. They want to make a quality education available for as many students as possible. This has resulted in some students failing and then blaming the faculty for their failure. Grow up.

DON'T GO TO NSU's ITDE Ed

Dec 17 2013Education
DON'T GO TO NSU's ITDE Ed.D. PROGRAM!!!! 2 of my classmates paid someone to write their dissertations so they could get it past their committee. Another didn't have to do a full dissertation. I completed all my coursework successfully and finished my first 3 chapters of my dissertation and NSU would not work with me to let me finish it past their deadline even though they changed my chair 3 times without telling me!!! SUCKS that you pay so much and if I wasn't so honest, I should have paid someone to write my dissertation if it meant throwing away hard earned money and still no Ed.D.

I spent an extra 6 months completing my

Dec 17 2013Education
I spent an extra 6 months completing my dissertation because I had a co-chair that would not do their job, which caused me an extra $2600.00. When I complained and requested a refund due to the negligence of their faculty, they explained my experience was great and we will not reimburse you even though I have e-mails dating a year back with my chair stating I was ready to submit. I am done, but if I had it to do over I would not use this university, over $50,000.00 later I have gotten myself through this program with very little help from NSU faculty!

This is a follow-up to a post I

Dec 08 2013School of Information
This is a follow-up to a post I made in March of 2012 about NSU. I successfully completed my PhD program requirements in Information Systems the week before Thanksgiving. It took me nearly a decade to get through, but they don?t ask you how you won, they ask you did you win? I did it! Many others before me did not finish their NSU doctoral pursuits and many after me will not as well. After several years of reading students ripping NSU to shreds in these student review forums, let me put my two cents worth in again and for the last time.

First of all, I?m speaking of the graduate school experience at NSU and not that of an undergraduate. I?m not an eighteen year-old freshman, I don?t live on campus, and I don?t eat the cafeteria food every day so resident undergraduate students would be entitled to submit a more critical review of Nova in that regard and I couldn?t defend the school with their complaints and/or concerns as I would be speaking out of turn. I?m speaking primarily to doctoral students currently or previously enrolled in NSU?s many programs. You guys should know better. The common themes that I constantly hear about NSU as far as negatives are diploma mill, cost/expense, academic rigor, and incompetent faculty. Let me tackle each theme one by one.

?A diploma mill (also known as a ?degree mill?) is an unaccredited higher education institution that offers fake academic degrees and diplomas for a fee. It typically denotes an institution providing diplomas on an intensive and profit-making basis, like a factory? (Wikipedia.com). Three of the main characteristics of a diploma mill are that one, it is unaccredited by the appropriately recognized accrediting body of the U.S Department of Education. Two, it gives itself a name similar to that of a prestigious, accredited college or university, and three, it will claim accreditation from an accreditation mill, in essence, a bogus accrediting body deceptively representing or misleading itself to be a legitimate accreditation body.

Fact: NSU is accredited by the same accrediting body that accredits Florida State University, University of Tampa, University of Miami, University of North Carolina, Duke University, Wake Forest University, and every other legitimate state university and private college in the Southern United States.

Fact: NSU doesn?t sell degrees for a price. If you paid them upfront and in a few weeks or months you automatically received your degree, then we?d be talking diploma mill here according to the definition above. There?s no factory pumping out NSU diplomas for those with the money. I worked many long years before they would confer my degree. I couldn?t have bought it from NSU if I wanted to. I earned my PhD!

Fact: Nova Southeastern University is not named after a prestigious school to deceptively attract students to attend. In fact, I wish they would change their name to something more traditional, but again, the name in itself indicates that they strive not to be a diploma mill.

Now let?s talk about cost and expense. Nova is a ?not-for-profit? institution, not a ?for profit? institution. But NSU is not a state university either. NSU is private and as you all know, private schools are always more expensive than their state university counterparts because private schools are tuition driven and not supported by state tax dollars. The fact that NSU is so technologically advanced is also a factor in their pricing. Someone has to pay for all of this technology and the faculty and staff to keep it running. Sadly, that cost is passed onto the students.

As far as academic rigor goes, just like degree programs, some classes are harder than others, that?s a well-known fact. Some professors are more demanding and critical than others and that?s a fact too. If you are stating that NSU is lacking as far as academic rigor, have you taken every class from every professor? Have you polled your friends or others to see if they share your experiences? I would imagine that if you are the one making these claims against NSU, you probably haven?t registered for that one class or met that one professor yet that would indeed challenge you. Nova has those difficult courses and professors there I can assure you, along with the easier courses and more accommodating, passive instructors. Getting a doctorate is not supposed to be easy. That?s what makes attaining one so special and great. If it was easy, everyone would have one, right? NSU merely subscribes to this theory. Not everyone who attempts a PhD or DBA, whether at NSU, or anywhere else, will be successful.

