StudentsReview :: The Ringling College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

School of the Art Institute of Chicago -- Chicago, IL
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
Art Center College of Design -- Pasadena, CA

The Ringling College of Art and Design

Ok starting with the academics, Ringling is aQuite BrightArt & Design Department
Ok starting with the academics, Ringling is a great school, but you have to know where you want to go and what your career plan is. You must come in with a declared major because every class you take is catered to this major. I am in the most competitive major in the school (computer animation) which had a 12% acceptance rate for the 2015/2016 year (the acceptance rates vary by major). Expect to work hard. Also, they aren't here to teach you the basics, you must come in to the program with at least a decent understanding of drawing skills, both in traditional and digital art. Some of the teachers are warm and welcoming, some are harsh and will make you cry; you want those harsh teachers cause they force you to work harder and be better. Ringling doesn't mess around, they treat you like a profesional from day one so be prepared to not miss a single class, never be late, never make any excuses, and treat your art as your job.

When it comes to social life, we aren't all just weird hermits. Yes most of us love anime but there are also parties every weekend, games of manhunt and capture the flag each friday, clubs, events, beach trips, and lots of stuff to do. Most of the socializing you will do will be the shenanigans you get up to with your floormates. (the dorms here are fantastic btw). The thing is, with all the work you have to do, YOU WILL be INCREDABLY BUSY. You will make lots of friends, and people at ringling are really supportive and accepting, and you can have fun, but don't let that get in the way of work. But all in all, socializing is not a problem and you won't be missing out on any fun since there's fun to be had all around.

Don't take all the negative comments too seriously. Ringling is really hard and thus it has a steap drop out rate, so a lot of people get super bitter about it and go on rants. Ringling is amazing.

But, just as a warning, Ringling pours most of its time, money, and resources into its most popular and succesful majors, thus computer animation and game art are some of the best programs that you can find in the country, meanwhile majors like fine arts and some of the design majors are left by the wayside, so be careful in choosing your career. (motion design and illustration are also very good here)

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: D+
Ringling is a great school if you knowAverageDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Ringling is a great school if you know what you want to do. I came into it as a transfer student and into the Game Design major. Don't come here if you're unsure of what major you want to take. It's extremely expensive and ultimately will take you so much longer to graduate. The school has little pity for those who need to retake classes and/or change majors. They kind of expect that you're rich or have all the time in the world.

That said- THIS SCHOOL IS SINK OR SWIM. Not only do they not care about your academic career timeline, but the classes are extremely challenging. Teachers give you a brief demo and project explanation then throw you into the water. You learn and ultimately master 7 programs in a few short years. It's overwhelming often but it forces you to be agile and do a lot of self learning- which is what the industry is calling for. I've pulled countless all nighters and typically work until 3am 6 days a week. A project that would take me months now only takes me 2 weeks. My skills are being refined and I learned so much within these last few years. The teachers are typically very helpful and will go out of their way if you show initiative. The game art program in particular is really the start of your career. Teachers are game vets or still working on projects themselves. Industry professionals visit often. What you produce could ultimately get you picked up for an internship/job quickly. TLDR; Like I said this school is VERY challenging. If you're clear on what path you want to take come here. If you're determined and confident in your budding skills, come here. Don't come here if you have little work ethic, can't stand competitive atmospheres, or can't take critique. Ringling will eat you whole.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D
I was a transfer student into the RinglingBright
I was a transfer student into the Ringling class of 2019, and my advice: unless you're willing to jump through hoops for months attempting to find out where your credits are going and if they're even going to be accept, there's no point in coming here. I'm unfortunately leaving with only 90% of my tuition refunded. I had 21 transfer credits, all of those are being applied as electives. Right now when im supposed to be buying books and preparing for class, i have to wait to see if the department heads will approve my portfolio so my transfer credit of drawing II will replace drawing I. my junior level writing course is not satisfactory for their writing studio. It?s astounding to me how hard to access the administration is, and i seriously doubt my portfolio is even being reviewed. For the great reputation this college supposedly holds, I see no evidence in the way the administration treats their students, or in the behavior of the students themselves.

My adviser is extremely condescending, as is the registrar. On top of it, i have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, while meeting with faculty to discuss my disability and how it may affect my class work, even while my condition is recognized by the university and I have an official plan set up, i got the wonderful initial comment of "you don't look disabled." I'm truly honored to be taught figure drawing for the second time again by a teacher who believes i have to be drooling to be considered disabled, and assume my disability is a mental one. The students are extremely socially inept and childish, and the older ones are condescending also. I went to the cafeteria this morning dressed someone nicely and i had 6 upperclassman guys follow me and say "DAT ASS THO" ?TURN AROUND LET ME SEE THOSE TITS? in a fucking cafeteria. When I spoke to student life, all they said was ?Well upperclassman are thirsty!?

Im extremely concerned about how sexual assault is not addressed on campus also, only one mention in an orientation and an online class is not enough in my opinion to keep students safe. Honestly, I feel like im at a summer camp and not at a school. While students are handed opportunities on a silver platter, I can see that the maturity of those attending lacks so much to not even being able to finish a semester and the self care to be able to take on the course load. I?m so frustrated by the way I?ve been treated, and how the atmosphere of this school actually is, so im leaving. I wish I didn't convince myself that their career services are worth dealing with a school of immature children, and inadequate administration. When I spoke to my adviser, Dr. something, I loved to hear her adopt an arrogant tone immediately without reviewing my work about how Ringling's classes are better. So far, all I?ve seen is them hold my hand and hold me back. I?m so extremely disappointed in what this school was supposed to be. A great self importance doesn't mean the school is great at all.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019