StudentsReview :: Palm Beach Atlantic University West Palm Beach - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida International University -- Miami, FL

Palm Beach Atlantic University West Palm Beach

The school changed the semester they offer a

Jul 01 2014Finance
The school changed the semester they offer a class my senior year, causing me to take 21 credits to graduate on time and then charged me because I was over 18 credits. When asked if they would waive the charge Jen was the one I was told to contact and she was very rude and offered no help or advice or even remorse at my misfortunate situation. They also have a "Grade Forgiveness" rule, so if you fail a class you can retake it and have it replace your grade. But if you want to retake a class you got a C or B in, they don't allow it. So you're better off failing the class. They also make it so when you transfer in and out of the school credits don't transfer and it messes up your transcript and major requirements. The teachers are very experienced in the school and great to learn from. When they have been approached about doing a masters at the school, multiple professors have told students to "go to a real school".
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A+, Scholastic Success: C-

I think one of the worst experiences in

Sep 14 2013Other
I think one of the worst experiences in my life I experienced at PBAU. I can recant the story in detail but it would require several paragraphs. Biased opinions would come forth from teachers and people tend to be very judgmental. It might be a Christian school but having been a transfer student and then gone through other schools I think the loving spirit of Christ is the last thing you find here. I would never go to this school again even to do my masters with free tuition. I should of have stuck with my local community college. There was one male teacher that did make all the difference however.
4th Year Male -- Class 2008
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F

Funny how there are all these positive, generic reviews

Feb 22 2014PreMed and Medical
Funny how there are all these positive, generic reviews all in the span of three weeks. Judging from the ones before and after, I bet someone wasn't too happy that PBA is at the bottom of the list. I hope my review is helpful and lets other students choose more wisely than I did.

I'm a current junior at PBA and the decision to attend here has been the worst of my life. They have the most closed-minded demonstration of "Christian" attitude I have ever seen. Their administration cares more about profit than Christ.

I started here wanting to grow as a Christian and the only thing I have learned is that this place only loves you as long as you follow the rules. THE INSTANT you struggle with depression, eating disorders, homosexuality, self-harm, alcohol, or drugs, then you are viewed as a problem. We have an eating disorder week, but it consists of a poster in the student room. That's it. If you are caught with alcohol or drugs, then you're out. No questions, no arguments; I hope it was worth it.

Administration is not interested in you. They have one thing on their mind, and that's money. The president is only present if there's a camera involved. Financial Aid is a waste; you'll end up with thousands of dollars in debt regardless of your scholarships or loans.

Classes are a pathetic. Most teachers are there to hear themselves talk. They are not interested in opinion or free thought; they quite literally just want you to bask in their presence. Pretentious, and definitely not in the top of their field. If you are trying to be any kind of medical professional, then please find another school. Because of their poor scheduling, it takes PBA students 4-5 years to accomplish what other schools could in 3. I have had to course override four semesters in order to keep up with the ever-changing major requirements; I might have to schedule another year.

The social event of the year was a movie on the lawn; between 30/2000 daytime students actually showed, and 10 of them were paid by the school to work the event. The entire city closes at 8, and even the fast food places aren't open 24/7. Speaking of places off-campus: if you don't have a car, then you're screwed.

Dorms are kept up on the outside to appeal to the locals, but the insides are horrendous. My current dorm room is moldy, rat-infested, and has countless fire hazards. When the floor bathroom flooded through the walls into my closet, the solution was to "not put anything on the ground because it could get wet". When the power went out, the school immediately blamed AT&T for their problems instead of the faulty wiring. The caf is even worse. It too is rat-infested and has mold. Their dishwasher breaks on a weekly basis, they have served expired food in the past, and their health inspections have not gone over swimmingly. The campus advertises Chic-fil-A and Einstein's, but it is sourced through Aramark Foods and is therefore not a legitimate franchise associated with either restaurant. Don't expect full menu, reasonable pricing, or decent service.

Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, FL