NSU stopped the practice of hiring its own graduates as faculty years ago. You will undoubtedly still have a few NSU graduates employed as faculty who will eventually retire and then you will have a more balanced staff from among the many division one top tier research universities. You are starting to actually see more of this now. NSU currently has faculty who graduated from the Ivey League ranks, as well as the top-tier research schools. Many of the faculty in the Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences are well published in top peer-reviewed journals.

In closing, NSU is still on the brink of trying to establish itself as a premiere, Research University. The distance education element, although their claim to fame, probably detracts from this goal as traditional academic scholars still frown on distance based learning in doctoral programs because they see it as a watered-down, less rigorous version of traditional programs.

This brings me to my final point that not all of NSU?s doctoral programs are distance-based (Online). My doctoral program in Information Systems was a hybrid that combined traditional classroom with distance-based learning. The two-part question of the day is?is a blended, hybrid program in actuality an online program? Does the small online component of a hybrid program completely negate the traditional component of the program? My two cents.

I attend classes at the Jax SEU

Sep 12 2013Business - Management and Administration
I attend classes at the Jax SEU. I'm in the second year of my MBA program and plan on graduating in June 2014. In Jacksonville, there are several options and I truly believe Nova's program was the best choice for me. I have received support, individual attention, advice and made great friends. I am currently doing a leadership concentration and I love the leadership classes. They have added something special to my MBA experience.

Classes can be challenging, but you're in grad school- they're supposed to be hard. As long as you do the work and stay on top of the readings, you will be fine.I do not see Nova as a diploma mill as much as a school that has maybe less stringent admission standards. I have seen students come in and not do well recognizing that maybe they were not ready for the rigors of the coursework. I can also see how this would lead to disgruntled former students who feel that Nova wasted their time and money.

The Ph.D. program in Computer Information Systems is

Aug 27 2013Computer Science
The Ph.D. program in Computer Information Systems is a very good program. The faculty are very qualified to teach in their respective areas and were always approachable.

I was particularly fortunate to have the dissertation advisor I had. He has a Ph.D. in Decision and Information Systems from Carnegie Mellon University and is well published in the field. He was also the nicest, most helpful, and supportive person I could ever want as a dissertation advisor. I am truly thankful I had the chance to work with him in the dissertation process. The program is academically rigorous. You will have to work in the courses and work even harder on your dissertation if you expect to earn the degree. It was not easy, but I recently finished it, and am very proud of the accomplishment and very happy to have attended Nova Southeastern. I looked at the programs available to me as someone already working in the field of decision support systems could not find a better program that would permit me to earn my Ph.D., learn a great deal about my field and advanced research in general, and not stop working for several years to work on the degree. Not only are the faculty top notch, but so are many of the students. I was surrounded by some very competent and knowledgeable professionals in my field as my student peers as well. Of course there were some who should not have been there, and who are probably the ones who post the negative comments about the program and the faculty. There is a distinct difference between being able to do masters level course work and Ph.D. level research. Please do not blame the school if you are unable to make the transition.

Research Topic(s): Supervised Learning Methods to Enhance Customer Lifetime Value Models
Aug 19 2013School of Information
I read several bad and unfair comments about this university. First of all, if you are a student who did not graduate or did not study, or got expelled or just did not try hard enough or maybe partied too hard and wasted your time then you should only blame yourself for failing NOT the school. Resentment is a painful pill to swallow. Anyway, I am student at Nova PhD program (information systems). YES, IT IS A GREAT SCHOOL. Nova is as good as you make it to be. Every university has good and bad teachers. If you are in PhD program and you do not have people skills then you should not attend any PhD program. A PhD program is more than just how smart you are? It is about being smart and having people skills. You as a person/student have to be smart enough to network with the right professors to graduate. It is a game that you must play and win otherwise you will lose the opportunity and your money. These are the rules of the PhD game if you do not like them then DO NOT GO TO GRADUATE SCHOOL!!!

Just completed the EdD program (2013), and overall

Jul 26 2013Education
Just completed the EdD program (2013), and overall was quite satisfied with the program...although it took longer to finish my dissertation (and thus it cost more in ongoing fees) than I had expected; but much of the responsibility for this was related to my own failure to adequately & regularly commit the time needed to make regular progress. Expectations were high...and I had to work hard to make it to the finish line. It is a doctoral dissertation for crying out loud...I would be disappointed if NOVA gave out doctorates without the commensurate academic rigor and self-sacrifice expected of a terminal degree recipient. I suspect those who are most unhappy are those who did not complete their degree.

