StudentsReview :: Pensacola Christian College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bob Jones University -- Greenville, SC
Liberty University -- Lynchburg, VA
Indiana University -- Bloomington, IN

Pensacola Christian College

Nov 13 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I write this as a Christian, homeschooling mother of four.
I spent two years at their private high school and a year at the college itself. It was a degrading experience and I was glad I got out. I ran to this school as a way to get out of a bad family situation, but I only managed to run from one emotionally and spiritually abusive situation into another.

The system the college has set up for "moral accountability" is nerve wracking and put me on edge even though I was a line follower. I was a full believer in the school when I started but in the end my fervor was eaten away by the lack of trust and true compassion from the school.

The school was really subtle about their judgmental attitudes. Many of the teachers there truly did care, but the harshness in the system was built into the deans themselves and the floor leaders/student leaders they trained. Someone could smile to your face and turn you in with no qualms the moment your back was turned. Walking around campus you would see students sitting in common areas holding phones. Those were the people you wanted to avoid. As a woman I could walk past two of them and get nailed with a demerit by the third because my shirt was "too tight" on my curvy frame. Skinny, flat chested girls could get away with tighter clothes. Heaven forbid you have an average frame, you are stuck wearing maternity type shirts or jackets all the time.

As a homeschooling mother of four children I cannot recommend this college to anyone and have actively discouraged other homeschool parents from considering this school for their child. I am raising my children to be adults. If my children still need babysitting in their college years, I have failed in my job as a parent. I am not saying that the college experience has to have the cultural expectations of debauchery and wild living. However, I do expect my children to make sound decisions by the time they are legal adults. That should be the goal of any parent who wants what is best for their child.

Starting Job: Homeschool parent Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Aug 15 2014Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I came from a strict church which holds quite similar values to the ones PCC imposes on their students. I was notified from a friend of a small portion of the rules that would be in place there. However, I was never informed of the intense fervor they have for enforcing their arbitrary rules.

In my opinion, based on my experience as a graduating alumnus of this "college", there is no reason anyone should attend this school, Christian or otherwise. One day you may be worried about studying for an exam and getting enough time in at the library, the next, you could be looking a dean in the face wondering if you'll be expelled due to a false accusation from an overzealous floor-leader. No matter how hard you try to stay within the boundaries of the rules and no matter how well you know them, you will be cited for something at some point. All rules can be enforced by any student who decides to play morality police at any time. Even a first day freshman student. There is a guidebook for rules that you can read online or have sent to you, but it does not include the details that can drown you.

It is my opinion that this school is not concerned with how well their students are educated. I believe they are motivated to spread their practices of the "ideal Christian family" on to as many people as will put up with them. Living a certain lifestyle takes priority over any and every academic endeavor.

During an election season, you will be reminded time and again how a certain political candidate is an enemy of God's people. Then conveniently, you don't even have to leave campus to cast your vote.

With all that hassle of living on edge expecting someone to tap you on the shoulder at any moment to point out some superficial flaw, in the end, you aren't getting a single regional credit for your hard work. WHY BOTHER?

4th Year Male -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
Jun 12 2014Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The year I spent attending PCC was the worse year of my life. The campus feels more like a prison than a college. There is a fence with razor wire enclosing the entire campus. They make you go to bed by 11pm every night, even on weekends, no matter what homework projects you may may be working on, no matter what, no exceptions, unless you want demerits. They love to give demerits there and everyone is encouraged to be a snitch. They make you go to chapel church services every single day, and some days you have to go to church more than once, the only exception is if you are sick enough to be in the infirmary. They make you attend a formal dinner every night and make you dress up for dinner too. They also require the students to dress up for all morning classes, no matter what the class was too. Women have to wear a dress or skirt and hose most of the time. The men and women have their own elevators, must not be together in isolated areas, cannot swim together, even at the beach. They have separated beaches for the men and women. You aren't allowed to have any music by a contemporary artist or anything with even the slightest beat. You aren't allowed to have your own opinions about anything and creativity and individuality is totally stifled. This was not a good recipe for being a successful artist. They do not prepare you for the real world unless you want to work at and be totally immersed in a strict, judgmental and very dogmatic church for your whole life. Do not attend this school. Run as far away from it as you can.
1st Year Female -- Class 1990