StudentsReview ™ :: The Ringling College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

School of the Art Institute of Chicago -- Chicago, IL
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
Art Center College of Design -- Pasadena, CA

The Ringling College of Art and Design

What a waste of lifetime and money

Mar 03 2014Video/Media
What a waste of lifetime and money. This money hungry prison simply uses the students talents to get their accreditation up and to make money off them. I could have learned more about film in 2 weeks watching youtube videos then the 1 semester i was here at ringling. No student should pay $200,000 for a 4 year school, the students that go here are blind to that either because they are rich or just think they will leave the small ghetto school and get hired by a production company. There isn't many successful alumni here, most are realizing the school was a complete joke. There isn't much variety of personalities here, mostly stuck up, overweight, scary, dweeby, or oddly too nice. I could n't complain enough about this school, i had more fun in 6th grade then at ringling. The school is a wasteland on the weekends and the parties are just awful. If you can even find one that is decent. There is crackheads walking through here all the time because the school isn't even in the nice part of sarasota. The food is fattening and disgusting. I'd rather eat cardboard with ranch. Minus brickman but they don't give you any damn food. The kids who come here obviously went to a boring high school where they don't understand how to have fun on the weekends. The teachers give you bullshit homework most of the time. I didn't learn a damn thing the first semester literally. I had all a's and b's though. I was in keating, which was just about as creepy as an abandoned jail at night. The fact that i had to walk all the way down the hall for running water was absurd. Even if you have a car, good luck finding other people to go to the beach with, none of the girls i met enjoyed it? The first semester i was highly jelly of all my former high school grads who were attending normal universities. i saw instagrams of them meeting good looking guys, at fun parties, going to dances and football games, and here I am getting convinced to watch anime with a guy. There is a reason there is only a 1000 kids here, I really hope the dropout rate increases so kids don't waste their young lives here. Looking for a husband or wife? You won't find one here. They have a facebook crush page, which I find hilarious. Every post on the page is like "i'm too shy to talk to you, but I hope you talk to me." Like wtf? Go to any real colleges crush page and compare it to ringlings. I've seen the goofiest clothes ever here, girls with giant bunny ears casually walking around, guys with halloween costumes on every day, girls who dress as if they are 65 years old, and guys who look like they are from an anime movie. The school is only worth $5000 a year if that. I feel like this school is more of a safe haven for outcasts who avoid the real world so they can do projects and watch anime all the time. All the hot guys dropped out the first semester. So good luck with that girls. There were some decent well rounded people here, though many of the ones I met dropped out. I have nothing nice to say about my experience here besides the weather. Oh yeah. The teachers are artists, not teachers. They grade your work based off their opinions. Please do not go here i beg you. Save the money and go to a real school with real people.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F

I thought going here I bought into everything

Nov 27 2013Art & Design Department
I thought going here I bought into everything they advertise on their website. Little did i know Id have THE WORST experience ever. The Head of the Painting/Art Department Farber was so rude to me he said my painting looked like it had a penis. Never taught me ANYTHING. Just gave biased opinions on the work just like all the other teachers there. All they care about is the money. They dont care about the students at all. I got sick, I almost died too.I actually fell on campus the first day and from there I already exceeded my 2 or 3 day max for absences no teacher told me that so in every class my grade suffered for it. NO ONE HELPED ME AT ALL. Im transferring schools, they all told me to leave, no one cared i almost died and wouldnt help me with catching up on my work. THEY ALL GAVE ME Fs. Not one teacher said sorry you almost died here I can help you. All the students are stuck up too that I met. They all think theyre going to be famous which theyre not! SO expensive its over 50,000 to go here plus more money for supplies and food. If youre a nice talented artist who genuinely loves art DO NOT GO HERE. It'll ruin your love for it and have no faith in humanity. Im SO UPSET with this GOD AWFUL SCHOOL. The staff was THE WORST COLLEGE IVE EVER BEEN TO! DO NOT GO HERE YOULL WASTE YOUR TIME.MONEY, AND GENUINE LOVE OF ART.

If you do not come to this college

Jul 24 2013Art & Design Department
If you do not come to this college with a STRONG art background in drawing of all types do not apply. They continue to advertise that "students with no formal training are welcome". Don't do it. They take those students' money and flunk them out of Game Art and Computer Animation. There is no quality direct instruction at all. Professors are artists who cannot teach. It is survival of the fittest and they rank students from day one. There is no real help ever given. And if you have any learning differences good luck. They talk a great game when you are applying and then they don't even try to follow through. Very disappointing college. Wish I never said yes to Ringling. Once you are there difficult to transfer out. No social life. Students in a constant state of stress, worry, etc. Not just during exams.Ringling education needs a complete overhaul. The talented students who come here talented and are highly skilled ALREADY make the name for the school. It is NOT the school that has made them what they are. If you make it through and are at the top of your class you will do well in finding a job. That is if you can survive the stress. Don't go here.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015