Hello,

Jun 25 2013Accounting
Hello,Been attending online and a few on campus classes for the MBA Accounting program. The teachers are very approachable, knowledgeable and respond quickly and help you explain if you need the help. and the exams have been hard, especially taxes. I've learned a great deal and would recommend the on line accounting courses for anyone that works a normal job. The exams are based on the book and theory, advanced accounting was also very challenging. You will pass the exams but only if you understand and learn the material. The accounting program is awesome, and the on line material and chat seasons are very helpful in learning what you need to succeed in life. You either know the material or you will fail, so study alot. Will be graduating in September 2013 and ready to take the CPA exams. I don't know about the other programs but the MBA in Accounting; I would rate it an A-. My only regret was not starting the program earlier.

Great university,with challenging courses

May 24 2013Education
Great university,with challenging courses. The blended approach was well done & at the appropriate level. They are ahead of many other universities still trying to work out online bugs.

I am in the

May 16 2013Education
I am in the deissertation phase of the organizational leadership program. My chair is absolutely no help, he takes his time answering me. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldnt come to Nva, neither would I reecommend others to do so.

I love attending this

May 04 2013Psychology
I love attending this school and you definitely earn your degree. The course work and learning material has been very beneficial for me.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS SCHOOL!!!!!

Apr 20 2013Education
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS SCHOOL!!!!! Nova is the biggest waste of time and money I've ever spent. I have had problems with every aspect of this school inclucing admissions, professors, the bookstore, clincial placements- everything!!!! Nothing has ever frustrated me as much as this school. Every aspect of it is horrible. I tell everyone I know to stay far away. I can't describe in enough detail how awful it is- PLEASE stay away. The only thing that will make me feel a bit better about wasting so much money is if I can help others stay away and perhaps force the school into caring at all about students, and not just their tuition.
Jul 23 2012Business - Management and Administration

do not waste your hard earned money!!!!!

I learned how to perform research after interestingly

May 06 2012Computer Science
I learned how to perform research after interestingly enough graduating from a highly respectable University in the Southeast that never imparted the knowledge or ability. I realize that Nova does not have the highest reputation but I would put my education on the line with my colleagues that have graduated from more prominent schools.

Do not waste your money here the level

Apr 25 2012Computer Science
Do not waste your money here the level of arrogance is unfounded. Students and Professor carry themselves poorly. Learning is not an option, The cost is not justified. I work for a Level 1 research University and thought this would be a good fit to continue my education, sadly wrong. The resources are top notch but Faculty is more concerned with themselves than teaching students to become the next generation of teachers or professional. There is no advice from faculty or staff to make sure you will succeed. They want you to beg for them to be your chair, but only if it fits with their agenda or interest; while sticking their hands in your pockets deeply I might add.

You will succeed at this University if you are arrogant and self serving but have the ability to suck up. I was personally so excited to attend here, talk about sad to learn the truth about it. There are other equally reputable and even some better one where you will have the opportunity to succeed.

The only reason I would not consider attending

Mar 08 2012Computer Science
The only reason I would not consider attending NSU again is because of its bad reputation in Academia, although it is mostly undeserved. I keep hearing the word diploma mill thrown around in describing NSU when apparently many people don't know precisely what the term diploma mill actually means. Look it up!! Although NSU may display an attribute or two of a diploma mill, it really isn't one. Diploma mills award degrees for a price with little or no regard to academics or rigor. Basically, you buy your degree. Wikipedia defines the term diploma mill and gives a long list of attributes that exemplify a diploma mill. If you read it in its entirety, NSU doesn't fit most, if any, of the criteria for a diploma.NSU doesn't sell degrees, you earn them!! Just because it is difficult and you can't get the work accomplished to graduate doesn't make them a diploma mill. Just because they take your money and you don't graduate doesn't necessarily make them a diploma mill either. Maybe something else, but not a diploma mill. A lot of students are accepted into NSU who are definately not PhD material. However, the majority of these students are weeded out soon enough and hence, they do not graduate. At NSU, only the strong survive. If you graduate from NSU with your PhD, you've definately demonstrated that you have what it takes to succeed in their type of academic environment. The fact that many others cannot, or did not finish their studies reinforces this point.

If you go for an EdD, you need

Feb 09 2012Education
If you go for an EdD, you need to do all the coursework in the first two years and then do the dissertation in the third year. Otherwise, you will be stuck paying for Dissertation Services II fees of $2500 each semester you are still working on your dissertation. It doesn't matter if you were ill or unable to do the coursework for whatever reason in the first three years, if you do not finish your dissertation by the end of the third year of the program, you will have to pay $2500 each semester until you are done with your dissertation. This was not clearly explained to me when I began the program. I had a professor who never read a single thing I wrote, or anything the other students in the class wrote either. One student even admitted turning in "crap" and said he got an "A." This is very demotivating when one is paying so much money for the degree. The tuition raises by $100 every year, so by next year it will be $1000 per credit hour. There is a very costly residency in Disney World that is required during the hot-as-hell Florida summer. I spent over $40,000 all told and all I have to show for it is a few more classes on my resume. I cannot afford to continue attending to complete the degree. It's just too expensive.

I am currently enrolled in the NSU Jax

Dec 11 2011PreMed and Medical
I am currently enrolled in the NSU Jax PA program. It is by far not a "diploma mill" as stated by another reviewer. The course material is difficult, contains in depth information and requires significant study, understanding and critical thinking skills to pass the tests. I am in the unique position of having twenty-six years of previous medical experience, with several of those years as a primary care provider in the military. From my perspective, the course content is exceptional. Are there occasional typographical errors in power point presentations? Yes, but they are not to the point of detracting from the content being presented. I would normally expect a person complaining/bothered about such things to have some semblance of punctuation and grammar in their post. In short, I feel the education provided in the NSU JAX PA program to be well worth the tuition. The faculty are open to discuss issues, and the program director frequently has open forums to discuss issues with the students.

This program is jax presents itself as a

Nov 21 2011PreMed and Medical
This program is jax presents itself as a degree mill. with all the pa schools popping up in this state like cancer, its no surprise. actually one student left the program already to attend another school its so bad.

the school is in a business center and i have to walk past a verizon everyday to get to class, the verizon is inside the school. actually, verizon has complained about the students being to noisy. so its more like nsu is in verizons building.

the professors are constantly late, 30 minutes late not 5 minutes. when they get there, they correct students for their tardiness. this is not an exaggeration.

the notes are far from proofread and full of mistakes. unprofessional and sloppy, and that is what is being taught. its one thing to not proofread an email, but to present educational material in such a sloppy manner is inexcusable. this program is overpriced and is basically for students without grades decent enough to get into real schools. apply at any other school and use this schools as a last resort, those last resort pas are sure going to be "wonderful" when they are in practice

worst and most racist

Nov 07 2011Pharmacy
worst and most racist school ever! to anyone who wants to or is thinking about going here, unless u are white or creole, TURN around because those are the only 2 races this school thinks about!
Nov 06 2011Education

This is a diploma mill. Once they get your tuition, they could care less if you receive the Ph.D.

Sep 17 2011Education

Great school

There are many Physician Assistant programs in South

Sep 03 2011PreMed and Medical
There are many Physician Assistant programs in South Florida & throughout the country- do yourself a favor & go anywhere but here! The Fort Lauderdale branch is unorganized & a huge disappointment & waste of money. The faculty & program director specifically are rude, immature, irresponsible, & very unprofessional. I am amazed that this program is still running.. It's a joke

I am located in the Bahamas and attend

May 26 2011Business - Management and Administration
I am located in the Bahamas and attend a student education center for the MBA programme. Professors are flown in from Ft. Lauderdale every weekend which are alternated between undergrad and grad students. The opportunity to complete this degree while still working full time to support myself and not having to relocate is great. The on the job experience and the expertise of the professors are a great combination for the learning experience. The price is pretty hefty and has increased twice of the past year. I'm just glad that I am almost done or else the cost would've been to much.

This university is turning

May 23 2011Business - Management and Administration
This university is turning into an online university. Dont go here unless you plan to take classes online, they dont give you the option to take them on campus!! very disappointed

I want my money back

May 17 2011Education
I want my money back. NSU is milking my dry with dissertation services fees. I'm paying $2,500 a semester for what amounts to a few emails with the dissertation chair. This is the racket - keep stringing you along for those fees. There is no one to talk to, no cohorts for the doctoral programs (that I know of), instructors are MIA. The classes were a joke, lots of hidden fees and overt fees for no reason. Do yourself a favor and run, don't walk from the School of Eduction graduate programs. I feel like a schmuck for going this far with my degree program. What a miserable experience. I'm through with educational research - what bull.

I just started the School Psychology program at

Jan 27 2011Psychology
I just started the School Psychology program at the Tampa SEC and the faculty/staff in this program could not be more supportive. The program is very small, which is a big plus for me because you get one on one time with professors. I also love my cohort cause we all are getting to know each other and we can easily get together for presentations and to study together, if need be. If you are interested in this program most likely you will be with only 5 to 10 other students. They only accept so many a year, especially at the SECs. The program is fairly new compared to USF & UCF, so they are going through the process of becoming NASP approved. However, it should be approved by the end of this year and is definitely approved by the Dept. of Ed, which is the most important. I also think it's great that the School Psy program is in the Center for Psychological Studies Dept. rather than the Education Dept. It makes a whole lot of difference for us Social Science junkies. I also appreciate the schedule of classes. They really cater and understand people need to make a living to survive. I looked into programs that wanted me to take 4 classes a semester for 4 evenings. The way Nova has it set up is you take the most challenging class like Stats once a week and then you alternate taking a class once a month for the entire weekend (Fri night 6 to 10 and Sat & Sun. 9 to 5), so you get all the hours you need for a 3 credit course in 2 weekends. It's tiring, but I love it cause it's manageable. I'm looking forward to continuing this program and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

If you have any

Dec 17 2010Other
If you have any other option, DO NOT GO TO THE SWFL CAMPUS Physician Assistant program. You WILL NOT receive a worthwhile education.

As a student with a strong academic and

Dec 15 2010Business - Management and Administration
As a student with a strong academic and achievement record, I was thoroughly disappointed with this institution. It does not live up to its presentation and proposed offerings, of which I would grade a "C" at best. Many of the students do not perform at the graduate level, which is highly de-motivating for the learning process. In addition, practical opportunities (advertised) are inconsistent at best. This school is for a student who is not really interested in learning and prefers an "EASY" route to graduate credentials. The student just wants another degree. It does not take much to do well at Huizenga. For students who enjoy learning and being challenged . . . BEWARE! This environment will encourage highly negative feelings about education and the learning process. It will de-motivate YOU significantly and affect your performance. I became depressed in regards to the program. In my attempts to be proactive and seek avenues of improvement, I only received lip service-- no action. Only a few professors (3 to be exact) were beneficial. I learned more from casual conversations with two professors in particular than I did in all my classes combined!

The faculty are just plain "amazing" (sarcasm)

Nov 14 2010Education
The faculty are just plain "amazing" (sarcasm)
Dissertation Chair wants my dissertation to sound as if he is writing it himself. Whatever I write sounds too "dissertationise"....isn't this what it is?

MOI Professor is out of touch and has not graded my assignments in a few weeks. When I emailed her she tells me that I am technologically challenged - so I email another student and she is having the same experience. So I guess we all are challenged. We are told to follow the syllabus without due dates...just amazing! Worst of all, this is a Doctoral Level!Trends and Issues was the best so far. At least when I was on the wrong track, Dr. Santilli would let me know immediately and would work to get me on the right track. Dr. Santilli seems to be the only decent professor this place has so far...

NOVA dissertation chairs are paid by semester so the longer

Nov 08 2010Education
NOVA dissertation chairs are paid by semester so the longer it takes it you to complete the dissertation the more they get paid. Do not get sucked in their degree programs.

My experience at Nova was fairly positive overall

Oct 29 2010Business - Management and Administration
My experience at Nova was fairly positive overall. It's the type of school where you get out of it what you put into it. If you're not hitting the books hard and participating in class in order to succeed, that's not the fault of the University. I agree that Nova's brand is not particularly well-respected, but I think that will change over time as they move toward the higher level of academic certification. I enjoyed my time at Nova and I learned a lot too.

Nova Southeastern University has a terrible career services

Sep 25 2010Business - Management and Administration
Nova Southeastern University has a terrible career services department, which seems to expect companies to come to them with postings rather than reach out and try to market its students as well. If you are going to NSU for a Health Sciences degree, then this does not apply to you.

I've also noticed that the school has a lot of wasteful spending, including building employees who can be seen surfing Facebook more than doing actual work.

The school should spend much more on its career services instead of its fancy commercials. I've seen one student in several NSU MBA commercials that had no business being in an MBA program, and was forced to drop a class that I was in because he showed up late every day and contributed nothing to his group.

Some of the teachers are great, while some are a complete joke. The same goes for your classmates. Because they will let almost anyone into the program, you will find that some of your classmates are smart and could have gotten into more prestigious schools, while others you will dread the fact that they will hold the same degree as you. My advice to you is to be very active in your career search through other resources, and expect very little return on your $30,000 investment in this economy.

The school is great, but gets a bum-rap

Jul 12 2010Computer Science
The school is great, but gets a bum-rap with regard to its reputation. It is a brick and mortar school that is treated unfairly by some un-achievers.

Nova has made substantial contributions to the field, as well as the community at large. Unfortunately, because of its beautiful location, many would rather play than study....

Work load is very heavy

Jun 07 2010School of Information
Work load is very heavy. Core courses pertain to rushing to hastily complete work that accomplishes nothing. Students are friendly, apprehensive and arrogant. Faculty is vague, arrogant, sometimes helpful and unconcerned with personal issues.

The DBA program is fantastic

Apr 25 2010Business - Management and Administration
The DBA program is fantastic. The courses are demanding, but the professors are fair and consistent in grading. The Professors are all very reachable and return emails and phone calls promptly. The administration is good, although it took a long time to finally get my acceptance. Very few students admitted to the DBA program means classes are small and scheduling the classes you need could be a problem if it is one that is only offered infrequently. However, all in all, this is a good program and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I was able to

Apr 14 2010Computer Science
I was able to get into academia after Nova. I obtained a full professor position and now I'm a Dean. I attribute quite a lot to the good education that I received at NSU

So far I'm impressed

Feb 13 2010Education
So far I'm impressed with the faculty and my dissertation committee chair. It's nice that my fellow doctoral students are in my age group (30-45) and have similar educational interests. By the way, there is no PhD in education at NSU--only an EdD.

This is a great school!!!!

Jan 31 2010Education
This is a great school!!!! Please don't take some of the negative comments seen on this website at face value. Many of the people who complain about this school have had other issues and are just complete cry babies and are trying to be spiteful.

I learned a lot from this school and I know that I would not have advanced in my career without their support and all of the knowledge I took away from their MATL program in reading.

Best Regards, John Moyer, M.A.

I went to a

Jan 12 2010Education
I went to a great undergrad. and grad. school. I attended Nova for the Phd program in Ed. Its really a joke. I wouldnt dare put them on my resume. The Phd classes are like the classes I took in undergraduate.

I attend NSU and graduated with an MBA

Jan 04 2010Business - Management and Administration
I attend NSU and graduated with an MBA (concentration in finance) with 4/4 GPA. I learned a lot from the program because I was there to learn. The only person I competed with was myself. The program did enable me to land a position with a company, so in this regard I am happy with program.

However, if I were given the opportunity to do my MBA again I would NOT choose NSU. The caliber of students is very low, some graduate level courses are equivalent to high school AP level courses, and the rate of return on NSU's MBA is not very attractive.

An MBA is not a professional degree like an MD, DO, DMD, CPA, CFA, etc. MBA's are not created equal. NSU's MBA does not carry much gravitas in academia or corporate America. NSU is not AACSB (the gold standard for business schools) accredited nor does it require applicants to take the GMAT, provided your undergrad GPA is above a certain level. Yes, I decided to apply and attend NSU because it did not require the GMAT. Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser I definitely would have taken the GMAT if I could go back in time.

If you're looking to do your MBA (or any graduate work) do your research and try to get into the BEST program you can. If you're a South FL resident you should look at FIU, FAU, U of M, or Barry (all AACSB accredited).

I'm planning to go back to school, yet again, to do my PhD in economics. I have taken the GMAT as well as the GRE and did quite well. Best of luck to you!

Like any education, NSU education is what you

Nov 12 2009Computer Science
Like any education, NSU education is what you make of it. The hybrid nature of their programs means you will need to be VERY self-motivated. However, with that being said, support from some faculty could be better...they are apparently seriously overworked to the point that it may be difficult to get the help you need. I am finishing a PhD after 4 1/2 years. I have worked harder for this anything I've ever worked for. Unfortunately, NSU has a fairly negative reputation and that is not helping me in my job search as I am constantly asked about my decision to attend NSU and need to justify it to others. NSU needs to do the work to up their standing in the academic community. This is crucial for the success of their students and the reputation of their faculty.

They never process your loans on time or

Nov 09 2009Psychology
They never process your loans on time or correctly! I am a graduate student and they processed my loans as an undergraduate THREE TIMES! Then, they put late fees on my account because of their mistake and a hold so now I can't even register for classes because of their incompetent employees. No one that works there knows what is going on. They constantly give you the run around and leave you to clean up their mess year after year. Nothing ever changes and they never can do anything right. SAVE YOURSELF THE STRESS.
Nov 09 2009Business - Management and Administration

NSU has become my second home; the Business School has excellent customer service and a valued degree program.

After spending $60,000 and 5 years working on

Oct 27 2009Business - Management and Administration
After spending $60,000 and 5 years working on a DBA at Nova Southeastern University, I did not get my DBA degree because they "moved the goal posts" and required a "Research Based Dissertation," (whatever that means). I finished the program with a 3.85 QCA and I am ABD. Seems the Dean wanted the program status upgraded and despite my Dissertation Chairman and Committee approval of my dissertation (which no one reads anymore) the Dean disapproved and nixed my diploma. DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. Faculty will not help you. They are never there on campus, will not answer phone and the school only WANTS YOUR MONEY. STAY AWAY. DO NOT GO THERE, DO NOT APPLY. There are other schools who charge way less and will help you. TAKE IT FROM ME, I SPENT A FORTUNE ON TUITION, TEXTBOOKS, AIRFARE, HOTELS, TRAVEL and 5 YEARS OF MY LIFE JUST TO BE DENIED. STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY! DO NOT APPLY! THEY ONLY WANT YOUR MONEY! FACULTY ARE HORRIBLE, OUT OF TOUCH, and SIMPLY GO THRU THE MOTIONS. STAY AWAY! Go somewhere else! WARNING! WARNING!WARNING! STAY AWAY!
Oct 09 2009Business - Management and Administration

The worst university in terms of student to professor development. A school that wants your tuition, and nothing else.

Apr 09 2009Chemistry

I have been very impressed with Nova and if I could do it over again. I would.

After completing the coursework

Apr 02 2009School of Information
After completing the coursework for the PhD programs, students are not engaged with the faculty as they should be. Once a semester meeting on campus would be beneficial for studens to support on another.

I have heard good and bad reviews about

Jan 31 2009Education
I have heard good and bad reviews about NSU's EdD program, but find that the bad reviews come from cry babies that want to be bottle fed. It is graduate level work, and the student (online or in the face-to-face) is expected to be independent and work hard. A student gets out of the program the work and effort they put in. Out of 7 professors all save one have been excellent, with lectures and course sessions, lots of resources, and even extensive media for the course (such as video). I did have one terrible teacher who was a 'standards Nazi'...but there are one of those in any school. My dissertation committee is great, and they really challenge me. It is hard to get the dissertation proposal accepted, that is because they don't accept sub-standard quality. If you're not up to par and not willing to work hard, then don't do this EdD program. Several of my professors are also experts in their field, well published and editors of respected peer-reviewed academic journals. I have heard some call the online programs at NSU a 'degree mill'...but if that is the case why am I working my ass off for 3-4 years and coming out with a publication in a peer-reviewed journal? They even have a Fulbright program you can apply to so that you can complete international research if you want. I cannot speak for the other programs at the school, but the EdD program has many merits. The only downside to the program is that it needs more full-time faculty that only focus on the students, and better communication between the students and faculty. Some of my profs have been great, but one was non-existent. Even if it was just one I think that it should be zero in a fully high quality program...though...that said...some profs are non-existent to students in any program at any university.

I feel ripped off, Suze Orman was correct

Jan 27 2009Business - Management and Administration
I feel ripped off, Suze Orman was correct. Many network news stations are tuning in to this type of university and it's degree utilization. You should only take the MBA program if:

a) You're employed and wish to stay in your field.
b) You choose a specific concentration
c) You HAVE work experience alreadyI had 3 years work experience, and feel that this MBA program is for corporate decision makers. Even so, an executive would have a hard time reviewing the basics as NSU MBA does. For example, I became all too familiar with the basics of SUPPLY & DEMAND, MASLOW'S HIERARCHY, PORTER'S FIVE FORCES MODEL, ETC. The caliber of the student is low, so high level business theory is not used (well, very little). I'm a little embarrassed to say I got an MBA from NOVA, if that says anything. Man am I in debt now! What a poor investment. The professors are great though, they really are good at what they do. The curriculum is low level, it's not MASTERS level.

I think that NSU is very complete and

Oct 29 2008Business - Management and Administration
I think that NSU is very complete and has a lot to offer. I went to Florida International University for my Bachelors and when I compare the two institutions I find them very different, each one with their own quality. I can tell you that both are very unique and that they both have the resources to make you a better human and professional. I highly recommend NSU.

This university has a horrible online degree program

Oct 07 2008Education
This university has a horrible online degree program even though they maintain adequate resources to provide instruction, very little instruction occurs. Basically you are paying for a syllabus and someone to answer questions on what the assignment means. Of the 12 classes required, only in three did I receive actual instruction about subject matter. Then when you finish your coursework, a portfolio is required that may or may not have changed over the last year or two. But you are held accountable for all the changes even if you are not notified. This is a horrible example of education, in fact this school does not educate. I can only say my experience will prevent me from ever using any professional who has graduated from this school--doctor, lawyer, optometrist, etc. Spend your money somewhere else and get a degree with substance! NOva is an excellent example of education in the state of Florida.

I've spent a year

Aug 23 2008Business - Management and Administration
I've spent a year here in the Grad program...AS far as the financial aid dept...do yourself a favor and don't waste your minutes. No one picks up the phone...This is a really great school...but, it needs to be better organized & staffed...or just a more customer service attitude.

I am planning to enroll in

Nov 22 2007Unknown
I am planning to enroll in the PhD program in the IS field?
How is the quality of the courses?
How is the quality of the professors?
How many course can a student take each term?
How many hours do I need to study each week?

How is the assignment?
Is it difficult to have A in the classes?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

I am finishing my second semester at Nova

Apr 19 2007Education
I am finishing my second semester at Nova. DO NOT APPLY TO THIS PROGRAM. I am in the distance education program, higher education.

Most faculty are part time and have other jobs. Many are retired faculty members who are just doing this for extra money. No one is available unless you call them at home. Even then, they limit to weekend phone calls at specific times. No one seems to fully understand the dissertation process. The first statistics course is sub-par. Tuition is terribly extremely high. The classes are boring and repetitive.

Go to a traditional university and get the proper education. I am transferring.

The school is beautiful - that's the only

Mar 18 2007Other
The school is beautiful - that's the only positive thing I have to say. The school is beautiful because of the high tuition we all paid to go to a school with a terrible academic reputation. I've never met so many snobby, stuck-up people in one place in my life. People getting into email fights over parking spots. The law library actually had to put a sign up asking students to please not be rude to them or they would get no service. Apparently the rudeness had been a problem - at Nova, I'm not surprised.

this university is a

Mar 29 2006Finance
this university is a complete disaster.....
I would not attend this university even if I got paid to do so.
I would advice all students to be smart and brilliant when it comes to picking a school...
Go to um...

It was very difficult to get involved in

Jan 29 2006Psychology
It was very difficult to get involved in research and the faculty did not have any time to spend with me, not even my supposed "mentor". The clinical aspect of the program is OK. but don't go enroll in the program if you want to get involved in research. I think that the main problem is that too many students are being accepted due to some financial troubles the program is having and everything is spread very thin. The other students are the only good thing about the program and are well trained clincally but many are frustrated(including myself) by the lack of reseach available.

This school is only interested in taking your

Sep 29 2005Computer Science
This school is only interested in taking your money and not providing any return on investment. The dissertation process has been an absolute nightmare - my advisor and commitee members usually take 8 weeks to respond to emails. That means for an entire semester, they bother with you just 2 or 3 times, and you end up taking years and year to complete the process because of their lack of interest. The school knows that the longer they can string you along, the more money they can make and there is nothing you can do.

Also, the feedback in classes is almost non-existent, if you even manage to get feedback during the semester. I wrote a 40-page paper for one class and the only feedback was "good job A- ". Avoid this school if you can.

If the dissertation process is stalled by a

Jan 26 2005Education
If the dissertation process is stalled by a slow advisor or an unsupportive committee, the school earns more money. Nova Southeastern should better ensure, at the outset, that potential graduate students are capable of doing the work. Many students found that the dissertation process was stalled, and therefore, the incurred aditional fees. The university does not, in my opinion, explain all of the expenses -- like the need for a formatting-editor -- at the end of the applied dissertation process. There's more emphasis on the writing format than on creativity. I was sorry once I got deep into the program and could not get my thesis statement approved for many months. Fortunately, I did make it through. Otherwise, I would have lost thousands of dollars that I spent. I have two additional graduate degrees and have the authority to make a comparison between schools. I'm only writing this because I'm ethical and I don't want others to enroll without being aware that the dissertation process could extend years beyond the time expected. I have to admit that this university was "harder" than my ivey league school, but as a teacher, I know it's what you take with you, the learning, that counts most. Students don't want to have to beg their professors for approval each time they encounter a roadblock. An essential part of learning is learning that the grad student is likewise respected by faculty.

Run away from this place

Apr 03 2004Business - Management and Administration
Run away from this place... it's a joke as far as an academic institution is concerned. I completed my MBA degree months ago and it has been nothing but a paperwork nightmare, I still don't have the degree conferred but the school is always quick to take your money. Professors are wanna-be business leaders who don't have a clue about the real world and are behind about 20 years. Run, Run, Run. Some folks call the H. Wayne Huizenga Business School a diploma mill... I would tend to agree.
Get free info from: Nova Southeastern University